Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
LaGG-3 instrument panel in a flight sim
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 12:55:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LaGG-3 instrument panel in a flight sim  (Read 7374 times)
CJBaker

« on: February 10, 2007, 07:06:15 AM »

Hello!

I posted here once about a year ago, and several of you were quite helpful to me. I am building instrument panels for the flight sim European Air War. Yes, I know it is quite an old sim, but we have fun tinkering with it and have made quite a few advances in the graphics for it. When I originally posted on this forum I was looking for information on the I-153 and the Yak-1. Well, one thing led to another and I found myself completing the LaGG-3 first. I thought perhaps some of you might enjoy seeing the finished product:

Keep in mind that this was done using graphics available in 1998! The image files were limited to two 256x256 pixel images. All in all, I was quite happy with the result.

I do have one question for all of you, though. I am still woking on the I-153 panel and I am a bit stumped as to how the undercarriage indicator works. Here is a photo of the gauge in question:

I can't quite make out the indicators within the green field. The text above it is no problem. Also, if anyone knows how this gauge operates, I would be most appreciative!!!

Cheers!

CJBaker
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 09:36:37 AM »

Nice work! Smiley
I was wondering if such color drawings, scaled and inserted into a file and printed as color photos, could give an help in quick detailing of a model.
Could we see more about your LaGG and I-153, please?
CJBaker

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 12:49:02 AM »

Thanks for the compliment, Massimo.

There would be a slight problem with using the image as I posted for a quick detailing technique - the image is viewed at a bit of a downward angle, rather than looking straight on. However, if one were to use the editor we use for modding, you COULD look straight at the image, do a screenshot, paste into an image and have at it. That would allow you to print out the dial faces, for instance.?

If anyone wants these images, I would be more than happy to post them for anyone to freely use. I have gone to great lengths to make the dial faces as accurate as possible. If you want them in a zip file, they are already available here:

http://www.sandbaggereaw.com/crashinjackadd.html

There is a set of Russian gauges, a set of British gauges, some generic swithces an such, and an image of the RSI-4 radio pictured in the cockpit above. If anyone finds these useful, you are free to use any of them. They are all created from scratch, with the exception of the Oil Temp/Oil Pressure/Fuel Pressure gauge in the image above, which was taken from a pilot's handbook for the IL-2.

And just for fun, and because I'm very proud of my effort, here is the RSI-4 radio:

I don't have much more than the main panel done so far on the I-153, but here is where I am at:

Now to continue doing the I-153, I am wondering about the landing gear gauge from the image above. I want to make it functioning in the game, but I can't make out the markings on the face and thus how it operates. Any help on that would be appreciated!!

Cheers to all.

CJ
Jet

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 05:19:37 AM »

Wow! Thanks CJ! I know just what to do with these  Grin

Here's what I came up with for my current MiG-3 in Paint Shop Pro (Your's are even better):

From one modder to another I'd like to congratulate you on your work so far. I did the 3-d models and artwork for the F-14d and A-10 in F/A-18 for TeamSuperhornet a few years back so I know what kinds of brick walls you run up against, and often reference images that are outstanding for the average enthusiast, and nearly useless for the type of work you're doing. Stick with it, you're doing great!
CJBaker

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 05:41:54 AM »

Thanks for the compliments, Jet!! It has been a long haul, as in this game nobody knew how to do any modding to the gauges at all. I started from scratch, with the help of a few people to bounce ideas off of, and now after about 16 months it's paying off. I'm glad to hear that these may be useful in modeling as well. I hadn't even thought of that, LOL! I have quite a collection of 1/48 and 1/32 kits - my parents owned a hobby and craft store, and I managed the hobby department for quite a few years. Haven't done much over the last couple of years as I have a 3 year old.

Hmmm....where's my decal film...

I would appreciate seeing any projects my images might help in, that would be a kick!

Cheers!
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 08:31:02 AM »

Truly nice work, CJ! Smiley
The fact that it's drawn from above is not a defect for my use: when one looks into the cockpit of a model, it gives an idea of perspective.
My idea was to develop a set for quick detailing (with closed canopy) the MiG-3 of HobbyBoss; so I can quickly build some of them for a thematic collection. Only a project, till now...
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 01:38:57 PM »

Amazing work, especially to me, since I have no clue about how it's done! Massimo, maybe these kinds of images could be placed in a seperate page in your reference section with instructions on how to print them for use in modelbuilding? Your idea of using the MiG-3 instrument panel for the Hobby Boss kit sounds good. And I could use CJ's LaGG-3 panel for the 1/72 series 11 that I'm currently working on! Nice work, CJ!

John Thompson
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 09:28:40 PM »

Hi John, Smiley
I've done such a work for the instrument panel of I-153. I've scanned the panel of the kit just to have the shape, then I copied parts of the panel from different photographs of the plane il Bourget, I adapted the fragments by Photoshop, then I redrew the parts hidden by the stick. Then the image can be printed by a printer or a photographic shop (in this case one has to insert his image into a much wider white file to match the dimensions of a print, 10x15 cm for example).
I was thinking to do such a work by using screenshots of the cockpit of a MiG-3, probably adapted from Il-2.
It should include instrument panel, sides with false perspective, floor, seat armoured plate, belts , inside cooler, cooler grid (4 rectangles to cut and glue), wheel hubs and some other detail. I don't know when and if I really will do this, but the idea looks promising for a quick and cheap detailing without too much ambitions.
Massimo
CJBaker

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 10:10:50 PM »

Massimo, my next project will be a MiG-3. An associate of mine is working on two scenarios to cover the Russian-Finnish wars around WWII, and it will be needed for that.

I've tried using some of the panels from IL-2 for reference, but to be honest, it generally conflicts with the photos and data I have. It's a shame, because structurally they are very good. For some reason they take shortcuts with the gauges though -- perhaps to make it easier for transitioning from one aircraft to another?

I've been reading your MiG-3 pages with great interest. I know different factories used different cionfigurations for the panels. For example, the black panels seem to all be recessed instruments whereas the light color panels use instruments bolted on from the front. Do you find this to be generally true?
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 07:23:30 AM »

Hi CJ, Smiley
your help on this project will be appreciated.
From my only experience in printing 1/72 instrument panel from photo, most small details result lost or unvisible in the process; to obtain a somewhat rich result, small details as numbers, screws etc have to be somewhat exaggerated, not in right scale. This is different from what one can see in photos, and requires some adaptation.
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: