Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/48 Tamiya Il-2M3 - Pavlov's "White 1"
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 05:38:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/48 Tamiya Il-2M3 - Pavlov's "White 1"  (Read 10895 times)
Brewer

« on: September 07, 2013, 01:27:22 PM »

Hey guys!

I'm new to the forum and what better way to introduce myself than with my latest completion?
I've been working on this one for the past few weeks and finished it up the other day. The Il-2 isn't my favorite plane as I've never really been a fan of Russian subjects, but this kit has changed my mind haha. It was a joy to build Tamiya's latest 1/48 engineering masterpiece, and the research that went into the build has inspired me to add several Russian fighters to my stash. Actually, next up on the bench is and Eduard La-7 with a Neomega cockpit and other goodies Smiley

Progress pics can be seen on my Facebook models page: Brewer Models
Say what you will about the accuracy of the VVS colors, this was a commission build and I used Tamiya acrylics per the customer's request.

Anyways, on to the pics!

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 03:22:24 PM »

Hi Brewer, really well made. You've an excellent technique.
How are seat belts made?
Regards
Massimo
Brewer

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 03:25:10 PM »

Thanks!

The seat is a resin piece from BarracudaCast with molded-on belts

learstang

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 05:50:33 PM »

Welcome to the Dark Side, Jason!  I'll repeat what I said on the Britmodeller site, beautiful model!

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S.  Once the Soviet bug has bitten you, it's hard to recover, but, hey, who wants to?

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Brewer

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 05:56:33 PM »

Yep, they're cool and different planes for sure!
I'm looking forward to the La-7 about to be on the bench, with Mig-3's, Yak-3's, LaGG-3's, etc to follow haha.
I generally rivet my models, though I skipped it on the Il-2 since I felt it had plenty of surface detail already, and all the wood on these planes makes my job easier Tongue

KL

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 08:35:03 PM »

Wellcome aboard Brewer!  Smiley

Nice model - and excellent photography!  Have you "photoshopped" images?

I like matte/flat look of your model, that is definitively authentic.  Contrast between camouflage colours is probably OK; Massimo may say more (maybe if he converts image to b/w)...

Most obvious mistake on your model is light blue cockpit.  It should be gray.

Say what you will about the accuracy of the VVS colors, this was a commission build and I used Tamiya acrylics per the customer's request.

Since you mentioned colours:
AMT-4 should look like green vegetation in summer; green and yellow only, no blue tinge and no gray.
AMT-12 is for shadows; it should be flat dark gray, almost black
AMT-1 is for earth or sand (not Sahara, more like preries dust if you are American or Canadian); it's yellow-ochre and gray, no red.
AMT-7 could be darker than yours and it should be pure blue, no gray, yellow or green

HTH,
KL  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 12:08:27 AM by KL » Logged
Brewer

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 08:38:30 PM »

Thanks for the input!

I did use this site and forum to research the VVS colors, but as I said in the comment you quoted it was painted in these colors at the customer's request.

JP
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 08:57:32 PM »

Dude....excellent build!

I'm afraid in order for this post to remain, you must explain in full your painting technique so we may copy it.   Grin
Brewer

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 09:02:57 PM »

Well there's not really much to explain!

The camo was sprayed freehand (no paper or blu tac masks), and the fading was done by just adding white and a lot of thinner to the base color and spraying random patchy faded spots. Dark spots are just where I didn't do any fading.

jonbius

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 03:08:30 PM »

Very, very nice work. I hope mine turns out half that nice.

Jon Bius
agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
xan

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 03:58:49 PM »

Well done!
good job, the weathering is fine...
Tamiya's model is impressive, the details in the wings are amazing and your paint shows all off them very well
congratulations

Xan

B_Realistic

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »

I like it. Cheesy
learstang

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 07:21:11 PM »

Jason, the one thing that's missing from this otherwise brilliant model are the aiming lines on the front cowling.  There should be three. For some reason, Tamiya provide these as decals but don't show them on their box art (interestingly, the 1/72nd scale kit's box art does show these lines).  Most or all arrows would have had these aiming lines.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Brewer

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 07:43:16 PM »

Hmmm in all the research that I did of period photos (and in Tamiya's decal placement guide), White 1 didn't appear to have the lines. I did see them on plenty of other Arrows including the other kit options, but not on Pavlov's bird. If I'm wrong, oh well. The client is happy Smiley

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 09:24:17 PM »

Hi,
I've collected here http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/il-2/il2-camo/pavlov/pavlov.html some photos of Pavlov's plane. Unfortunately, they are not decisive: I don't see those lines, but the quality of the images can't exclude them. 
Should anyone have better images of it, please let me know.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: