Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
P-39 Airacobras in VVS
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 09:58:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21
  Print  
Author Topic: P-39 Airacobras in VVS  (Read 163863 times)
KL

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2014, 11:20:05 PM »

For A-21m you could try a colour between the two left chips

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2014, 06:52:23 PM »

Hi Misos,
looks very interesting for a profile. The 'normal' planes on the background are very nice too, with their white nose and markings on the doors.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2014, 08:19:43 PM »

Hi KL,
I will try that A-21m chips. I think I already have some PS mix of that left samples in my comp. I used it on one of alternatives for Sukhov's "50".

Do you have anybody better pictures of orders painted on the doors, please? One on the right door looks like Guard Order, but I do not know what is on the left door.
Thanks.

regards,
       66misos

KL

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2014, 10:32:18 PM »

213th giap's full name was: 213-й гвардейский истребительный Одерский орденов Богдана Хмельницкого и Александра Невского авиационный полк

Their P-39s had either order of Bogdan Hmelnitski or order of Alekander Nevski

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2014, 12:09:48 PM »

Hi,
by the way, EP has made a recent page where there are two interesting photos and a profile of a P-39:
http://www.redbanner.co.uk/History/Frantic/Frantic.html.
Any comments?
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2014, 06:47:30 PM »

EP has made a recent page where there are two interesting photos and a profile of a P-39:
http://www.redbanner.co.uk/History/Frantic/Frantic.html.
Any comments?

Hi Massimo,
the text and profiles are interesting, but I would not comment it because everybody knows how I value Pilawskii's "research".
Can you comment on it? Have you found it interesting and why?
Regards,
KL 
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2014, 11:18:13 AM »

Hi Konstantin,
I've not comments on this page for now.
I found it while looking for his page on Safonov, because Tapani is making drawings of Soviet P-40s including this one.
This page shows a small part of plane n.10 with a well visible stripe that I considered as a demonstration that the P-40 had the Dupont camouflage. But the screenshots made by Tapani don't show any camouflage, even if he has found the same photogram, with the pilot in the very same position. I wonder what is the source of the image of EP.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2014, 02:06:17 PM »

Hi,
I found two interesting things there:

1.) I do not know how old is that article, but the photo of soldier polishing Yak-9 is very similar to one I made and post here on these pages a year ago http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1557.msg11896#msg11896 However I left logo of the source material in the top-right corner. Wink

2.) Photo of this P-39:

is interesting due to white stencilled logo painted under horizontal stabilizer. If I read correctly, I see there something different from what EP saw - three digit number (?), dash, PARM (=Field Airplane-repairing Workshop) and some other letters.
That Cobra seems to be the same one from this photo:

Airacobra was heavily stencilled plane originally. However, stencils are missing here. And surface is quite dark. It looks like this plane was generally repaired and repainted in some PARM which identification logo is stencilled on the fuselage. Huh

KL,
I read elsewhere that Airacobras from 213 GIAP had Alexander Nevsky order painted on the left doors. 

regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2014, 04:40:52 PM »

Hi Misos,
so the plane could have its uppersurface completely repainted in Soviet green. And what about undersurfaces?

Another note on the article of EP: the star on the fuselage of his profile of La-5 is too deformed. The photo shows a not perfect star, but the most part of the visible deformation is apparent, due to the perspective and the curvature of the fuselage sides.

Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2014, 10:46:19 AM »

Hi,
I work on another profile:

It is based on the low quality photo from Avia Dejavu http://crimso.msk.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft20288-3.htm#pics

Same photo but in much better quality is also in Osprey book about P-39, where board no. "67" looks angular, without rounded corners.
Blue band and spinner is AMT-7 from Massimo's Mig3 page.

Still some work ahead. I will appreciate your oppinions and corrections.
regards,
    66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2014, 11:34:39 AM »

Hi Misos,
nice profile indeed.
Seems that the tube around the gun is of a different color than the spinner.
Could you show the better photo, please? I would see the white outlines of the stars that, on this image, looks a bit wider than in the drawing, and so for the white lines around the blue one.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2014, 12:46:17 PM »

Hi Massimo,
sorce: P-39 Airacobra Aces of World War 2 by G. Mellinger and J. Stanaway (Osprey publ.):

66misos

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2014, 09:52:41 AM »

Hi,
here is updated profile:
- tube around the 37mm cannon is dirty/smoked white,
- white outlines of the stars a bit wider as white lines around the blue band,
- digit "6" is i bit rounded on the corners.

Regards,
    66misos
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:51:01 PM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2014, 11:53:53 AM »

Hi Misos,
looks very good. I hope to receive your files to update your page soon.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2014, 12:25:39 PM »

Hi,
here in a profile of the another P-39 from 5GIAD, now from 72GIAP.

Inspiration taken again from Avia Dejavu http://crimso.msk.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft20288.htm and http://www.airfighters.ru/zavaruhn.php
I want to make still another one, the third to the party, P-39 with the white spinner and band.
regards,
    66misos

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21
  Print  

Jump to: