Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Transformation of MiG-3 kit to MiG-9
Sovietwarplanes
March 19, 2024, 11:52:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transformation of MiG-3 kit to MiG-9  (Read 5736 times)
Dan_Cooper

« on: October 27, 2013, 05:43:43 PM »

Hello again,

has anybody tried to make a transformation of a MiG-3 to a MiG-9 ?

Currently I'm building a 1/32 scale MiG-3 (Trumpeter) and while making progress
managing the idea to make a converison to the MiG-9.
But I'm not shure if it's doable specially since it would be my first conversion ever.

Has any one hints how it could be done?

regards

Stefan

stefan
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 08:58:41 PM »

Hi Stefan,
it is not an easy work: the nose is all to rebuild (perhaps one could try to adapt the one of a La-5, but there are not kits in this scale, for what I know) besides the fuselage should be a bit 'fatter', that is increased in height and probably in width. Besides there are not 100% reliable drawings.
A kit of MiG 9 already exists in 1/72. In 1/48, this conversion could make sense because there are more kits to cannibalize.
If you want to try a conversion, I suggest to turn the MiG-3 into an early production one, that requires modifications to the details of the nose, deletion of slats and few other things.
Regards
Massimo
Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 11:12:01 PM »

You want to convert a single engine MiG-3 into a first generation twin engine jet Mig-9?  Wouldn't that be a bit like converting a North American P-51 into a F-86 Sabre?  The designs are completely different in my eyes.  What point of commonality is there between the the Mig-3 and -9?  I think it would be easier to just scratchbuild it.

Troy Smith

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 02:13:42 AM »

You want to convert a single engine MiG-3 into a first generation twin engine jet Mig-9?  Wouldn't that be a bit like converting a North American P-51 into a F-86 Sabre?  The designs are completely different in my eyes.  What point of commonality is there between the the Mig-3 and -9?  I think it would be easier to just scratchbuild it.

OK, Dan means this  Mig-9

The new machine, called I-210 or MiG-9, differed from the standard MiG-3 for:

* enlarged mid and aft fuselage to accomodate the new engine;
    * moving back the wing of 100 mm for cg reasons;
    * new plywood panels on the fuselage sides;
    * aereodinamically balanced rudder ;
    * NACA engine cowling with four easily removable panels;
    * two side exhaust stacks;
    * four fuel tanks for a total of 488 l; the ventral tank was still protruding;
    * two oil coolers VMS-8 installed in a tunnel under the nose;
    * AV-5-127A propeller, with 3 m diameter;
    * armed with 3 UBS 12,7 mm with 200 rounds each, and 2 ShKAS 7,62 mm with 650 rounds each; all weapons were installed in the nose;
    * landing gear doors without opening.

see http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/i-210.html

Of course the number was also used on the the early jet, I presume as the I-210/Mig 9 was not produced so the number could be re-used.

which is the early jet you refer too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-9

cheers
T
Dan_Cooper

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 04:16:20 PM »

thanks Troy of course it's the I-210 MiG-9 I mean.

Sorry, should've mention it.

stefan
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: