Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Black 12 question
Sovietwarplanes
April 20, 2024, 03:01:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Black 12 question  (Read 6086 times)
Jet

« on: February 04, 2007, 02:13:40 PM »

I'm currently working on Trumpeter's 1/32 MiG-3. I've settled on the plane behind "Red-2" in the famous photo as it allows the retention of slats and radio with no length problem in the nose.
Further I was inspired by Michael Neradkov's use of foil in his ICM 1/48 build, and having done some gold and silver leaf in my job, think it will not be a problem to do with aluminum on the model.

My question is:
Am I interpreting the photo correctly with regard to the location of the demarcation line between the bare aluminum and the white paint? (as illustrated in this image)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 02:15:25 PM by Jet » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 08:07:07 PM »

Hi Jet, Smiley
this interpretation of Black 12 is possible, although slightly different from the one given in my profile. Its paint has something different from all other white MiG-3s in the same photo.
Red 02 shouldn't have aluminium paint on it.
Massimo
Jet

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 02:49:03 AM »

Looking at the Black 12 profile page: http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/black12.html
I see you have shown the bare metal stopping at the aft end of the sliding part of the canopy.
However, in the photo on that page, I am either seeing, or imagining, a metallic light refraction that goes all the way to the top of the back glass (over the radio shelf) where it meets the top of the fuselage.
That was really my question: What is everyone's opinion, does it follow the red line in my posted picture or stop short like the profile drawing on your Black12 page?

That refraction isn't present on Red 02. I understand that this plane in the foreground is entirely white from the nose back. I guess my blue arrows for clarity of the area in question, did more to confuse things - sorry, I should have left them out.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 09:23:31 AM »

Hi Jet, Smiley
I see what you mean. I had a look to other versions of the photo too. It's possible that the strut was lighter or brighter that the rear fuselage, but not sure. Besides, JPG compression enhances the outline of the darker glass shade with a light line.
Massimo
Jet

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 11:11:40 PM »

Well, it's been quite some time since I posted the original question, and I thought I'd offer some progress shots as I've recently had some time to open the box back up and get some work done on it. It still needs a number of items  and there are some small corrections I noticed also, but it's getting there!

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 12:11:53 PM »

Hi,
beautiful model! I'm very happy to see it. Eventually, could I add these photos to the MiG-3 gallery, when I'll update that page?
Massimo
Jet

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 11:29:45 PM »

Wow! Thanks Massimo.
If you can give me a week or so, I'll get it finished up and take a few photos with a more suitable background than the trunk of my wife's car  Grin
The foil at the canopy needs a little attention, the "12" needs to be added to the tail, wires for the rockets, and some other small things (Like adding a dab of glue to keep the ailerons from dropping down like flaps!)
Renato71

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 08:44:03 PM »

Man, this is so beautifull! Just looking at this pics made me go "Aaaaaa..." Realy nice and neat, I trully congratulate you on your work!

I would suggest just a bit more highlightning for lines of metal panels, just to make them stand out a bit more. This way all of your effort is kinda unvisible, sort of a lost in comparision to the white painted surfaces. Maybe it looks better in real life, but on two pics it looks almost like die-cast.

Realy, realy, realy nice? Smiley

Renato
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: