Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
La-5F Galchenko camo?
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 01:32:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: La-5F Galchenko camo?  (Read 17209 times)
Saivila

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 12:49:31 PM »

Yes. Not pilot suit but army officers "sunday suit."  This is not only a snapshot for sure.
But this aircraft is not look grounded, and perhaps this photo proves only that someones
gonna fly this plane quite soon.  Perhaps demonstration over parade, or transmission flight,
or something.     I think this writing has originally done, and pic released, on soviet days.
Could be a totally wrong rendition but still exists on book printed on two years ago.
First volume of this " Wrecks in Lappland " (not translated, Finnish only ) 
is released about 1989/90. 

Regards tt
Saivila

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 01:04:18 PM »

Few notes more. Cant say for sure was that photo and text on this older print.
I don't have this book, but if you look carefully there is allso a wrong type identification
on Finnish as LA5FN. 

regards tt
Troy Smith

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 09:26:12 PM »

Just received from Tapani:

This was not taken on any parade or exhibition but on a base near Murmansk. Anyway the war between Finland and USSR
was over in October 44 when this image is reported  to have been taken.

Regards
Massimo

great photo. But I dont see a red/white tail stripe, just white. I also don't see any stars in the panel beneath the cockpit.  Maybe just poor photo reproduction.  But even soo I see sign of another tail band colour.   

cheers
T
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 10:31:30 PM »

It is a bit strange... I can see two dark lines on the white spinner, but the star is by much more pale, and I can't see starlets on the white rectangle nor the red band on the tail. I wonder if the painting shown in that photo is definitive, and if a further photo does exist.
Perhaps the lines on the spinner aren't red.
Regards
Massimo
Troy Smith

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 03:30:40 AM »

Hi Massimo

Ah, The Joy of Profiles! 

The star behind Galchenko left elbow looks to be the same tone as the darker spinner bands. 

Note the profile shows a grey base and tip, the photo shows them 'white'

As for the victory stars, if small [and/or yellow outlined]  perhaps just overwhelmed by the white background in the exposure of the photo, thouh for a posed 'HSU' photo [I assume that is a HSU star? too late and tired to look it up sorry]  then the victory board would be an important part of the image.

be interesting to see a better photo, but I'm always happy to see VVS photos I've not seen before especially if slightly exotic.

cheers
T
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 06:33:40 AM »

Hi,
The star behind Galchenko left elbow looks to be the same tone as the darker spinner bands.
Coud be a question of exposure? The bands look so uniformly dark.
About the tail: I've tried to darken the image, but no any band appears on the white one, nor stars on the board. I suppose that they were painted later, because such a board without victory stars makes no sense.
Regards
Massimo
Troy Smith

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 02:32:26 PM »

Hi,
Coud be a question of exposure? The bands look so uniformly dark.
About the tail: I've tried to darken the image, but no any band appears on the white one, nor stars on the board. I suppose that they were painted later, because such a board without victory stars makes no sense.
Regards
Massimo

looking at the sun  angle, above and behind, I think the victory  stars have gone from the glare of the surrounding white, the lower part of the  star I mentioned is in relative shadow due to curvature of the fuselage.

The tail band looks just white.
Are there any other photos of planes from this unit, with a red/white tail stripe though? 

Or is there another photo from  the Victory day parade showing these details?

cheers
T

66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 01:32:58 PM »

Hi,
I posted questions also at Russian war-historical forum http://vif2ne.ru/nvi/forum/0/0.htm and got some replies:

Photo of "undecorated" plane in better quality than already posted here:

It looks like the fuselage star is not "Kremlin type" but standard one and irregularities of color (horizontal stripes) are caused by scanner.

Qwl99's (from http://vif2ne.ru/nvi/forum/0/0.htm) reply:
"Photo is uneven, the tail is lighter and more contrast. Stars on the panel are not visible, because they are very small. Red star on the fuselage is also hard to see. Unfortunately, (I had) only a paper print/copy that I return back to Juri Rybin."

Anyhow, I played with brightness and contrast to get:

It looks like white outline of the black cat is a bit brighter than "white" stripe on the tail - see back (and legs) of the cat marked by red arraow. That stripe was painted (several months?) latter after the cat, so I would assume that dirty white would be on cat outline, not on  the stripe.
I wonder that photo is able to show difference between two whites, but it is not able to show difference between white and red. Huh
Regards,
     66misos
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 01:58:38 PM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 04:12:59 PM »

Hi Misos,
the lighter contour around the cat could be an artifact due to the .jpg compression of the image. This compression method is good where color changes in soft way, but can give alterations where it changes sharply.
In facts you cal see lighter lines also around the borders of the white band.
It would be good to find a better scan, made with 600 dpi resolution in color, them blurried and reduced as resolution, and saved as .jpg of at least level 10. That is, to find the magazine an scan it with this criteria.

Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 04:37:52 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
AC26

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 09:33:55 PM »

great photo. But I dont see a red/white tail stripe, just white. I also don't see any stars in the panel beneath the cockpit.  Maybe just poor photo reproduction.  But even soo I see sign of another tail band colour.

I just checked this from the original book "Hylkyretki? Pohjolaan" ("Wrecktrips to the North", 2009). Original looks really be a poor copy. Not a hint of victory markings in the printed picture and tail band is certainly single colour.

Cheers,

AaCee
Walker

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 05:02:04 PM »

lighter outline likely result of retouching...
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: