Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
MiG-3 ICM 1/48
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 12:26:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: MiG-3 ICM 1/48  (Read 29233 times)
skorpio62

« on: November 07, 2013, 08:13:25 PM »

• Hi, I started this kit to make the "red 2" of 12th GIAP: first the change of the wings with the closing of the slats....I noticed that the rivets on the two wings (bottom side) were different Huh also lacked the doors for the armament of machine guns and were wrong also the holes for the rocket pods....

then I passed to the detail of the floor of the cockpit

and also to the vertical tubular structures

radio slot

at the last rocket pods (front the modified), rockets (left the modified) and a cylinder

Now I have two questions:
    1) the part of the floor under the seat is with the tubular structure exposed or with a panel to close?
    2) the walls of cockpit have the panels (like the detailing set) or you see the fuselage (like the photos of restored MiG)?
    ....sorry for my english....and for the quality of photos!
    Stefano
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 06:51:54 AM »

Hi Stefano,
looks a good work.
About the walls: no walls, only a tubular strut, some thin struts to fix the curved panels from outside. You should see some curved space between the strut and the panels.
About the part under the seat: I don't remember, I think that are tubes only. Have you seen the photos of the rebuilt MiG in factory?
Am I wrong, or the lower part of the wing leaves a gap when glued on the upper one?
Regards
Massimo
skorpio62

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »

Hi Massimo,
ok for the walls....now I do riveted joints between the panels....  Sad ; I found a picture of the seat and below are only tubes.
For the gap on the wing I thought of a mistake of the kit....instead is correct so! Is seen in a photo of walkaround done by Y. Pasholok.
I thought about doing struts, cloche, floor and seat in A14 (steel grey), the rest of the cockpit in AE9 (light grey) with instrument panels in black; can go or is it better to do everything in AE9 as can be seen in so many kit?

Stefano
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 05:40:59 PM »

Hi Stefano,
it's hard to say, but I have collected something recetly at http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/colors/internal-colors-primers/internal-colors-primers.html.
Seems that the seat and tubes were painted in an unidentified very dark grey.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 07:19:12 PM »

Nice work so far, Stefano!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
skorpio62

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 12:28:02 AM »

Thanks Jason!
Massimo: struts, cloche and armored seat backrest in AE10, seat in green, floor in A14 and cockpit in AE14....are ok?
The green of the wings which would it be? AII or A19f?
For the lower surfaces I have the Gunze H-45 Light Blue (FS15200) can go well?

Stefano
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:36:38 AM by skorpio62 » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 09:49:31 AM »

Hi Stefano,
looks likely, but there are uncertainties.
AE-10: I've found a chip thanks to Anderey Averin, and it is a different color. I would say 'unidentified very dark grey' only.
The wings: the outer part is thought AII green, while the inner one (metallic) is thought A19f that is slightly lighter.
About 15200: no, it's too saturate for my eyes. At present time the blue of the pieces in Veesiveehma depot is much more greyish, I am not even sure it's AII blue. According to a recall of Andrey read on some manual of I-200, the name could be AE-14. Anyway 15200 is too saturate for my eyes. I would go with some compromise shade.
From http://www.oocities.org/capecanaveral/4676/reference/russian.htm
Much to our surprise we found light blue on both the LaGG-3 and the  MiG-3 was extremely similar. FS35352 was extremely close match to the blue on LaGG-3 (wooden/fabric surface). The blue on MiG-3 was also very, very close to that, both on wooden and metal surfaces. In fact the blues are so close that they most probably are same paint.
Averin writes in his article that blue paint AE-14 was introduced for undersides for MiG-1 and MiG-3 after the end of 1940 (Averin 94, p. 24). Averin's article has also a table where two other underside blues are given, AMT-7 Nitrolak for wooden and fabric surfaces and AMT-28M for metal surfaces. Start of use for both is given as 1941. So russian records have at least three different paints for aircraft undersides.
Of course, the color is 70 years old, even if presumably well preserved. I can suppose that, when new, it was somewhat more saturate and less yellowish, but this is an interpretation.
As you see on http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/colors/1940-1941/1940-41.html, I would make some difference between the metal part, that is visibly lighter on bw photos, and wooden part. But I would avoid extreme shades, going on compromise ones. Personally I think that the chips of the color page are reasonable, I would go with something like those.
Regards
Massimo
skorpio62

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »

Thanks Massimo!
If I understand it the color of the cockpit is the FS 25352, the color of the lower surfaces is the FS 35352; I could find evidence only for 25352 (Tamiya XF-23 Light Green/Blue) not for the lower surfaces neither for the 35550 and/or 25466....can you help me?
For the wings I have 6/7 different green and I think I find the two correct (I have a match for AII green (worn): Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green FS 34151).
Another question: the internal sides of rear fuselage is paint in silver?

Stefano
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 09:48:07 PM »

Hi  Stefano,
25352 is the semigloss version of 35352, it's  the same color but the different finish is probably a problem of ageing. The original ones were gloss or semigloss. As said, I would use a less grey-green color.
Hard to say about the matches... I would use a mix of H-45 and XF-23, but I haven't yet tried. As written, I would use a bit lighter and greyish color for the metallic parts.
The inner face of the rear fuselage in Veesiveehma looks unpainted wood at my eye.
Regards
Massimo
skorpio62

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 12:34:16 AM »

Hi Massimo,
going from memory I thought the first number was the tone instead it is the type of finish.... Embarrassed in effect the tone is influenced by the type of finish, gloss or semi-gloss is darker than the matt.
Tomorrow I'll try to mix the h-45 with different greens and see what comes out.
I'm trying to replicate the initial details of the rear fuselage....I do not think you see nothing but you never know Grin

Stefano
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 07:46:43 AM »

Hi Stefano,
greens... maybe a little of light grey instead, at least for  the AII blue. Please, post some images of your tests.
Regards
Massimo
skorpio62

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 01:55:24 PM »

Hi Massimo,
then green (+ H-45) for the cockpit and gray (+ H-45) for the outside?

Stefano
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 03:52:27 PM »

Hi Stefano, try to match the chips in the page of colors, and let's see what it comes out.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 11:05:19 PM »

Good job so far, Skorpio.
I am also struggling with a MiG-3, from Trumpeter. After a lot of headache, my guess regarding MiG-3 interior colors is the following:

1) The steel pipe structure could be light blue or dark grey (AE-10 as per Massimo's last findings?).
2) The pressed metal frame with Dzus fitting holes and leather pads for the removable panels is light blue, see rear fuselage in Finland and many b/w pictures of dismantled aircraft.
3) The inner face of the engine removable plates is dark (outer green, AE-10 or A-14?), while their supporting frames as per point 2 always appear light.
4) I did not see any pictures of the inner side of the cockpit panels. They could be light blue for better inner brightness, as stated for the Finland relic, but they also could be AE-10, A-14 or green, if this is the color of the engine panels.
5) The rear bay behind the seat could well have been camouflage green. But what about factory-painted white MiGs? The logic suggests it is also white, for better concealing. But most of the pictures seem to show dark paint. Camouflage green does not seem logical to me, maybe "interior" grey?
6) In the relic picture here (http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1522.0) the trim wheel appears medium grey (A-14?), while structure is dark (AE-10?)
7) Now to the seat armor plate. Here (http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1522.0) and here (http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1522.30) it seems to me really green. The black paint could be primer, in facts rust is only on black areas.
Cool Seat, floor and control column seem to me unpainted aluminium, or clear varnished as no traces of other paint is visible. See above pictures of relic and also here (http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1601.0). This does not seem illogical to me, because at least the seat and floor are subject to paint chipping.

I suppose that later examples, as white factory-painted ones, could have more standardized and "grey" interior (mainly A-14 with AE-10 steel frame?) with unpainted "wearing" parts, but these are only assumptions.
Any suggestion? Skorpio and I are eager to close the fuselage halves!
skorpio62

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 01:34:40 AM »

Thanks Otto!
I try to answer your questions:
1) I will do my structure in AE10
2) I'll do all the cockpit area in AE14, except the lower part of seat (green), floor (green) and cloche (aluminum)
3) if I have translated well, I do not care because I will not make the engine exposed
4) I'll do the cockpit in AE14....including the panels Grin Massimo says it's OK
5) I don't find the photo but there is one where you see the inside unpainted wood
6) sorry, with the translator does not understand the question Sad
7) I will the seat armor plate in A14....
I did some tests for the color of the cockpit and the lower parts....is the best photo I've done....

down the color for the lower surfaces at the top for the cockpit

Stefano
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:38:40 AM by skorpio62 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: