Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/48 Accurate Miniatures Yak-1b- In Progress
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 03:26:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/48 Accurate Miniatures Yak-1b- In Progress  (Read 13268 times)
jonbius

« on: June 09, 2013, 03:00:07 PM »

This is AM's 1/48 Yak-1b. Very nice kit. Markings are Yugoslavian, from Lift here! Decals "Soviet Fighters in Yugoslavia, Part Two" (Y-48LH). Lift here! is out of Serbia and are available in the US from Linden Hill imports. Pretty good decals. Printed by Begemont. Paints are Akan AMT-7/AMT-11/AMT-12.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »

Hi Jon,
interesting model. The first photo shows a sort of metallic shining.
I thought that Yugoslav national insignas had yellow outlines around the red star.
I'm very interested to see the model when completed.
Regards
Massimo
B_Realistic

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 08:37:41 PM »

@Massimo
I presume that the silvering on the first pictures is merely a problem with light.
@Jonbius
Yet another great build so far. You're a machine. Cheesy
jonbius

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 09:11:21 PM »

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I thought that Yugoslav national insignas had yellow outlines around the red star.

I have no idea to tell the truth. I know 0% about Yugoslavian aviation, other than it probably involved airplanes. Smiley So I'm going with what is on the decal sheet instructions.

The first photo shows a sort of metallic shining.

I presume that the silvering on the first pictures is merely a problem with light.

Correct... it's odd. The model is covered in Future right now, but it's smooth to the touch, and visually doesn't look that way in person. Guess it's the light catching tiny variations in the surface and reflecting them. That or aliens. Cheesy

Yet another great build so far. You're a machine. Cheesy

Cheesy I do have a production line going!

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
learstang

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 01:05:09 AM »

Good work, Jon - keep the production line going!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
B_Realistic

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:45:16 AM »

@Jonbius
Is the Future sprayed?
I also had the same appearance when sprayed.
When painted by brush it's more smooth.
jonbius

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 11:19:31 AM »

Is the Future sprayed?

Yes, it's sprayed. Later weathering and flat coat cover that up, though. I don't like hand brushing it just because it takes a longer. Smiley

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
jonbius

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 03:57:10 PM »

She's finished. Nice kit. As with any AM kit, there are a few bits that are fiddly, but nothing too bad.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 04:25:14 PM »

Hi Jon,
it's a nice model. The Yugoslav markings make it unusual. Is the pinkish look of the colors real, or a photo artifac?
Sorry to say, but I fear that you've  put one of the decals upside down.
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 06:46:05 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
jonbius

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 08:08:55 PM »

Hi Jon,
Is the pinkish look of the colors real, or a photo artifac?

That's just my awful photography. Don't know why it always has a red cast to it.

Sorry to say, but I fear that you've  put one of the decals upside down.

Dang! I sure did.... oh well.... maybe that was so people could see it when he flew upside down? Smiley

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Seawinder

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 12:35:34 AM »

That's just my awful photography. Don't know why it always has a red cast to it.

Hi Jon. You might be able to improve the color balance of your photos by adjusting the camera settings. Most digitals have, at the very least, the ability to correct for various types of light source. Some, like the Canon G12 I use, also allow you to tweak each general light source setting on a sliding scale between more red and more blue. The camera manual should have instructions about accessing the adjustment, and you may find a setting that gives more accurate looking results by trial and error.

Of course, there's always the option of color correction after exposure in some application like PhotoShop, but if you can get the camera to give good results on its own, it's quite a bit less work.

Cheers,
Pip
learstang

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 02:54:19 AM »

Despite the upside down Guards emblem (or perhaps because of it?), a very nice model, Jon!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
jonbius

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 04:59:25 PM »

Hi Jon. You might be able to improve the color balance of your photos by adjusting the camera settings. Most digitals have, at the very least, the ability to correct for various types of light source. Some, like the Canon G12 I use, also allow you to tweak each general light source setting on a sliding scale between more red and more blue. The camera manual should have instructions about accessing the adjustment, and you may find a setting that gives more accurate looking results by trial and error.

Of course, there's always the option of color correction after exposure in some application like PhotoShop, but if you can get the camera to give good results on its own, it's quite a bit less work.

Cheers,
Pip

Thanks for those tips, Pip. To be honest, I'm not sure what my camera will do. It's a cheap camera (less than $70) I've had for 5+ years. My photos used to look better, I'm not sure what has changed. I'll poke around the settings and see what I can come up with! Another thing I may try differently is not using Google Picasa's built in "color corrections" to process the photos. Maybe the reddish color may be coming from there.

Despite the upside down Guards emblem (or perhaps because of it?), a very nice model, Jon!

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason! I did have a Homer Simpson moment when I saw that. Smiley But I just laughed and moved on.... I have a Spitfire Mk. Vb that will be in Yugoslavian markings, a P-40B that will be in Russian markings, and a new P-47D commission build that just came in to start, so I just keep rolling along.

And I've got a Spitfire Mk. IXc that will also be in Yugoslavian markings, and an Il-10 to build! (And I have to start my Tu-2 sometime.... I really want to build that one.)

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
B_Realistic

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 08:48:44 AM »

@Jonbius
My Tu-2 is also waiting after I've finished my Mig-19PM. Cheesy
Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 08:33:23 PM »

Nice work, Jon.  Is the Il-10 you intend to build the Special Hobby 1/48 kit?  If it is, be prepared for a difficult battle.  I did one about 3 years ago and it was one of the most difficult limited run kits I have built.  Just about nothing fit and one fuselage half was longer than the other. 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: