Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Rogovoy's Yak-3 White 15
Sovietwarplanes
April 19, 2024, 09:31:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rogovoy's Yak-3 White 15  (Read 9033 times)
Seawinder

« on: August 10, 2013, 11:57:08 PM »

I'm wondering about the proper color for the tail stripe(s). Decals in the Zvezda kit, as well as aftermarket sheets from Begemot and Authentic Decals, all show two thin white stripes. The Eduard decals, as well as a number of online profiles, show a single yellow stripe. I'm guessing that current research points to the two white stripes, but is there any documentation available? I've been unable to find any photograph(s) of the plane. Does anyone have one, or can you steer me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Pip
Troy Smith

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 07:42:41 PM »

HI Pip

right now I don't hvae time to search up the Zvezda artwork, but if there is a photo, it's likely to be here

http://airfield.narod.ru/yak/yak-3/yak-3_color.html

there are several pages of profiles, but look for ones that say 'фото' underneath, as that's photo in Cyrillic, it's been quite a treat looking through these!

HTH
T
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:16:49 PM »

Hi Pip and Troy,
there are three photos of the plane just on the linked page, but none shows the tail. I've not found photos of planes with the same band on the tail of the same unit here, but I suppose they exist somewhere.
Regards
Massimo
Seawinder

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 06:53:25 AM »

HI Pip

right now I don't hvae time to search up the Zvezda artwork, but if there is a photo, it's likely to be here

http://airfield.narod.ru/yak/yak-3/yak-3_color.html

there are several pages of profiles, but look for ones that say 'фото' underneath, as that's photo in Cyrillic, it's been quite a treat looking through these!

HTH
T

Great link, thanks, Troy. The profile there of White 15 muddies the water even further, however, since it shows a single, wider white stripe, which makes three possibilities. Hmm.
Troy Smith

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 06:18:46 PM »

HI Pip

glad it was there, i didn't notice it, but was in a bit of a fluster and rush!

I was totally awe struck when I realised about the fotos...and we all know now to trust a profile without a foto Wink  [did allow me to check some aftermarket decal sheets ]

one thing I did note,

photo - note the light coloured ring at the base of the spinner

Pip, you might want to PM KL, as he seems to know this kind of info, or look for more pic of 64 Gv.IAP planes.

cheers
T
Seawinder

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »

Hi Troy.
Yes, I did notice the light colored (almost certainly unpainted metal) spinner backplate. It's a good idea to contact KL, thanks.
Pip
KL

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 08:22:20 PM »

64th giap's identification were two white lines like here:

IMHO, Rogovoi's Yak-3 had red stars outlined in silver , same as Musee de l'Air Yak-3.

Saratov factory applied fuselage numbers were white and positioned between fuselage stars and tailfin.  In regiments planes were usually renumbered, (again, same as Musee de l'Air Yak-3).  Yak-3 on the first photo was clearly renumbered.

HTH,
KL
Troy Smith

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 09:08:15 PM »

64th giap's identification were two white lines like here:

Hi Konstantin

your ears must have been burning!  Thanks for posting, fascinating as always.

I note that the Yak above also has the light coloured rear spinner.  Is this unique to this GvIAP, or did they just come unfinished from  the factory? 

cheers
T
Seawinder

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 09:15:34 PM »

Thanks so much for nailing that down, Konstantin. I think I may well build that plane now that there's less uncertainty. I managed to acquire two copies of the kit, so the options are doubled!

Pip
KL

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 12:08:02 AM »

I note that the Yak above also has the light coloured rear spinner.  Is this unique to this GvIAP, or did they just come unfinished from  the factory? 

I don't know... may indicate that the spinner was repainted? If so spinner would indicate a squadron:
red
blue
yellow

I commented another 64th giap Yak-3 was recently at http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1548.0

This Yak was flown by GSS Denchik - Denchik was a squadron commander, and his Yak seems to have had red spinner

HTH,
KL

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 08:08:13 AM »

White 1 seems to have a silver outline of the red star on the fuselage, as white 15.

Just compare the uniformity of the 1 to the variation of darkness of the star outline aside it.
It's difficult to say about the star on the tail because it lies on a flat surface and reflects the sky, I suppose it was as the one on the fuselage.

The stripes on the tail could be silver too. Their darkening in the lower part looks much more similar to the outline of the star than to the 1.
By the way, looks that photo n.103 was manipulated by adding a false prop blade. Both lower ones should be overposed in the side view.
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:55:20 AM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: