Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Special Hobby 1/48 B-33- COMPLETED
Sovietwarplanes
April 27, 2024, 07:35:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Special Hobby 1/48 B-33- COMPLETED  (Read 13375 times)
jonbius

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 01:56:29 PM »

Wow, this is up there with my attempts to beat that AMT P-40 into shape.  Only this seems worse.  As you may have noticed, that kit (and some life events) defeated me and I haven't touched an aircraft since.  If I had this kit in the stash, I'd be logging into eBay about now.   Wink  Matter of fact, I may just unload all my kits from Special Hobby since I think I've reached the point in life where I'd rather not have to go through that kind of pain. 

I'm actually building an AMT P-40E right now also, and it is a breeze compared with this one. I've built several of the AMT P-40 kits, and have several more in the stash. They're certainly not perfect, but when compared with this Il-10, they might as well be Tamiya! Cheesy

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
JP
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 08:56:44 PM »

I think the one I started was "special".   Undecided  It had problems that didn't exist in the other AMT kits I used to have.  It's been thrown away and then pulled back out of the trash three different times.  Smiley 

But back on topic, yes, I think your current torture is worse.  At least the AMT plastic is thin and soft, so that most of the correcting, while extensive, was not overly hard to pull off.  That plastic, if it's like my other SH kits, looks thick and hard.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 10:54:06 AM »

Hi Jon,
any progress with your troublesome Il-10? I'm very interested to the photos of the building.
Regards
Massimo
jonbius

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 12:18:10 PM »

Hi Jon,
any progress with your troublesome Il-10? I'm very interested to the photos of the building.
Regards
Massimo

None right now. I put it aside for a few days to finish another commission build, a P-47. I'll be picking back up with the Il-10 this week and will post pictures of the continuing struggle build.  Grin

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
jonbius

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 04:23:41 PM »

I gave up trying to document this build. I was so frustrated with it, I almost sent it back to the customer partially built, with a new kit to replace it, and a full refund. The only reason I didn't was I didn't have enough money to do so. Suffice to say, you have to plan 4 steps ahead, and even then you'll have to figure out how to fix problems.

The paints are WRONG. I used Akan for the brown, but after I ran out of the other Akan colors, I decided I wasn't going to waste good money, time and paint on this piece of junk. So I used Tamiya stuff out of the bottle that was close enough.

This kit takes the crown of "Worst Kit I've Ever Built", which had previously been sitting firmly on the Classic Airframes CAC-13 Boomerang. (No coincidence both kits come out of the same shop.) I question if anyone at Special Hobby has ever built this kit. If they have, they should be ashamed to release such junk.

Basically, everything needs sanding, shimming, filling, scraping, filing and scribing. One fuselage half is longer than the other. The instructions are vague. Some of the cockpit components simply won't fit because there isn't enough space to get them all in. I'm actually shipping it out whether the guy pays my final invoice or not just because I don't want to look at it another day. (Though he is a repeat customer, so I'm not worried about it.)

Yes, it's buildable. It's just not worth building, in my opinion.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
learstang

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 05:39:22 PM »

Whatever your troubles with it, it looks very nice, Jon!  It looks good in the GPW scheme (instead of the green overall topsides scheme you always see it in).

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 05:52:45 PM »

Hi jonbius,

it looks pretty well. I surely would not be disappointed if I have it on my shelf ;-)

66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 07:45:55 PM »

Hi Jon, you've made it, and looks nice too.
Thank you for having kept us so well informed on the difficulties of this kit.
It's clear that all kits of this type are unsatisfactory, I hope that Chinese will build  both a kit in 1/48 and 1/72 some day. Maybe someone could suggest it to Xuntong Models, they should have ended to issue their Il-4 family now.
Regards
Massimo
Troy Smith

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 09:16:44 PM »

Jon

that looks great.  I don't think anyone could complain about it, especially if they read your thread.

Special Hobby kits it , are well, 'special'.   I have a few stashed, and build threads like yours mean i know to test fit 3 times.

I have to admit to a certain masochistic streak when i read a kit is 'hard work' to try it even more!
cheers
Troy
Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2013, 05:18:19 PM »

Jon,
Nice job. I really like the weathering.
Apex1701

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2013, 05:46:07 PM »

Nice job Jon.

I have the same kit in my stack...
Gulp!!!

Jean