Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Strange looking L-29 Delfin ???
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 01:54:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange looking L-29 Delfin ???  (Read 3682 times)
AEROPOXY_YASIG

« on: January 22, 2014, 09:12:34 PM »

Just browsed old SSSR produced movie, from 1973, named (free translate) "Sky behind the clouds" ( За облаками небо)

Found this plane, heavily modified L-29 Delfin, with front intake, single seater and with horizontal tailplane moved to vertical tail base.
Plane is not flyable, but certainly capable to do few short take of runs at full speed.

Wing root intakes are removed and blanked,

And there is one overall black painted Ilyushin Il-28 , playing probably one of Lockheed U-2s, being forced to land by two MIG-15s.

I'm just curious, is this L-29 Delfin some (unknown to me) experimental modification used to play in the movie, or its a movie project, doubling probably MIG-9 ( story was placed in 1946).

Any clue?
RGDS
Aeropoxy-Yasig

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 11:18:58 PM »

That is strange - I certainly wouldn't have recognized it. I'm guessing that it's a movie prop, not an unknown prototype, because of the very large and blunt-shaped, non-aerodynamic-looking wing root fairings replacing the real air intakes. Assuming these fairings aren't just open at the underside to allow air to be drawn into the engine, it must have been difficult to duct air past the cockpit for this purpose without affecting the crew and controls.

I like the Il-28 playing the role of evil imperialist black spyplane, too!  Cheesy

John
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 11:20:40 PM by John Thompson » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: