Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Pe-2 of Hobbyboss
Sovietwarplanes
April 19, 2024, 06:12:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pe-2 of Hobbyboss  (Read 6542 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: December 29, 2013, 07:29:01 AM »

Hi,
I've found a preview of this kit.
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/hb/kit_hb_80296.shtml
On a first look, it seems even more hypersimplified than their Tu-2. But, in consideration of its low price and the unsatisfactory quality of other offerings, could it be a base for a kitbashing?
Regards
Massimo
ReccePhreak

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 05:07:52 AM »

I am always a little leery of anything Hobby Booboo puts out.  Huh

I think I will keep plodding along with my MPM 1/48 Pe-2, trying to convert it to a Pe-2R.

Larry
AC26

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 07:02:49 PM »

Hi,
I've found a preview of this kit.
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/hb/kit_hb_80296.shtml
On a first look, it seems even more hypersimplified than their Tu-2. But, in consideration of its low price and the unsatisfactory quality of other offerings, could it be a base for a kitbashing?
Hi Massimo,

HobbyBoss Pe-2 seems to be nicely engraved simplified version of the Zvezda kit. I tried NeOmega resin engines on it. They fit with some fixing. Also other parts (Pe-3 and long canopy conversion, Falcon canopies etc) intended to be used with the Zvezda/Italeri kit will fit to it.

Because of the fuselage breakdown location of the oval side windows have been unfortunately raised. For me this is biggest issue with the kit. Or makes it very suitable for Pe-3 conversion Wink

With the surface quality, general shape and dimensional accuracy and low price I see it very useful at least for me despite some shortcomings.

Cheers,

AaCee
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 08:38:10 PM »

Hi AaCee,
are resin engines necessary or they can be corrected anyway? The necessity of resin conversions deletes one of the main reasons of interest of the model, that is the low price.
I think that a lot of work seem necessary to create the space for any basic inside detailing. Who knows how the pieces of UM fit?
Regards
Massimo
Dark Green Man

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 10:11:44 PM »

the only problem with the UM Pe-2 kit that I have had is the lower aft gunner's station.
and that is more of an exterior problem than an interior one.

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
AC26

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 11:38:30 PM »

are resin engines necessary or they can be corrected anyway? The necessity of resin conversions deletes one of the main reasons of interest of the model, that is the low price.
I think that a lot of work seem necessary to create the space for any basic inside detailing. Who knows how the pieces of UM fit?
Hi Massimo!

It is possible to detail the kit engine cowlings. Later type intake and older exhausts, btw... I mentioned the resin parts made for Zvezda as I have them and they fit to the HB as well.

Need of room inside depends on the parts you are prepared to fit inside. Certainly some grinding is needed. Maybe the underscale Zlinek interior would be suitable for this? I have not yet checked it nor UM.

But I think this as a good canvas as it has good surface detailing. And plenty of interesting alternatives to model! Wink

Cheers,

AaCee
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 08:10:06 AM »

Hi AaCee.
for me, the flat inside of the turret is hard to accept. I would grind and rebuild at least this part.  The exhaust pipes in one piece with the cowling are hard to accept too. Other things are nice. The landing gear legs don't seem bad at a first glance.
Hi DGM,
I'm a bit worried about pointed wingtips and thick canopy. Does aftermarket canopies fit to this kit?
Regards
Massimo

AC26

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 11:03:41 PM »

Hi AaCee.
for me, the flat inside of the turret is hard to accept. I would grind and rebuild at least this part.  The exhaust pipes in one piece with the cowling are hard to accept too. Other things are nice. The landing gear legs don't seem bad at a first glance.
Hi Massimo,

I just a closer look of the kit. I completely agree with you. I'm also thinking that the exhausts might be located a bit too low. I think that relocating them would be possible and also get them looking better. Also the carburetor intakes on both side of engine nacelles are missing.

On the minus side also the rear gunner position is closed from below as well as his upper hatch is closed. This makes conversion to a Pe-3 easier Wink

Despite this I still think that this is a good base for an excellent model but needing either cross-kitting or resin/etched stuff to polish it. Basically this is an engraved Zvezda with less details. It is based on everyone own decision to go with raised detail Zvezda or this one with help from either Zvezda or preferable either UM or Zlinek.

UM seems to have really narrow wing tips, quite rough engraving and at least the long glasshouse canopy top is flat in sideview and section what it shouldn't be. Zlinek is too small but with excellent details.

Anyway, this well be my choice and in all probability in first case for a Pe-3 conversion.

Cheers,

AaCee
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: