Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
P-39 Airacobras in VVS
Sovietwarplanes
April 16, 2024, 09:26:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21
  Print  
Author Topic: P-39 Airacobras in VVS  (Read 164668 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2014, 01:55:09 PM »

Hi Misos,
very nice drawing. Could you link directly the reference images, please?
Regards
Massimo
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2014, 02:44:08 PM »

Hi Massimo,
thank you. Smiley I did not find real photo of that "21". There are only profiles at the attached links. However, I posted this my profile at airforce.ru forum http://vif2ne.ru/nvi/forum/0/0.htm. I hope some photo or verbal correction will be posted there.
Regards,
     66misos

FPSOlkor

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2014, 08:48:01 PM »

http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/articles/kulakov/index.htm
What about planes from this interview? And there is one interesting Cobra here:
http://www.airforce.ru/history/cold_war/zabelin/index_en.htm
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:54:38 PM by FPSOlkor » Logged
66misos

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2014, 03:38:15 PM »

Hi Olkor,
thanx for links. I browsed them, found there others with interesting photos and info.
http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/articles/shevchuk/shevchuk.htm
Photo of P-39 still in USA prepared for transit to SU. Note already repainted late war USAF insignias on the fuselage:

Here is part of that interview:
"- Do you remember where and how they draw red stars on "Cobras"?
They came to us from the factory with our (e.g. red) stars.
Were aircrafts painted completely with our designation?
Yes.
- Were not American stars there?
They have white stars, and we have the red stars. Do not confuse it. Planes came with red stars. I do not know, where they did it, at the factory or somewhere else.
- Where there no cases that "Cobra" with white American stars flew to the USSR? Could not it be?
No. There also happened, that the planes came from the factory with drawings - jaws of pike or other fish, or mouth of the beast or tiger was drawn directly on the both sides of the fuselage. Beautifully. Different posters and signs were painted.
- Did not you repaint it?
No. We were not allowed to paint.
- Did such planes go to the Soviet Union?
Yes, they did. They came with drawings. But there were not many planes with pictures."

Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2014, 04:51:40 PM »

Hi Oleg,
this one

and this one

Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2014, 07:46:46 PM »

... Note already repainted late war USAF insignias on the fuselage:
They came to us from the factory with our (e.g. red) stars.
Planes came with red stars. I do not know, where they did it, at the factory or somewhere else.
- Where there no cases that "Cobra" with white American stars flew to the USSR? Could not it be?
No.

It looks that more L-L planes arrived in Soviet Union with USAAF markings already repainted by the Americans than previously thought.  From this interview it is clear that not only the planes that arrived through Iran, but also the Alsib planes had there red stars actually painted by the Americans.
All those profiles depicting Airacobras with USAAF blue disks and VVS red stars should be reassessed.
66misos

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2014, 08:39:09 PM »

Hi KL,

IMHO blue circles could be more often at the hectic beginning, with old D versions, when L-L supplies were not fast enough. But lately, when production run on full throttle, they were rare.

Note already red star on the fuselage, same long-range external fuel tank gun console under left wing, sane as on photo in post above.

Regarding red stars via ASLIB see my first post in this thread Wink
Regards,
      66misos
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:53:25 PM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2014, 11:02:08 PM »

Hi Misos, hi Oleg
please have a look to these details of plane 2.

What do you think it could be?

Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »

Hi Massimo,
there is no response at airforce.ru regarding those details. I have ho idea what it is and what colors are on the tail Cry

I made another profile in the meantime, number "81" from 28GIAP of 5GIAD with the white band on the rear fuselage:

Serial no. is apparently painted on the tail, unfortunately is not recognizable on the poor quality photo.

However, there is visible also dark vertical band on the rudder - it looks like repainted original white band, similiar to plane "28" from the same unit, see http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1714.msg13987#msg13987

It looks like vertical band on the rudder was earlier 28GIAP identification mark, latter replaced by white band on the rear fuselage. Huh
Regards,
    66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2014, 01:59:36 PM »

Hi Misos,
very interesting work.
Only, the blurried serial is aesthetically unpleasant. I would guess a serial on the base of the version, writing in the text that it is guessed. My impression is that it could end with 62.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2014, 09:15:13 AM »

Hi Massimo,
I rather would not guess serial number. I preffer that way, it better reflects original photo of P-39 "81", although blurried serial is aesthetically unpleasant. May be my level of aesthetic is not high enough Undecided

Here is another profile from the same regiment, Ovsyannikov's "42":

It is updated profile from my post http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1714.msg13989#msg13989

Quotes from Ovsyannikov interview at http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1506.0
"In our regiment we had white spinners, and I think the rudders were also white. The stars on the wings? I don?t even remember where they were, but I think they were only on the bottom. The serial numbers remained on the fins, but I don?t remember their color. I remember one (tactical number) ?42. This was already after they had shot me down and I had changed aircraft.
In early May 1945 our regimet participated in bombing attacks on an enemy forces in the town Palmnicken? using 100 kg and 250 kg bombs."

I superimposed original photo with P-39 color profile to better see surface painting details on the Cobra next to (behind) Ovsyannikov?s Cobra ?42?:
-   position of the possible white band on fuselage is covered behing propeller blade of Ovsyannikov?s Cobra ?42?,
-   bottom part of the vertical white band on the rudder is visible, same as on Baranov?s P-39 ?28? ? so I decided for this alternative,
-   serial number is not visible.
Regards,
    66misos
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:19:53 AM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2014, 10:10:15 AM »

Hi Misos,
interesting work, but the photo seems to show a much wider section of the rudder painted white. The red star on the fuselage is wider too.
About n.81, I've asked Oleg for a wider photo of it.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2014, 11:28:31 AM »

Hi Massimo,
you are right. However, that partially covered Cobra is only indicative.
IMHO, it is important, that:
- serial number of Cobra "42" is not known (confirmed also by Konstantin Chirkin, one of autor of interview with Ovsyannikov, in personal post), but was there (Ovsyannikov himself: "...serial numbers remained on the fins..."),
- there is a lot of uncertainities regarding 28GIAP regimental marking, confirmed by M. Bykov in his post at airforce.ru forum,
- Ovsyannikov himself: "...we had white spinners, and I think the rudders were also white...",
- Ovsyannikov's "42" is 4-blades Cobra, most probably the new plane, that he received after he was shot down in previous one,
- from interview http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1714.msg14364#msg14364: "They (e.g. Cobras) came to us from the factory with our (e.g. red) stars.", while the red star on the fuselage of that covered Cobra is a big one, looks like painted in SU, not in USA.

IMHO, new Ovsyannikov's "42" had "standard" red stars painted in USA, had serial number on the tail, did not have white fuselage band, but did have something white on the tail. That "something white" could be either rudder completly white, or white band on rudder like on Cobra "28", or white band with two thin bands on sides like on the Cobra next to Cobra "28". Or nothing, or anything between. Huh Significantly wider white band on the rudder could be acceptable compromise.
Regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:46:03 PM by 66misos » Logged

66misos

« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2014, 05:04:16 PM »

Hi,
here is a better picture of P-39 "81" fitted with three-blades propeller from my post above:

Serial number painted on the tail is long, e.g. 6 digits starting with ?4?, the last 3 digits seems to be ?461?, e.g. could be 44-xy461.
The only possibilities for S/N: 44-xy461 are:
1.)    P-39Q-25    44-32167 to 44-32666
2.)    P-39Q-25    44-70905 to 44-71104, but ?461? does not fit here,
3.)    P-39Q-30    44-71105 to 44-71504

?x? is fully repainted.
?y? is partially repainted, its right side is visible and seems to be solid, something like 1, 3, 8, 9, 0.
P-39Q-25 was fitted with a four-blades propeller, P-39Q-30 returned to three-blades propeller, so SN for Q-25 is not an option.

From this perspective the digit to the left from ?461? could be only ?1?, so serial number could be 44-71461, painted on the P-39Q-30 tail as 471461,

Regards,
    66misos

66misos

« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2014, 09:16:04 AM »

Hi,
both-side profile of P-39Q-30 "81" S/N: 44-71461 is here:

Note ring antena on the rear bottom fuselage.
regards,
    66misos

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21
  Print  

Jump to: