Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Eduard vs Hobby Boss 1/72 IL-2 accuracy
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 04:31:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eduard vs Hobby Boss 1/72 IL-2 accuracy  (Read 5396 times)
warhawk

« on: June 26, 2013, 02:09:53 PM »

I am in a dilemma whether to buy Eduard or Hobby Boss 1/72 IL-2.
Which one of these is more accurate in shape and dimensions?

Level of detail or ease of build are NOT IMPORTANT to me.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 04:33:45 PM »

Hi,
I've the kit of Eduard, I never made a deep analysis but I have a good impression of it. Perhaps the division line between fin and rudder is wrongly placed.
The Hobby Boss has a bad error on its armament: it has only underwing gunpods that were never (or nearly never) utilized on arrow wing Il-2, only on straight-wing ones, so it's without the 23 mm guns and their fairings. Nothing impossible to rebuilt, but for a quick to build model this defect is bad.
I don't know if the Hobby Boss has rockets and rails, I suppose no.
The spinner of Eduard is good (strangely, 2 identical spinners are included in the kit) while I suppose that the Hobby Boss one is too rounded (at least, if it resembles their 1/32 kit).
I suppose that the Eduard kit is by far the winner, among them.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 09:33:45 PM »

I agree with Massimo; the Eduard kit is better.  Both have the inaccurate, for GPW arrows, metal rear fuselages so no advantage either way there.  The big advantage for the Eduard kit is the armament.  Massimo is correct about the armament for the Hobby Boss kit - it shouldn't be the 37mm cannons, but the 23mm cannons.  The Eduard kit is also much better in terms of the interior; for example the Hobby Boss kit does not have the port console for the pilot, nor does it have the fuel tank behind the pilot.  I have enough spare parts to redo the Hobby Boss kit, but the Eduard kit is definitely more accurate out of the box.

I just saw where you ask about the shapes and dimensions.  Actually, they're both good in that department.  The Hobby Boss kit may have its problems, but dimensionally and shape wise it appears to be accurate.  Same with the Eduard kit.  I'd still go with the Eduard kit.

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:36:54 PM by learstang » Logged

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
warhawk

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:55:18 PM »

Both have the inaccurate, for GPW arrows, metal rear fuselages so no advantage either way there.

Actually that is exactly THE reason why I'm in a dilemma between these particular two.
I am buying a kit for my brother, who is doing a post-war Yugoslav machine, as displayed in Belgrade Museum of Aviation (metal winged and metal fuselage arrow).
This is probably the only Shturmovik which can be made out of the box from these  Wink

I guess it's basically a draw. Thank you for your opinions.
Aleksandar
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »

Hi,
check the tail fillets, postwar metal fuselage planes  had sharper fillets than those utilized on wooden version. I don't remember how they are on the kit.
Check the shape of the gun fairings too, there were two versions; the flushed one is characteristic of arrow planes made in z.18, other planes had a 'flat' front.
Check the tail wheel fairing too, there were two variants of it, I don't remember which one is included in the kit.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 06:09:44 PM »

Aleksandar, I'm making that very aeroplane now from the Eduard kit, the one in the museum in Belgrade.  Lift Here! used to make decals for it, but I very recently asked if they still had them, and they don't, unfortunately.  Massimo's correct about the tail; the streamlined fairing that surrounded the tail root and blended it into the wooden fuselage is gone from this metal-fuselaged version.  The Eduard kit has the streamlined fairing so it will have to be sanded back a bit to look more like the actual aeroplane.  The museum example also has the streamlined fairings for the 23mm cannons and the rocket rails are of the streamlined type.  The tail wheel fairing is the small type associated with Zavod 18.  The Eduard kit has the small tail wheel fairing, but unfortunately it does not have the streamlined fairings for the cannons nor the rocket rails.  I have some nice photographs of the museum aeroplane if you need any.  I wish your brother good luck with his model and maybe he'll allow you to post some pictures!

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:20:37 PM by learstang » Logged

- Warren William Zevon
warhawk

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 10:05:21 AM »

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the offer for the photos, but I have already done a full walkaround of that machine, So no more photos are needed.

A word of caution:

That machine was repainted with closest colors available at the time of restoration, not the colors actually present when it was in postwar service.
In fact, most prop aircraft on the exhibition were restored "pretty close" at best.
The LH set provides color instructions for the museum machine at its current state.  
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:10:23 AM by warhawk » Logged
learstang

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 05:48:54 PM »

Thank you for the warning, Aleksandar, but I might do it just as it appears now, down to the mismatched rockets and the shortened antenna mast (I think I'll leave the bat droppings off, though!).  If I wanted to paint it as it would have appeared in service, do you know what colours/paints I should use?

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
warhawk

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 11:57:02 AM »

No Idea really. My interest in these machines ends in May 1945 (and I will probbably do a soviet 3-tone one)...
Bro will also do this one as it is now...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: