Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/48 La-5F build (Zvezda kitbash from La-5 and La-5FN)
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 02:33:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/48 La-5F build (Zvezda kitbash from La-5 and La-5FN)  (Read 51247 times)
4bogreen

« on: May 23, 2013, 12:37:49 PM »

Hey guys  Cheesy

I know i am currently busy on my MiG-3. The thing is that i have few time to paint and more time to build. Now i am polishing and correcting the air intakes on the MiG's wing and that is hell to do. Because i want to make the nose in Alclad polished aluminum, i have to make the surface of the nose flawless and it takes a lot of time. So i started out to build the La-5F...The speed and ease of build of this kit is excellent and progress is good. I never thought i would make this so quick, because i am several months busy with the MiG-3. I build the La-5F in no less than three weeks... Shocked

I use both Zvezda kits of the Lavochkin 5 series to build a La-5F. The only kit available is the superb Vector resin kit. Sadly it also has a superb price of 70 euro's in my LHS... Sad
A other option is to use a resin modification set of Loon models for the La-5FN kit. This modification is 17 euro's in my LHS. The La-5 costs 16 euro's and i have spare parts to use for maybe my LaGG-3. The choice i had was easy, buy the two Zvezda kits. I also bought Eduard upgrade PE and AML La-5F decals. Still not thatching the Vector price here...

The scavenged parts from the nose of the La-5 kit. Later i also used the upper wing roots of the La-5 kit.

The wing roots are used from the La-5 kit. In the La-5FN kit they have aluminum plates fixed here. I made the rear seat cussing myself from a part of Evergreen plastic. No cussing is delivered with the kit.

I wanted to make the maintenance hatch open, so you can see whats inside. I cut out the hatch and made a new one myself.

Because the maintenance hatch is open, i also had to made the interior a bit further than the kit shows.

Some internal details made here. Oxygen bottles, fuel filters, battery case and radio set. few modifications i had to made to make it more accurate. I use the MBI books of the La-5 and La-7. I saw that they made an error with the position of the oxygen bottles and radio here. Zvezda used the lay out of the La-7 (radio and oxygen bottles) on their La-5FN kit. The La-5F radio and oxygen bottles were on a different location than on the La-7. I don't know if the rear lay out of the oxygen bottles and radio were different between the La-5F and La-5FN. i have to research this...

Regards,

Remco   

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 01:47:54 PM »

Hi Remco,
it looks very promissing Smiley I also thought about something like that - how to make La-5F from existing Zvezda kits.
Plus, how to make La-7. Somewhere on scalemodels.ru they wrote that best choice could be Zvezda plus Eduard, but it requires too much surgery. Sad Of course, all that in 1:48.
What camo are you going to do?

66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 03:01:59 PM »

Hi Remco,
maybe you could use the advanced pieces for a two-seater La-5  trainer. There is a cockpit and canopy to scratchbuild, but looks feasible.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 06:53:20 PM »

Hey guys,

@ 66misos,
I almost forget to mention the camo  Roll Eyes Its Ivan Kozhedub's plane. Most modelers are making Ivan's La-7, but i allready had seen a nice camo on the La-7. I have the Eduard La-7 profipack, and liked the boxart camo of the Baltic sea/ Leningrad area units. White tail and nose, very cool. I am breaking my head to kitbash the Eduard and the Zvezda tougheter. I have read it also on scalemodels.ru. i think you have to use the wings and nose from Eduard and from the cockpit on till the tail, the Zvezda. The cockpit walls have pour detail, so you can better use the Zvezda cockpit here. The armor plate on the side you can make of styrene sheet youself. Detail on the armorplate from Eduard is poor, no small holes here were the riveting took place here...

@ Massimo,
I don't like two seaters in general (except on the MiG-31  Grin), but its very tempting to build something unique here...hmmm...I start to like your idea...I think i can make a La-5 uti, but i had other plans for it. I wanted to make a fully exposed La-5. All hathes open and a damaged outer wing part were you can see the internal structure, a new wing part and the internal structure of the inner wing part were the landing gear is...very ambitious, but still thinking how to build this  Grin

On the bench,
B_Realistic

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 08:02:36 PM »

@Remco
I love the way you made the access hatch and to make some extra adjustments.
It give me the extra edge to make my Mig-19 as even good.
And then the Hs-129? Cheesy
4bogreen

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 09:04:50 PM »

@ Michel,
I like the acces hatch to. Its a nice way to see inside. The fuel filters were a bit of a challange. especially the wire around it. i drilled a hole to put the wire in, and it split in two... Roll Eyes I glued the halves toghether and drilled them again with good results. I think your MiG wil be good, no doubt here  Smiley

The Hs-129 we build next  Cheesy

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:10:58 PM »

Hi Remco,
I don't like two seaters in general (except on the MiG-31  ), but its very tempting to build something unique here...hmmm...I start to like your idea...I think i can make a La-5 uti, but i had other plans for it. I wanted to make a fully exposed La-5. All hathes open and a damaged outer wing part were you can see the internal structure, a new wing part and the internal structure of the inner wing part were the landing gear is...very ambitious, but still thinking how to build this 
Sounds interesting, but be careful not to make too heavy damage, else it is difficult that the plane lands safely. Such an idea could be more suitable for an Il-2, there are lots of photos to take ispiration and to prove that the plane landed.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 09:35:44 PM »

Hi Remco,
I don't like two seaters in general (except on the MiG-31  ), but its very tempting to build something unique here...hmmm...I start to like your idea...I think i can make a La-5 uti, but i had other plans for it. I wanted to make a fully exposed La-5. All hathes open and a damaged outer wing part were you can see the internal structure, a new wing part and the internal structure of the inner wing part were the landing gear is...very ambitious, but still thinking how to build this 
Sounds interesting, but be careful not to make too heavy damage, else it is difficult that the plane lands safely. Such an idea could be more suitable for an Il-2, there are lots of photos to take ispiration and to prove that the plane landed.
Regards
Massimo

True Massimo. I had the idea to make a salvo of 7.62 and one 20mm hole in the middle next to the fuel tanks (lucky that the fuel tank was missed  Grin) The wooden wing could take more punishment then a metal wing. I was not planning something wild here. Just a couple of bullet holes. I have to work the idea out and see some bullet hole photo's for ideas...

On the bench,
learstang

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 06:04:51 PM »

How about this for some Il-2 damage:

Regarding the wooden wings, with the Shturmovik, it was found that the metal-covered wings were tougher than the wooden-covered wings, as often a large piece of the wooden skin would be blasted away by a shell penetrating through the wing, whilst the metal wing would only have a small entry and exit hole for the shell.  The metal wing was also lighter, and Sergey Ilyushin was always pushing to have the metal wings universally made for all Il-2's.  The only reason they used the wooden wings was because of a shortage of aluminium.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Troy Smith

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 03:30:07 AM »

I use both Zvezda kits of the Lavochkin 5 series to build a La-5F. The only kit available is the superb Vector resin kit. Sadly it also has a superb price of 70 euro's in my LHS... Sad
A other option is to use a resin modification set of Loon models for the La-5FN kit. This modification is 17 euro's in my LHS. The La-5 costs 16 euro's and i have spare parts to use for maybe my LaGG-3. The choice i had was easy, buy the two Zvezda kits. I also bought Eduard upgrade PE and AML La-5F decals.

HI Remco

great work, and useful info regards interior detail...

but you seem unaware that that AML decals include resin parts to make an La-5F from the FN kit? Or was yours missing.  

I have the set, it looks good.

http://www.eshop.aml.cz/lang-en/decals-1-48/197-lavochkin-la-5f.html

they also do    Lavochkin La-5F Russian Aces
also with resin,
http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AMLD4823

Probably not of use to you now...

oh, AML do the same sets in 1/72
http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AML72050

I don't pay much attention to 1/72nd much, but I know there are folks here who do.

cheers
Troy
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 03:31:58 AM by Troy Smith » Logged
4bogreen

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 08:07:35 AM »

Hi Troy,

I have the AML Lavochkin La-5F Russian aces decals and the resin parts are excellent for use. I am going to use the exhaust and exhaust covers. These are more thinner then the kitparts, and save time because i don;t have to sand them ''on to scale''. Why i use the La-5? The metal panel behind the exhaust of the La-5F is different then the panel of a La-5FN. The panel is the same as of the La-5.
The difference exactly? There are two holes (ventilation or something) next to the exhaust of the La-5/La-5F. On the La-5FN there are three holes and the holes are moved more to the cockpit... That is not an part that is included in the AML set. I can try to fill the holes and make new ones, but the detail from the kit is so excellent, i think i destroy more detail than i can add. Also i want to paint this panel in Alclad II and things have to to be as smooth as possible (i see with my MiG what a monstrous job that is  Roll Eyes). I want to build the whole Lavochkin family of fighters (LaGG-3, La-5, La,5F, la-5FN and La-7), and it if i line them up, you can (maybe) distinguish the detail on these planes  Cheesy

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
4bogreen

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 08:21:54 AM »

How about this for some Il-2 damage:

Regarding the wooden wings, with the Shturmovik, it was found that the metal-covered wings were tougher than the wooden-covered wings, as often a large piece of the wooden skin would be blasted away by a shell penetrating through the wing, whilst the metal wing would only have a small entry and exit hole for the shell.  The metal wing was also lighter, and Sergey Ilyushin was always pushing to have the metal wings universally made for all Il-2's.  The only reason they used the wooden wings was because of a shortage of aluminium.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason, WOW!! that is some ''battle damage''  Cheesy This must be damage due bombing or strafing the airfield were the IL-2 was stationed. If you have this as damage on three miles high in the sky, i would sh*t my...  Lips Sealed, eh... be very scared... Grin . I going to make the IL-2 with the Leningrad drawing on it. Looks very nice  Cheesy Or maybe i must make more IL-2's because the variation  Grin Grin Grin
If you want to make an accurate IL-2, you must have a lot of aftermarket stuff  Sad. I know now..., so a second IL-2 is unlikely...

On the bench,
Troy Smith

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 04:19:27 PM »

Hi Troy,

I have the AML Lavochkin La-5F Russian aces decals and the resin parts are excellent for use. I am going to use the exhaust and exhaust covers. These are more thinner then the kitparts, and save time because i don;t have to sand them ''on to scale''. Why i use the La-5? The metal panel behind the exhaust of the La-5F is different then the panel of a La-5FN. The panel is the same as of the La-5.
The difference exactly? There are two holes (ventilation or something) next to the exhaust of the La-5/La-5F. On the La-5FN there are three holes and the holes are moved more to the cockpit... That is not an part that is included in the AML set. I can try to fill the holes and make new ones, but the detail from the kit is so excellent, i think i destroy more detail than i can add. Also i want to paint this panel in Alclad II and things have to to be as smooth as possible (i see with my MiG what a monstrous job that is  Roll Eyes). I want to build the whole Lavochkin family of fighters (LaGG-3, La-5, La,5F, la-5FN and La-7), and it if i line them up, you can (maybe) distinguish the detail on these planes  Cheesy

Regards,

Remco

Hi Remco

thanks for the information, a detail I'd not noticed....have to check the kits later!

cheers
Troy
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 08:41:44 PM »

Hi,
do not forget for another more visible differences between La-5F and La-5FN:

La-5 & La-5F:

- no additional metal panel behind the one just behind exhaust pipes,
- no metal plates on the wing root.

La-5FN:

- additional (camouflaged) metal panel behind the one just behind exhaust pipes, could be in 2 variants - the one on the picture and extended version,
- metal plates on the wing root.

Regards,
     66misos

4bogreen

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 09:07:06 PM »

66misos,
I agree 100% with you. I wanted to post some photo's with the difference, but you beat me to it  Cheesy
Currenly the cockpit is in airbrushed in A-14 grey. Tomorrow i wil add a transparent layer for protection against weathering with oil/ turpentine based paints...This plane builds quite easy  Cheesy i like this kit.

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: