Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Unusual painted A-20.
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 03:46:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unusual painted A-20.  (Read 6807 times)
barneybolac

« on: January 18, 2014, 02:56:38 AM »

First time I have seen an A-20 painted like this before with the Russians.

Can anyone add any information on it as far as colours squadron identification?

http://en.calameo.com/read/001352928e517cbe1283a
Troy Smith

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 05:35:25 AM »

HI

thanks for the Russian A-20 book link.

the camouflage is standard RAF, as some early Boston's were diverted from British contracts I think.

note the same camouflage lines on the nose. the 77 is some US delivery number, see below.

the other side.

The colours are Dark Green/Dark Earth uppers with Sky underneath. These were US made paints to British spcification but are slightly different to British paint, the sky tending to be more cream and less green than the British specification I think.  Nick Millamn wrote about this on his American Aircafrt for the RAF blog but that's invite only now.

Here one in the US before delivery, note the black 17 on the nose, same place and style as the 77 on the VVS plane above.

here are some from 88Sq in April 1942 [wiki sasy 1941 but it's wrong] as they are in the rpocess of having the rondles changed from A type [equal width rings] to C type [narrow yellow and white]  note that Z2230, the plane in the fron has had the blue repainted, but not the red, as the codes got repainted to red as well, and the plane behind has red codes, this still has medium sea grey.  There are load of colour photos from this date as well.

There is a photo in Red Stars 4 IIRC that has a wrecked plane  and has a British serial visible.

But, also the liked book has some VVS Boston pics I've not seen before.

On page 79 of the linked book there is a VVS A-20G, which has the VVS nose conversion and this looks to be repainted with a pale colour.

I've not sen the pic on page 116 either, bort #70,  ser no 39075

The wrecked A-20 on page 117 is interesting in clearly showing a painted out US star with bars, very unusual, and on page 118 there is a overall pale coloured A-20 with a caption about 'TSGAI' I think in cyrillic.  This sounds familiar, but it's late and I'm too tired to look it up.[and if it's Red stars 4, book is a box ..not easily to get at ]

It maybe related to the pic of the post war A-20 which apperas at the bottom of page 119, which I think is also in Red Stars 4, which looks to have a VVS applied camouflage.

cheers
T

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:37:43 AM by Troy Smith » Logged
FPSOlkor

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 07:39:37 AM »

Speaking of A-20... What about this A-20 DO from 1st MTAP?
barneybolac

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 12:21:50 AM »

I was thinking I found a black & green painted A-20 when I first found that picture it looked so dark on the brown areas. Your right Troy it is a standard scheme though.
barneybolac

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 08:45:40 AM »

Anyone care to take a guess at what squadron this plane could belong?

PG monster

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 12:51:39 PM »

Hi all,
the grand son of the veteran Ivan Mihailov sent me some pix and I added it to
http://ava.org.ru/bap/8g.htm some time ago.
So the number (25) of the well known "lion" is known now.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 08:44:14 PM »

Hi,
good photos.
The color looks uniform, could it be that olive drab and neutral grey give this illusion on a bw photo?
Regards
Massimo
barneybolac

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 07:29:43 AM »

Hi,
good photos.
The color looks uniform, could it be that olive drab and neutral grey give this illusion on a bw photo?
Regards
Massimo

Thank you for the reply.
While I am on a roll red rudders like the profiles or not?

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 08:21:50 AM »

Who knows? Photos show strangely dark shadow on the fin instead.
I hope that the Russian author had some sources to say that it was red. The paint of the rudder seems glossy, and this is in favour of red.
If there is consensus and not contrary proof, it can be.
Regards
Massimo
expositor

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 10:11:55 PM »

Maybe it's just green, no?  The red stars are quite pale as is usual in many soviet photos from then, while the rudder is not; and there's a pale star on the port wing as well....Just my two cents, pence, what have you....
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 12:22:49 PM »

Looks likely. The red stars appear really pale.
Regards
Massimo
Graham Boak

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 03:55:36 PM »

If the fins were made by another subcontractor then they are likely to have been painted in a different shade of Olive Drab.  This can be seen on C-47s and B-17s, and it is always a darker shade.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: