Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Eduard La-5FN
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 09:21:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Eduard La-5FN  (Read 13585 times)
Tyronesdaddy

« on: September 18, 2013, 04:54:15 PM »

On the Cybermodeler.com site their latest list of new and upcoming kits (  http://www.cybermodeler.com/special/2012_acft_manuf.shtml  ) they have a new La-5FN listed for release in November by Eduard.  Does anybody have any more info on this?  Is it a new mold or a rebox of the Zvezda kit?  I did not find anything on the Eduard site regarding it.
Troy Smith

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:17:42 PM »

Not heard anything about it, and if no major blurb on the Eduard site, I would guess it's a reboxed Zvezda kit with etch and new decals. 

be interesting to know more though.

T
Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 11:24:28 PM »

I would not mind a reboxed Zvezda kit with some nice new Cartograf decals.  The ones from Zvezda leave a lot to be desired.  I wonder if it's really a reboxing of the  Eduard 1/72 kit and mistakenly listed as 1/48 at Cybermodeler.
Apex1701

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 03:18:00 AM »

Indeed Eduard as announced an event with La-5fn and La-7 in the last august Info-Eduard.
Here's what wrote Vladimir Sulc in the editorial :

"For September, 2014, ?The Boys are Back will be followed up with another similar kit, tentatively
dubbed ?The First Ones Home?, dedicated to the Lavochkin La-5FN and La-7 and their
Czechoslovak pilots. The marking options will not be understandably as varied as in ?The Boys are
Back? due to the more limited action seen by our pilots on the Eastern Front, but the theme is as
enticing. It is expected that it will be as successful as the Spitfire themed item."

I was a bit surprised to see novembre 2013 on Cybermodeller.
Me think it will be a new model because of the La-7.
The Gavia one is showing it's age and new mold will be a must.
From La-5fn to La-7 differences are not that big.
We'll see.

Jean
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 08:04:41 AM »

Hi Jean, hi all

"For September, 2014, ?The Boys are Back will be followed up with another similar kit, tentatively
dubbed ?The First Ones Home?, dedicated to the Lavochkin La-5FN and La-7 and their
Czechoslovak pilots. The marking options will not be understandably as varied as in ?The Boys are
Back? due to the more limited action seen by our pilots on the Eastern Front, but the theme is as
enticing. It is expected that it will be as successful as the Spitfire themed item."

The editorial gives the idea of old molds revitalized with a new decals sheet, photoetch and perhaps masks.  A new mould is a great investment, and would be presented as a big news independantly from having been flown by Czech or Russian pilots.

From La-5fn to La-7 differences are not that big.
It would require new wings, new fuselage, new canopy... despite the resemblance, it would be a completely new mould to build. Of course I hope they will do this some day.

Regards
Massimo
Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 04:14:31 PM »

I asked Michale Benolkin at Cybermoder about it and was told that the 1xxxx stock number indicates a reboxing.
Troy Smith

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 08:19:39 PM »

A thought occured, i've not heard of Eduard reboxing Zvezda, but they have reboxed the Academy P-38, and Il-2 [originally by Accurate Minatures, but now by Academy] and Academy have the Hobby Craft moulds...and they did do an La-5FN /La-7 kit, though I think the one was basically a rebox of the other, not sure which was which.

So, hopefull a Zvezda kit, with some decent etch and high quality decals that would be good, if not stupidly expensive.

I'm sure we will find out soon!

cheers
T
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 09:23:05 PM »

Nominally, Hobbycraft made a La-7 and a La-5N. This least one was not a real La-5, but a La-7 with cooler and few other pieces changed. It's impossible that Eduard reboxes such a bad kit.
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:15:36 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 05:08:35 AM »

I would be very disappointed with Eduard if they reboxed the Academy/Hobbycraft La-5FN.  Their La-5/7 kits are absolute garbage. 
bbrought

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 10:01:49 AM »

The La-7 will almost certainly be the Gavia, which they have already issued as a rebox before:
http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/la7reviewbg_1.htm

Due to their recent reboxings of several Academy kits (P-38, F-15, Il-2), I wouldn't be surprised if the La-5FN will be the Academy/Hobbycraft kit with some resin and new decals. We can hope for the Zvezda, but I think it is very unlikely.

BA Broughton
Apex1701

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 03:59:23 PM »

Hi guys,

reboxing of gavia's La-7??? and even of Zvezda's La-5fn ?

Gosh with all the bells and whistles for the Boys are back, to sell the new Spit IX models with Czech pilots:
http://www.eduard.com/nsv/
and they will repop an old kit for this new proposed campaign???
Does'nt make sense to me.
We'll see ;-)

Jean
Troy Smith

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 09:03:23 PM »

Hi Jean

well, from what I have seen of Eduard, they are not shy of making  everyone KNOW that an item is a new tool.

I've never read anything bad about the Zvezda La-5FN,  and the only complaint I have read of the Gavia La-7 is the narrow rear canopy.   Why spend A LOT of cash on a new tooling when the ones at hand are decent.

Eduard happily re- issued their Tempest only adding some etch for the wheel wells, and that is a kit that needs  a fair bit of work to make a really good model of a Tempest.

Also, regarding the 'Boys are Back' etc, Spitfires sell. Lots. And Eduard crank up the hype.  

wait and see is the answer, but if it's not plastered all over the front of the Eduard site in Flash format, expect new decals and etch on other kits.

T

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:40:27 AM by Troy Smith » Logged
Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 05:52:06 AM »

I agree, Eduard would have been putting out the word that they were working on a new mold Lavotchkin months ago.
The Zvezda La-5FN is a very nice kit. 
I've built a couple of Eduard/Gavia La-7s.  It's not bad (actually it's quite good compared to the awful HC/Acad kit) but  the tail section is undersized.  Compare the rear fuselage and tail on the Gavia La-7 to the Zvezda La-5Fn tail section and you will see what I mean.  Here is a link to a build on Scale Models.ru where the builder attempted to remedy the Gavia problem:

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/6635-Eduard-1-48-la-7---krasnaja-strela.html
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 07:26:41 AM »

In my idea, the problem with the kit of Gavia is that the canopy is too recessed. Perhaps one could make better using the vaku replacement for Hobbycraft and adapting the fuselage of Gavia. It's a thing that we can see on the La-7 of Eduard too, that one excellent modeler modified with a vacu canopy for KP kit.
Regards
Massimo
Apex1701

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 05:44:51 PM »

I guys,

Me thinks I'm wrong after reading in the September Info Eduard that the next big project for 2014 is around the RAAF.
So a repop of Gavia's La-7 maybe with interior resin is coming and of course a rebox of the Zvezda's La-5fn

I'm very for myself thinking about a new La-7 was around ;-)

Anyway I'm looking forward for the november release.

All the best.

Jean
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: