Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
AKAN AMT-7 Blue
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 10:38:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: AKAN AMT-7 Blue  (Read 12891 times)
learstang

« on: August 29, 2013, 05:55:29 PM »

Well I finally bought me some AKAN acrylic lacquers (from Linden Hill) and used the AMT-7 Blue on a Shturmovik I'm finishing (Dakoplast/Eastern Express single-seater).  Hmmmm, is all I can say.  Very dark, too dark.  It looks more like PRU Blue to me than any Light Blue or Sky Blue I'd expect to see on a GPW VVS aeroplane.  In the pictures below I compare it with an Il-2 (Toko arrow) I've done in Testors Model Master Russian Topside Blue.  It may be that the AKAN colour is closer to the original, but I'm going to stick with the MM paint.  I know I could lighten up the AKAN paint with white, but I don't like mixing colours.  I like using paints straight from the bottle.  It takes me long enough as it is to finish my models without having to worry about mixing custom colours each time I paint one.  As it is now, I intend on overpainting the AKAN colour with the MM paint.  Any comments (about the colours, not the mediocrity of the builds)?

Regards,

Jason

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:57:19 PM by learstang » Logged

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 07:22:23 PM »

Hi Jason,
you could add white, or light blue, directly in the bottle of the AKAN blue.
I like acrylics because they are easy to blend directly in the can, Humbrol don't allow to do this well so the mix can change its shade according on how long it is mixed.
If you have to repaint the undersurfaces, it could be better to file the outer flaps rear edge, it looks to have a strange ondulation.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 07:41:17 PM »

I noticed that about the flap.  I'll sand it down before I repaint.  I suspect it happened because of using too much glue on the trailing edges of the wing.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »

Hi Jason,
here is AKAN Acrylics AMT-7 Blue test paint (on Avenger) during sunny summer day:

That AKAN paint is not so dark in comparison with blue sky.

66misos

Apex1701

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 04:33:19 PM »

Hi Learstang,

nice work on the Il-2.
As for Akan AMT-76 being too dark get a look at the Yak-3 underside form Mus?e de l'air in France.
http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1151.45
You'll see in Reply # 56 that for my eyes, the blue is quite dark, nearer the AKAN than MM paint.

All the best

Jean
learstang

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »

Hi Learstang,

nice work on the Il-2.
As for Akan AMT-76 being too dark get a look at the Yak-3 underside form Mus?e de l'air in France.
http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1151.45
You'll see in Reply # 56 that for my eyes, the blue is quite dark, nearer the AKAN than MM paint.

All the best

Jean

Jean, thank you!  I agree that the wing colour on the French Yak-3 is closer to the AKAN paint, but notice that the paint on the fuselage of the French Yak-3 is lighter than that on the wing.  It may be closer to the MM paint I'm using.  At any rate, I've already repainted my single-seater Il-2 in the MM paint.  Accurate or not, I like it a lot better with this paint.  I suppose sometimes it just comes down to what you like.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
learstang

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 06:11:50 PM »

66misos, I agree that against a sunlit sky, it doesn't look nearly as dark.  However, the colour still doesn't look "right" to me.  The AKAN AMT-7 may be accurate - I don't know, as the small sample of original AMT-7 I have is probably much faded.  However, it's not just the dark tone of the AKAN paint; it appears to have too much green to me.  Anyhow, as I explained to Jean, it's an academic point now as I've already repainted my single-seater Il-2 with the MM Russian Topside Blue.  Accurate or not, it just looks better to me.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 07:55:42 PM »

Hi Jason,
IMHO, A. Akanihin has a problem with quality control and consistency ...  Undecided

From photos you posted, MM Russian Topside Blue is still too light to represent AMT-7.

Fuselage and wings of Mus?e de l'air Yak-3 are the same colour. Posted photos are not perfect: fuselage was closer to flash and looks brighter than it is. Wings are obliquely lit, partially in shade so the photo is not very representative.  But you can get an idea - AMT-7 was quite intense blue.

On your photo, light blue on the left side would be appropriate for prewar AII Light Blue. Problem with AKAN AMT-7 chip that I have is small amount of gray.  Real AMT-7 was pure blue.

HTH,
KL
learstang

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »

Konstantin, the colour I'm using probably is too light, but it's the closest out-of-bottle match I've found in flat enamels, so far.  I realise that by just sticking with Testors Model Master flat enamels I'm limiting myself.  I suppose if I could overcome my distaste for acrylics or more exotic (non-U.S.) enamels I could find a better match.  By the way, the AKAN acrylic lacquer AMT-7 worked quite well with my airbrush (a Badger 150).  Not only did it spray well, with good coverage, and a short drying time, using just a bit of the AKAN thinner, but I was able to clean up the airbrush afterwards quite easily and then use my flat enamel without any problems.  Not like normal acrylics where I have to disassemble the entire airbrush after each use then soak it all in a special acrylic dried paint dissolver.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Seawinder

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 03:14:50 AM »

Hi Jason.
I posted a photo of the AKAN AMT-7 on one of my Yaks some months ago...

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1532.15

As I take another look at the completed model, I don't think it looks too dark. It's certainly darker than the Model Master Topside Blue, but I've come to the conclusion that that paint's even a bit too light for AII Blue, which I think is lighter than AMT-7. Perhaps it's a matter of what we become used to seeing. Anyway, I'm glad you (like I) found the acrylic lacquer nice to work with. I will say that it's a bit more fragile than any Model Master enamel, but certainly tougher than a lot of aqueous acrylics.

Cheers,
Pip
learstang

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 04:25:52 AM »

Pip, your AKAN AMT-7 looks to be lighter than mine.  Mine, although a lovely colour, was just too dark.  I agree that Testors Model Master Russian Topside Blue is probably too light for AMT-7, but until I can find something I think is better, it will have to do.  AKAN AMT-7 is just not the answer, not for me.  Again, I realise I can lighten it, but that goes against my no-mixing "philosophy".

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:55:01 PM by learstang » Logged

- Warren William Zevon
Seawinder

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 06:10:24 PM »

Hi Jason.
What you say about the difference between your batch and mine seems to fit in with Konstantin's remark about AKAN's quality control. It that's true, it's really too bad since there seem to be more and more modelers who are relying on the AKAN paints for accurate VVS colors. Of course, the only real way to compare your and my paints would be for us to get together in person sometime with our models!

Cheers.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 07:06:47 PM »

Or to take a photo of the painted model aside a known chip as a FS catalogue open on the page of FS-25190. You are relying too much on color photos and their accuracy  for this comparison.
Regards
Massimo
Seawinder

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 09:34:09 PM »

Or to take a photo of the painted model aside a known chip as a FS catalogue open on the page of FS-25190. You are relying too much on color photos and their accuracy  for this comparison.
Regards
Massimo

Yes, that's what I thought I was saying. Anyhow, your idea about the FS 25190 comparison is a good one, so here it is:

As you can see, my sample has a bit more green in it, bringing it actually closer to 25193, but it's no darker than 25190.

Cheers,
Pip
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 10:13:54 PM »

Clear image indeed.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: