Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
UM Yak-1B in 1/48?
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 01:06:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UM Yak-1B in 1/48?  (Read 5920 times)
TISO

« on: August 05, 2013, 08:00:25 PM »

Just wandering if anyone knows which Yak-1B is in UM boxing with their AS-1 starter:
http://hobbyterra.com/product/airfield-starter-as-1-with-soviet-fighter-yak-1b-unimodels-505.html

Disciple of Error
Troy Smith

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 12:27:54 AM »

From the sprue shots lokks like the Modelsvit kit
see http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/ms/kit_ms_4801.shtml

UM do a starter truck separately as well, along with some other 1/48 airfield vehicles.

HTH
T
jonbius

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 03:06:56 AM »

I agree. I'm building the Modelsvit kit... well, was is the right word. After I got the wings on, tailplanes on, etc, I realized there was a wicked warp and twist on the fuselage. So it's on the shelf of shame now.

I was not impressed with the fit of the Modelsvit kit.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:50:30 AM »

Hi Jon,
a warp on the fuselage? Very bad thing... is this correctable in any way?
Have any other modellers found this problem?
Regards
Massimo
jonbius

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 11:49:37 AM »

Hey Massimo,

It was probably correctable before I glued it all together, but as I failed to notice it, the only way I've figured it could be fixed now would be to saw the tail off, with a perfectly perpendicular cut, glued it on straight, and then add lots of putty, and sand down.

As you can see in this photo, from an angle, it doesn't look too bad:

But viewed from head on, the problem is obvious:

And viewed from the rear:

There is a bit of a warp and a twist going on there. Prior to assembling, it was probably correctable. But I somehow didn't notice it, as both fuselage halves were twisted and warped. Oddly, the fit was perfect...  Huh

I've put it aside for now. As I build to help raise money for some family medical costs, I can't take the time to correct it... I just move on to the next build!

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 02:30:23 PM »

Hi Jon,
I see. Maybe it could be utilized for a diorama with a crash landed plane, but it's difficult... they are tubes covered with fabric, so if it is deformed by a damage one should see  something on the skinning.
Regards
Massimo
B_Realistic

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 09:27:59 AM »

I hope that my Yak-1b fits better. Shocked
Otherwise we all have to build it as a crashed model.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: