Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
accurate plans for La-9/La-11? for a potential project
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 02:54:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: accurate plans for La-9/La-11? for a potential project  (Read 4657 times)
Troy Smith

« on: September 18, 2013, 10:15:29 PM »

Hi all

over at Airwar.ru there are a couple of zip files of plans of the La-11

http://airwar.ru/other/draw/la11.html

http://airwar.ru/other/draw2/la11kr.html

Does anyone know if either are in way based in reality?  Or is there a source of good La-9/11 plans.
there are side profiles only in the Yefim Gordon Monograph.

Just checking, as I'm waiting on a very cheap Hobbycraft La-7 kit, which was cheap enough [5GBP post paid] that i might try to butcher it into a La-9 or 11....

I'm sure I asked about doing this once before, but can't find the thread [maybe on the invision site?] and was told 'NO'
I know there is the lovely Scale Bureau kit, with it's lovely $100 price tag.

But looking at some basic 3 views of Airwar.ru,

it but might, just might with some extreme brutality be possible to bully it into an La-9 or 11 [possibly with some mustang bits, plastic card, filler and crack?]

vs

I thought it was bonkers until I noticed they have the same wingspan and length pretty much... and that the engine cockpit and wing postion are about the same?

I also have some scrap kits which might help, like a Mustang, Fw 190, or even Bf110 [for outer wings...]

I know this is a lot of potentai chopping, grafting and filling....
[ you should see my half built VL Pyorremyrsky a bastard hybrid of a much chopped Airfix Hurricane with 109F nose...] so if my guesstimation of the basic fuselage chunk is not too off, then this may be do-able?

so......which are the better plans? 

comments, suggestion, hysterical laughter all welcome

cheers
T

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 07:55:36 AM »

Hi Troy,
I think that the drawings seen on Airwar are good.
There is a good monograph from Armada with lots of photos and profiles. Your sketch looks copied from their drawings, apart for the position of the views. I think it is good.
La-9 is a very nice plane, but the differences respect to the La-7 are very wide and your project would turn into an huge work. Keep in mind that you will to rebuild the wings. I don't suggest to change the outer half only, because you could find that the La-7 wingroots and the Me-110 wings have different thickness and curvature.
The rear fuselage should be cut away, cutten into two pieces to be less deep and reshaped. The canopy is different. All is different.
Well, it is a feasible work anyway, but at the end you have to compare your result to the resin kit and I am pretty sure you will be unhappy to have spared 100 $.
Scratchbuilding is nice, but I suggest to choose any subject that is not already covered by kit producers.
Besides this type was utilized by Chinese AF, and the recent explosion of kits manufactured in China let me think that a La-9/11 could be released as soon as your scratchbuilt model is ready to be painted.
You can use your La-7 kit improving it as an usual La-7. It is scarcely detailed, but the shape of the canopy area looks better than the other existing kit.
Pyorremyrsky... have you considered to use a G-55 as a base? At a first glance, the wing looks much more similar.
Regards
Massimo
Troy Smith

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 11:04:12 PM »

Hi Massimo

thanks for the detailed answer.

I have 3 [i think] of the Gavia/Eduard La-7 anyway.

If the canopy is better that might be of use.

Interestingly looking at the Gordon Lavochkin monograph this evening is that not only is the wing span the same, but so is the wing area!

Now, looking at the drawings  above, I can see the rear of the wing is narrower, so maybe more a question of changing the tip shape and removing material from the trailing edge.  Many years ago I built up the wing tip of a Bf109F into an E shape [this was about 1980 and the only E was a very poor monogram kit] so I know it's not that hard. 

Regarding the rear fuselage, I don't know if it is much shallower, I think much of that is the reprofiled fuselage spine/higher canopy.

Anyway, I'll wait until I have the kit in hand.   I was really wondering about decent plans, and then having a close look.   If me doing it gets a proper injection kit from China it will be worth doing anyway Wink

There was a Scale Bureau La-11 or 9 [can't remember] kit for sale in the UK for ?40,[about US$ 60]  which I pondered on [as ?40 is still a lot of cash for kit] then site got taken down when i did have some spare cash, and when I contacted him he said he couldn't find it ... I have emailed again so it might turn up...

as for the Pyorremyrsky, maybe a G55 would be better,  but I didn't have a spare G55, but i did have several part built Hurricanes, and the 109F nose [from the aborted E conversion long ago mentioned above] so with some squinting and printed out plans I had a go.

the wing was easy enough, but the nose, while looking in photos like an F nose, actually has the 13mm guns, now in the 109 these needed bumps to cover them, but in the Pyorremyrsky they widened the cowling. 

I'll have another go when I get a model bench back, as the Finnish AF museum were incredibly helpful, and emailed lots of very high res photos of airframe details, as well as sending me some plans.
The also sent me info on the VL Humu, the Finnish copy of the Buffalo with a wooden wing.   I have a part done one of those too!
Both of these airframes are in the FAF museum in Tikkakoski BTW.

cheers
Troy

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 02:07:47 PM »

Hi Troy,
I think it will be a bit difficult to adapt the canopy of Hobbycraft (or a vacu replacement for it that should be available) with the fuselage of Gavia, that follows the drawings of MBI monograph as the La-7 of Eduard. It will require works on the fuselage.
About the La-9, if the wingspan and area are the same and the shape is different, you can't convert it by simply removing material, you'll have to add also.
The director of the Finnish museum was kind with me too, for example when I asked about their remains of I-15 bis from the lake to see the color and he sent a photo and a report.
I would like very much to go there and see all their exhibits and the stored pieces.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: