Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Late series LaGG-3 schemes?
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 09:33:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Late series LaGG-3 schemes?  (Read 5763 times)
SmashedGlass

« on: January 12, 2014, 03:02:08 AM »

Hello, are there not more profiles/color schemes available for late-series LaGG-3 aircraft? The only ones I've found
are the few on the Authentic Decals sheet, or the usual old Schipov markings that are included in just about every
1/72 kit of a LaGG-3 s. 66. The earlier marks are well catered for with color schemes and profiles, but why so few for
the s. 66???

Help appreciated as I'm about to start building the Eastern Express/Dakoplast kit; the kit decals were cleverly replaced by the
previous owner with a truly useless sheet of stars and numbers, and I'm really wanting to do a green/black LaGG from it.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 10:18:19 AM »

Hi Smashedglass,
I know that the work on LaGGs is uncomplete because there are not profiles of serie 60-70. If you want photos, I can look for them.
Something is available here
http://crimso.msk.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft19958.htm
The most interesting green/black LaGGs of late type are photographed here
http://www.bellabs.ru/Fotab/I-926/I-926.html
but it's very hard to paint such slogans without having a decal.
Regards
Massimo
SmashedGlass

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 12:07:17 AM »

Thank you for the links; it is incredibly hard to find photos online of the late series for some reason.

Also, then, I am wondering if the colors for the Black Sea Fleet aircraft are correct?
As in, the kits with Schipov's markings usually call out the AMT-11/12 grey scheme, but it's hard
for me to tell from photos whether that could actually be the green and black colors instead.

Reference these photos, this first one is usually shown in the two greys:

Whereas this is Schipov's a/c (if I'm not mistaken?) which the kits now also show as two-tone grey, but looks too dark?:

But this one (one of the ones you mention with the interesting slogans, Massimo) is said to be green and black:

Very confusing, going by black and white photos.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 07:29:43 AM »

Hi,
the camouflage can be distinguished because of its pattern.  Both the grey-grey scheme and the black-green one have patterns that are repetitive enough.
The most recognizable characteristic of the black-green one is the black hemispherical band under the fuselage star and the black spinner.
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/colors/1941-43/1941-43.html
The grey-grey one  is angular, without the 'half ball' and the nose close to the propeller is light. The pattern is similar to that of La-5FN, La-7 and Yak-3/9.
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/colors/1943-45-fighters/1943-45.html
Regards
Massimo
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 08:57:07 AM »

Hi SmashedGlass,

Schipov's LaGG-3 "43" has the same angular darker area bellow the cockpit (partially covered by exhaust stains on the left) as is on the 1943 grey-grey scheme, same as on the plane "32":

regards,
      66misos

SmashedGlass

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 04:57:56 PM »

Thank you for the clarification, now I understand what to look for! Mostly.  Cheesy

KL

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 02:04:06 AM »

Thank you for the clarification, now I understand what to look for! Mostly.  Cheesy

there is one more method to distinguish between the early war green/black scheme and late war blue-gray/dark gray scheme:

- In green/black scheme fuselage sides under the horizontal stabilizers were camouflaged
- In blue-gray/dark gray scheme fuselage sides under the horizontal stabilizers were always light blue

This LaGG was camouflaged in blue-gray/dark gray scheme!!!

This one is green/black!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:07:17 AM by KL » Logged
learstang

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 05:48:54 PM »

Great tip, Konstantin!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: