Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Hasegawa 1/48 Spitfire Mk. Vb- COMPLETED
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 01:44:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Hasegawa 1/48 Spitfire Mk. Vb- COMPLETED  (Read 13343 times)
jonbius

« on: July 07, 2013, 04:00:10 PM »

This kit started life as Hasegawa's Seafire Mk. Ib, which is their Spitfire Vb kit with some resin bits for a Seafire conversion. I decided instead to build it as a Spitfire Mk. Vb in Soviet markings. It's not a bad kit, though I like the Tamiya kit better. Markings are from AML's set "Lend Lease Spitfires".

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 04:29:18 PM »

Hi Jon,
really nice model. I like how it is built and painted.
I hope that the yellow bands didn't cause episodes of friendly fire. I read that Spitfires were sometimes mismatched for enemy planes.
Regards
Massimo
sims

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 11:40:53 PM »

hi Jon

beautiful spitfire

@mic

sims
learstang

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 01:08:56 AM »

Very nice, Jon!  A Spitfire Mk.VB is on my to-do list (although in 1/72nd scale, of course).

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Pascal

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 09:36:17 AM »

Hi Jon,

I like your Spitfire!

Regards,

Pascal

jonbius

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 03:38:23 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

I hope that the yellow bands didn't cause episodes of friendly fire. I read that Spitfires were sometimes mismatched for enemy planes.

Interesting... hadn't thought about that regarding the yellow bands.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Troy Smith

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 03:57:23 PM »

Very neat build Jon

but I'd like to point out that you have fallen into the assumption that the planes were delivered in RAF markings, and remarked by the VVS.

They weren't.

There are a series of pics in Red Star 4, showing a Spitfire in Iran being resprayed, RAF over painted, red stars applied , by the British.
This pic is from the series, note you can see the fresh British paint covering the roundels.
The VVS rarely added stars to the upperwings as well.

Sorry to tell you this when it's finished but thought worth mentioning for others and future reference.

T

jonbius

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 05:02:29 PM »

Interesting! Thanks.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
JP
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 05:33:08 PM »

You wouldn't be the first to fall into the trap, and you won't be the last.  Still, a very nice build. 
4bogreen

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 09:37:05 PM »

Cool subject Jon   Cool

I like foreign aircraft in soviet service. Its fun to read how they experienced these aircraft. The "allies" disliked the P-39 and the soviets liked it very much  Cheesy
I would like to make a P-40 with a klimov engine. The only downsight is that if i want to do it right, its expensive to make  Shocked

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
learstang

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 10:23:19 PM »

On the other hand, the Soviets didn't like the B-26 Marauder and rejected it for service (perhaps because of its high landing speed), and only accepted around 200 P-47's because the Soviets found it was too unmanoeuvrable at low altitudes.  Even the Spitfire they found unsuitable for frontal use, because its landing gear was a bit too fragile for the rough "airfields" the VVS often flew from.  However, it did find useful service with the PVO (area defence/anti-aircraft units), which operated from paved airstrips, and where the Spitfire's high rate of climb and good high altitude performance made it a good interceptor of high-flying German bombers and reconnaissance aircraft.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
jonbius

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 10:55:30 PM »

I'm building another LL fighter now, a P-40B. I have plans to do a Hurricane also before too long. And I have an A-20 in the stash that might look good in VVS markings, too.

Is there a conversion set for the Klimov?

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
learstang

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 12:26:17 AM »

I believe there used to be, Jon.  I'll see if I can't track it down; it may still be around.  Now if you ever wanted to do one in 1/72nd scale, there's a whole model made by LF Models with the Klimov.  I have one - nice kit, and yet another one I need to finish!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 07:23:29 AM »

Hi,
LaGG-3 of ICM can be bought for cheap and is full of alternative pieces. I suppose it is cheper to start from this.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 08:37:34 AM »

Griffon made a Klimov conversion set for the Hasegawa P-40 in 1:48. The set is now taken over by Brengun models. A lot of Griffon sets are now Brengun models. It's sold about 15 euro's now...

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: