Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
R-5 of Parcmodels
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 04:19:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: R-5 of Parcmodels  (Read 11607 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: August 12, 2013, 02:41:04 PM »

Hi,
I've written a small preview of the R-5 of the Rumanian firm PARC at http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/r-5/parc/PARC-R-5.htm, that I've bought for cheap.

It is a rather poor kit, comparable to the releases of Frog of the '70s. It would require some scratchbuilding or some aftermarket set to be turned into a decent replica.
Does anyone know if there is any reasonable alternative to this kit (apart for waiting and hoping)?
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 06:56:21 PM »

I have this kit under another boxing.  It may be an old Soviet kit (pre-1991).  Mine is in Russian.  I don't know of any other R-5 kits.  I suppose with a bit of work one could make a reasonable model with this kit, especially as it seems to be the only one available of the R-5 in 1/72nd scale.  Just another important Soviet aeroplane we don't have a modern kit for in 1/72nd scale (like the Yak-1B, the I-153, and the Il-4).

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:21:18 PM »

Hi Jason,
I think to have a vacuform of MPM somewhere in my attic. I don't like vacuforms, but a comparison could be interesting.
If I remember well, there is a short run R-Z of some Czech firm too on the market. Have you this kit?
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:03:52 PM »

Yes; Azur did a kit of the R-Zet.  It was supposed to not be entirely accurate (something about the lower wings, perhaps?), but it looks like a nice kit to me.  I wonder what would be involved in "backdating" it to an R-5?

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Walker

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 08:48:01 AM »

This is an old set released in the 90's of last century, the Russian company APEX.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 08:57:59 AM »

Hi,
is there any deep review or article on the building of this kit on the web?
Regards
Massimo
TISO

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 01:59:32 PM »

This is an old set released in the 90's of last century, the Russian company APEX.
Yep. Mine was in greasy white plastic that didn't respond at all to normal plastic cement no matter what i did (well it did when massive amounts were applied) and had rather good rubdown (letraset type) decals. I bought this PARC reincarnation in normal plastic as well. From what i remember from previous build engine cowling needs to be reshaped/corrected.

BTW Massimo here are 2 more links for your site on R-5:
Modelist-Konstruktor 1986 No.7:
http://hobbyport.ru/avia/r_5.htm

Modelist-Konstruktor 1969 No.7:
http://hobbyport.ru/avia/r_5_6907.htm

And one for R-Z:
http://www.airwar.ru/enc/other1/rz.html
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:16:35 PM by TISO » Logged

Disciple of Error
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 06:47:28 PM »

Thank you Tiso. I'll add them to the page.
Have you still this built model? I would be interested to know more on it.
Another kit whose plastic doesn't respond to plastic glue was the old K1A1 tank of Trumpeter, I had to use cyanoacrilate for my one.
Regards
Massimo
TISO

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 10:32:04 PM »

Thank you Tiso. I'll add them to the page.
Have you still this built model? I would be interested to know more on it.
Another kit whose plastic doesn't respond to plastic glue was the old K1A1 tank of Trumpeter, I had to use cyanoacrilate for my one.
Regards
Massimo
I built it approx. 15 years ago. Most of what i remember was that i used a ton of putty on the nose (that one was a bitch since putty didn't adhere well and was flaking off) and that i simply glued streched sprue (using cyanocrilate) into grooves representing ribs. I have since gave it away.
I was thinking of using MPM R-Z (which is lying in my stash) as a master for making a resin nose.

Disciple of Error
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 08:08:18 AM »

I think to have a MPM vacuform somewhere in my attic, unbuilt of course, Perhaps it's better on some respects. 
I wonder why a so important and beautiful plane is so neglected by kit producers.
Regards
Massimo
JWM

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 06:36:05 PM »

Hi,
R-5 and R-5 family is a very pleasent subject for modelling though no good model so far. Now AMG - a new company from Ukraine - is announcing that they preparing R-5 in 1/72, 1/48 and in 1/144. What can be seen about in in Internet looks really impressive.
A year ago I did three - Parc R5 converted to limousne, R5 of MPM in colours from Poland invasion in 1939 and R-Z by Special Hobby reshaped to Maslov drawings (with small corrections due to pjotos!) in Spanish Republican livery. The thread about the build was presented on Britmodeller forum
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235016763-a-triple-polikarpov-r-project/

And here are some shots of scratch converted Parc R-5
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4442/36626720456_d5d3785122_b.jpg

The best was MPM vacu, but it required also some corrections. I am still not sure if I was right to shorter a bit her fron of fuselage...
The corrections were rather massive in all three cases, anyway
Regards
Jerzy-Wojtek
JWM

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 07:00:17 PM »

P.S. to above
Studying photos and painting schemes of R-5 family I have found a mistake in below profile from M.Maslov book:

In fact the photo (I have in book but I have no rights to publish it) shows that it is R-Z converted to limo, not R-5! Anybody who has this book can check it.
Regards
J-W
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 09:51:55 PM »

Hi.
I remember to have seen some image of this when Tapani worked on profiles of R-5 family, but he neved drew a profile. I don't remember why, if the photos were unexhaustive or what else, but it is a nice plane, and being based on an R-z it is even more particular.
Regards
Massimo
JWM

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 06:16:54 PM »

I have looked again at this photo and I started to have doubts.... Roll Eyes
Cheers
J-W
learstang

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 06:57:12 AM »

Nice collection of Natashas, J-W!

Regards,

Jason