Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
New 1/72 La-5UTI from AML
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 10:52:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: New 1/72 La-5UTI from AML  (Read 19759 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 07:21:27 AM »

Hi, Smiley
Let's hope for the best about the fitting of the canopies...
Massimo
Libor Jekl

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 10:17:23 AM »

John,

I keep my fingers crossed and I hope you made some good progress over the last couple of days!? Smiley

Special AML offer
Let me inform what are the next AML's intentions with the La-5 family. There is no doubt the other La-5 / F / FN boxings are coming; anyway, there just started on our local (Czech) website a special "subscribing" action called "Lavochkins of Czechoslovak pilots during Slovak National Uprising and liberation of Czechoslovakia". You can get the following:

1) Limited edition of the La-5FN kit (no.72-048), individually numbered
2) Resin interior, wheel wells, vacu-canopies
3) Extensive decal sheet allowing to choose of many Czechoslovak-flown machines during Slovak uprising, including those credited with kills, plus post-war Czechoslovak La-5's
4) As a bonus, the kit will include bomb racks and 50kg bombs used during the uprising
5) The first 10 ordered kits plus number 20, 30, 40 etc. will also get as a bonus six resin RS-82 rockets including the racks

The kit should be available during autumn 2007, so if you are interested, ask AML via email:? aml@aml.cz

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 01:14:37 AM »

John,

I keep my fingers crossed and I hope you made some good progress over the last couple of days!? Smiley

Hi Libor! Thanks for the encouraging words - last night I gave up on the resin floor and made a new one from styrene sheet - I'm hopeful things will go more smoothly now!

Very interesting news about AML's subscription plan - a good idea, which I'm sure will increase the sales of these kits, especially among Czech modellers! He's a clever and imaginative businessman!

Cheers!
John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 01:01:05 PM »

Hi John, Smiley
how is about your model?
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 04:28:27 AM »

Hi John, Smiley
how is about your model?
Massimo

I'm ashamed to admit that I have not done anything new, except to narrow one of the seats so that it will just barely fit inside the rear cockpit area. On the other hand, I haven't worked on any other models, either! One of those modelbuilding "dry spells", I guess... <sigh!> However, I promise I will get back at it this week, now that my vacation (both from modelbuilding and from work!) is over!  Wink

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 02:28:55 AM »

I doubt that anyone is really waiting for answers on this, but I did *finally* pick up the La-5UTI again tonight (I was waiting for something to dry on the Hobby Boss Yak-3). I fought with the cockpit parts again, but once more my skills and patience were not equal to the task. Finally I just glued in the severely-narrowed rear seat and stuck the fuselage halves together, thinking maybe eventually I can somehow squeeze the other parts in through the top and bottom (wing attachment) openings. Glued on the rudder, too, after too much dry-fitting. In the cockpit, *nothing* fits, not even the instrument panels. The joysticks look like they might be 1/48 scale. Speaking of that, I'm bitterly jealous of the 1/48 scale guys - suddenly South Front, Zvezda, Vector, and maybe even Alanger are all racing to produce great Lavochkin kits, but in the WRONG SCALE!!!  Cry

John
Libor Jekl

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2007, 01:02:33 PM »

Hi John,

Here is somebody waiting your post  Cheesy As I plan to build this kit too, I'm eager to hear any news about your progress. However, as expected, this is not an easy kit to assemble (like the other AML kits...). But please don't give it up! Perhaps the worst part of the built is behind you? Good luck.

Cheers,
Libor
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 03:38:42 AM »

Okay, just for Libor, tonight I attached the lower wing to the fuselage (even though, when I assembled the resin wheel wells to the wing a few weeks ago, I had reduced the depth of the wells by about half, there was still an interference problem which required serious filing and cutting to get the wing to join the fuselage). Then I installed both upper wing surfaces, having previously done major sanding on the inner faces, upper and lower, to get the trailing edges as thin as I could. Tomorrow night, maybe I'll add the stabilizers and start working on the cowling face and propellor.

No further work to report on the HB Yak-3 - my plan is to use a Hasegawa canopy (it's slightly taller and more accurately shaped than the Hobby Boss one), and I've got a Toko late LaGG-3 spinner and prop almost ready - the spinner needs slight reworking to make its diameter equal to the diameter of the front of the HB cowling. I built it up with layers of Mr Surfacer; now it just needs a bit of sanding to finish it. In case anyone wonders why I didn't just build the Hasegawa Yak-3 and make it easy on myself, it was (dumb as it sounds) because I didn't want the hassle of enclosing (boxing in) the wide-open wheel wells of the Hasegawa kit!  Roll Eyes

John
Libor Jekl

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 12:01:43 PM »

Good progress John!  Smiley May I be so courageous and ask for some illustarion pictures, if possible? I think it's pity not show your hard work and perhaps guide many of us to the right way. Please Please  Grin

Cheers,
Libor
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 09:24:17 PM »

Good progress John! Smiley May I be so courageous and ask for some illustarion pictures, if possible? I think it's pity not show your hard work and perhaps guide many of us to the right way. Please Please Grin

Cheers,
Libor

You flatter me! By now, I doubt whether anyone will be inspired by my efforts, but I'll see what I can do. I'm a long way from being finished yet!

In reponse to your question in the Hobby Boss La-7 thread, I haven't decided about the La-5UTI landing gear, although I was considering using parts from a Toko/Roden LaGG-3 instead of the AML parts. Those LaGG-3 kits are great - not only do they look very nice when built, they're a great source of spares, with so many extra parts included to cover all LaGG-3 versions. Obviously they don't have extra landing gear, but I cannibalized the wings from one or two of them when I was trying to kit-bash "perfect" La-5's (that still aren't finished!), so I have lots of parts to use for other projects! I own a Lavochkin wrecking yard, in 1/72 scale...  Roll Eyes

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2007, 08:29:28 PM »

Another update - adding the stabilizers to the AML La-5UTI wasn't as easy as I hoped (I should have known better!). The raised area (like a horizontal rib) on each side of the tail (which is the location point for the stabilizer on each side) is longer by several millimetres than the end of the stabilizer which attaches to it. The inner ends of the elevators also are shaped in such a way that they have to be sanded a lot to allow the stabilizers to make even contact with the locating ribs. In order to attach the stabilizers, I had to sand the elevators and shorten the ribs the stabilizers attach to by filing and sanding the leading edge of these locating ribs to make them match the chord length of the stabilizer roots. Then when I finally glued the stabilizers into place, I discovered that the elevator hinge lines are slightly angled relative to one another, so the tail looked somewhat dolphin-like (swept back)! So, off they came again, and I trimmed the roots of the stabilizers at a slight angle, so that the hinge lines are aligned in a straight line from one side to the other. Arrrgh... Angry

I'm sorry for this long and possibly hard-to-understand description of this process - obviously I would have been MUCH happier just to say, "The stabilizers went on with no problem", but this unfortunately is not true. At one point, I was even considering whether the tailplanes from the Cooperativa LaG-5 might work, and, believe it or not, they actually fit better than the AML ones!  Sad

John
Libor Jekl

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2007, 09:32:22 AM »

Hi all,

Just a brief update on the AML La-5 kits. Yesterday I spoke with the AML owner at the E-Day 2007 show in Prague and I was told the project is slightly delayed. But reasons for this delay are very pleasant for us. One of them is decision to include an injection molded canopy, which will be produced in cooperation with Eduard. There will be at least six boxings, two per each version (La-5/F/FN), with some 'hi-tech' version coming later on as well.They're also re-making the resin parts - they are aware the parts included in the UTI version were not so good. So all in all, the first La-5 kit should appear on the market in about 6-8 weeks. I saw a preview of the decal sheets and I must say I'm very impressed!? Wink
Cheers,
Libor
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 11:58:16 AM by Libor Jekl » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2007, 12:08:03 PM »

Hi Libor, Smiley
this is a good news. Do you know if the fitting problems of the tail and the shape of cowling sides will be corrected in any way, too?
Massimo
Libor Jekl

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2007, 12:26:16 PM »

Hi Massimo,

I really don't know... Frankly speaking, I met Mr.Lazar personally for the first time and I had no intention to ask this sort of questions  Smiley We will see...

Ciao,
Libor
Libor Jekl

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 01:53:45 PM »

Something is happening out threre, check at
http://www.aml.cz/

Cheers,
Libor
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: