Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
KORA 1 /72 I-16 type 29 conversion sets
Sovietwarplanes
April 27, 2024, 06:53:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KORA 1 /72 I-16 type 29 conversion sets  (Read 4684 times)
TISO

« on: June 15, 2013, 08:02:27 PM »

Kora released 4 conversion sets for I-16 type 29 3 for hasagawa kit and 3 for ICM kit. Damn expensive at almost 20GBP at Hannants:
KORC7282 Polikarpov I-16 Typ 29 Soviet service I. Conv.set (designed to be used with Hasegawa kits)
KORC7283 Polikarpov I-16 Typ 29 Soviet service II. Conv.set (designed to be used with Hasegawa kits)
KORC7284 Polikarpov I-16 Typ 29 Romanian service Conv.set (designed to be used with Hasegawa kits)    
KORC7285 Polikarpov I-16 Typ 29 Soviet service I. Conv.set (designed to be used with ICM kits)
KORC7286 Polikarpov I-16 Typ 29 Soviet service II. Conv.set (designed to be used with ICM kits)
KORC7287 Polikarpov I-16 Typ 29 Romanian service Conv.set (designed to be used with ICM kits)

From KORC7282:

from KORC7285
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:04:39 PM by TISO » Logged

Disciple of Error
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 02:00:23 AM »

As I said in my earlier thread on this topic, which is here:
http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1609.0
...I ordered one of the type 29 sets from Modelimex in the Czech Republic. Price including VAT was 20 Euros, so somewhat cheaper than Hannants' price of 20 Pounds, but still not a bargain. I received it last week. Unfortunately, I'm really not as impressed as I hoped I would be. The one-piece wing assembly was banana-shaped from warpage, and some of the details which distinguish the type 29 from earlier I-16's have been overlooked, although Kora have done a reasonable job on what's there:
-Details of the underside of the wing centresection look good - this includes the bulged housing for the 12.7mm Berezin UBS machine gun which in this location was unique to the type 29, and also the cooling air outlet for the relocated oil cooler.
-The cowling face has the earlier (or at least more common) style of oil cooler intake which was relocated on the type 29 to the 7:00 o'clock position to make room for the UBS gun, although this appears a bit small to me.

Details which are missing:
-The type 29 could carry up to 6 RS-82 rockets; the undersides of the wings had metal panels to protect the wing covering fabric from damage due to the exhaust from the rockets. These panels are not shown.
-The ShKAS wing guns carried by earlier I-16's were deleted on the type 29 and a larger metal panel covered the gun bays; this is not shown.
-Recesses in the underside of the wing roots to provide retraction clearance for the tips of skis are not included.

The conversion set does have six quite good RS-82 rockets and RO-82 launch rails; they've also included a prop of slightly smaller blade length but otherwise obviously mastered off the ICM prop, a spinner with a slightly more rounded profile than the ICM one, and main landing gear wheels which are identical to those in the ICM kits. The underwing fuel tanks which are a separate Kora upgrade set are also included.

The decals look very good, having good colour quality and perfect register.

This may be useful:

Also this:

John
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:03:54 AM by John Thompson » Logged
TISO

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:07:35 PM »

Just got the KORC7286 Polikarpov I-16 Typ 29 Soviet service II. Conv.set (designed to be used with ICM kits). Wing wasn't warped as i feared after reading your post. Do you have any pic or ddrawing of metal panels under RS rockets?

Disciple of Error
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 08:32:23 PM »

Try this (from Maslov's 2008 Eksmo I-16 book):

Note that there is a solid panel covering or replacing the wing fabric in the area where the RO-82 launch rails are located; also that part of each aileron is similarly protected. I haven't found a clear photo of this detail yet.

John
TISO

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 02:56:07 PM »

Thanks. Now i see what needs to be corrected.

Disciple of Error
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: