Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
P-39 Airacobras in VVS
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 01:22:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
  Print  
Author Topic: P-39 Airacobras in VVS  (Read 163843 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« on: January 13, 2014, 10:45:51 AM »

Hi,
here is link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arWU-lzYjh0 with the following interesting moments:

34:52 P-39 starts its long journey via ?Northern path? through Alaska to SU. Soviet red stars (older type with black outline) are already painted on the both underwings.

32:04 Original old type USAF white star in blue circle is being repainted to the VVS red star with black outline:

Note rough overpainting of the original blue circle.

33:36 wooden crates with disassembled planes delivered via ?Southern path? are shown. Latter, P-39s are assembled and soviet red stars (latter version with white outline) are painted over original latter USAF marking. White bar and blue circle & outline, still visible, wait for overpainting with green.

Note, fresh OD is quite glossy:

Regards,
    66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 01:36:46 PM »

Hi Misos,
very interesting. Would you use these images to update your article on P-39s?
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:12:47 AM »

Hi Massimo,
yes, I would like to do that. In the meantime I work on templates for another P-39/P-400 profiles to have more pictures. Unfortunately work does not advance as fast as expected. At least the light at the end of tunnel is already visible.
I wonder how fast you or Tapani can make your profiles. Shocked
Regards,
     66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 01:12:36 PM »

Hi Misos,
when a template is available and don't require modifications to panelling or other details, I need few hours for a profile by adapting the closer existing one. The first ones required much more time.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 03:39:23 PM »

Hi,

this is link http://www.vm-drygin.ru/gallery/17 to page of V.M. Drygin from 298 IAP with photo galery showing also his Cobra(-s):

Note how different color shade is on the gun covering side plate with 8 victory stars, like from the different plane. It almost looks like they have one "generic" plate for painting victory stars for celebrating photo sessions used (e.g. repeatedly repainted) for different pilots  Wink

Regards,
    66misos

Troy Smith

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 12:22:13 AM »

Hi 66 misos

somewhere on the site there is a picture of victory stars being painted on with a stencil.   And, I think on here there is mention of a regulation size for victory stars, possibly 5 cm?

This would explain the similar appearance of the markings.

Sorry, I'm too tired to hunt up these threads, or find if my memory is playing tricks.  Might jog the memory of others.

HTH
T
66misos

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 02:32:44 PM »

Hi Troy,
I thought about covering plate itself, not about victory stars. That plate is apparently darker than surrounding fuselage. It looks like either greased and polished or from other newer plane. Not repainted, stencils (one under bottom right victory star) are visible.
Regards,
       66misos

KL

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 06:48:14 PM »

As I mentioned, there is a clear case when gun compartment panel was reused:  Rechkalov's P-39N and P-39Q

this is G. Rechkalov's P-39N

and this is G. Rechkalov's P-39Q

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:22:49 PM by KL » Logged
66misos

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 01:45:36 PM »

Hi,

here is profile of Baranov's P-39 from 28 GIAP based on photo and info from this interview http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1506.0:

In early May 1945 regiment conducted bombing attacks on an enemy forces in the town Palmnicken, using 100 kg and 250 kg bombs.

Pictures and info about FAB bombs taken from http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=685.msg3337#msg3337, put together in one doc over several layers a scaled into one common scale.

Picture of FAB-100

Could anybody, please, specify what exact type of FAB-100 and FAB-250 were used on Cobras?
Thanks.

66misos
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:08:48 AM by 66misos » Logged

66misos

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 09:49:33 AM »

Hi,

here is profile of P-39Q-21 (4-blades propeller) flown by Porfiriy Borisovich Ovsyannikov from 28 GIAP. Same as G. Baranov above, based on photos and info from interview at http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1506.0

Board number "42" belongs to P.B. Ovsyannikov's new plane after he was shot down on April 24, 1945 when Soviet forces were near Berlin. It was a forced landing, plane was damaged and replaced.
In early May 1945 he participated in bombing attacks on an enemy forces in the town Palmnicken, using 100 kg and 250 kg bombs.

Regards,
   66misos

KL

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 05:06:42 PM »

Hi Misos,
in late 1944 or early 1945, both Airacobras should have standard VVS stars with white and thin red outline.

Regards,
KL
66misos

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 05:46:14 PM »

Hi KL,
you are right. White line should be 10cm wide and red one should be 1cm (1/10 of white). This red outline is also in my profiles above, probably not visible enough after scaling down the picture. Next time I will make them a bit wider.

Note the nose part of no. "28" - how dark it is on photo (dirty, grease, gun smoke stains?...). I saw it also on other Cobras. I think it could by also applied on Sukhov's Cobra instead of painting it black/dark green.

I still have doubts about white band on the rudder, although interview is only about 28 GIAP Huh
- Cobra behind Ovsyannikov's "42" has no white band on rudder. Unfortunately its rear fuselage is covered by propeller blade of Cobra "42". Font of "42" is different from "28" and "81".
- Cobras behind Kislyakov have white band on the rear fuselage, not on the tail, where they have serial number. Font of board numbers, at least "81" seems to be same as "28".
- Baranov's no. "28" has only one solid line on the rudder, while next Cobra on that picture has also thin lines on both sides of center wide band.

Regards,
    66misos

Troy Smith

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 08:44:07 PM »

HI 66Misos

The Kobra in the background of #28 is interesting, with the white stripe either side of the tail stripe. 

The image of #42 is interesting, the plane in the background does not seem to have a tail stripe

and it's always useful to see the phtps that a profile is drawn from as well.

The other image on the page is also of interest, as these have rear fuselage bands

thanks for your profile work for the site.

cheers
Troy
66misos

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 05:19:30 PM »

Hi,

I found interesting info at http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_12_start_420.html

USAF Airacobras usually had transmitter IFF (System of Identification) on the back side of canopy, behind pilot's head:

But because the equipment was secret, the planes supplied under Lend-Lease (whether to Soviet Union or to UK) did not have this system installed. Also planes (actually P-400) taken back to USA from UK did not have these transmitters. So back part of the Soviet, British or American cobra P-400 should look empty like this:

That IFF transmitter could appear only in USAF Cobras delivered directly from USA.

Regards,
     66misos

learstang

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 05:50:08 PM »

Interesting information; thank you for sharing!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
  Print  

Jump to: