Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Rest Models Polikarpov I-5 colours?
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 07:15:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Rest Models Polikarpov I-5 colours?  (Read 13066 times)
Troy Smith

« on: January 24, 2014, 09:57:44 PM »

Hi

I just got a Rest Models Polikarpov I-5.

Lovely little kit, but it may be missing the painting instructions, as I can't see any colour references, there may be, but my cyrillic is poor, my Russian even worse!

I found this build

from http://modelingmadness.com/review/preww2/cleaveri5.htm

I painted the interplane N-struts, landing gear and separate rudder with Xtracrylix RLM23 Red, which was the same shade as the decals.

The model was painted overall with SNJ Aluminum, which was then masked over the fabric areas, and the metal areas of the forward fuselage and the cowling were painted with Alclad II ?Duraluminum.?

Is this accurate?  What would the internal colours be?
Nothing here http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/ !

Not sure ifthis would be better in another section, but as it's specifically about a kit, thought this might be a good place.

cheers
T
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 09:26:43 AM »

Hi,
I've found some photos of this plane, and it looks accurate. Seems that a footstep on the left side is lacking (or perhaps hidden in the photo).
About the silver of the fabric, I think that calling it 'AII aluminium' or with any other name would be indifferent. Probably this name wasn't utilized in early '30s, but it's the same.
I would add the same for the red: the shade of the photo is lighter than the one I think correct, but it would have been fool not to match the color of the available decals.
About the metal parts, I have a very close photo of an I-15 with a very similar painting on Polygon n.1, pag. 21, including a nearly identical banner, and it's visible that the metallic surface is polished with a rotating tool, giving lines of small reflecting circles. Hard to give a good reproduction of this, anyway it is hardly visible.
Regards
Massimo

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 11:17:11 AM »

Some images.

Here we see the right position of the arrow.

Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 01:30:15 PM »

Maybe a 'thank you'?
Troy Smith

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 03:19:59 PM »

Sorry Massimo

Thank you very much. 
Distracted, this was part of load of kits I got,   Read the post in a rush, and was wondering if anyone was going to say anything regarding interior colours.

This is where one of 'like this' forum options comes in handy. 

So, anyone know about the interior, and did the kit have any colour information, and mine is missing this? 

cheers
T
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 05:54:45 PM »

Hi Troy,
no problem.
About the inside: I've 3 very poor photos. Seems that the column, the lower part of the seat, the pedals strut, plates for feet and other ones were very light grey or silver; the tube strut looks very dark, possibly black or dark grey; the inner face of metal side planels looks of a medium shade, possibly medium grey. The instrument panel looks black.
Here are seven pages of discussion, including scans of the manual with good details.
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_21971_start_120.html
Scans of Aviakollectia 1/2010 and of the monograph Polygon Warbirds n.1 could be researched on the web.
Please keep us informed if you start the kit or find other informations.
Regards
Massimo
Troy Smith

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 04:54:48 AM »

thanks again Massimo

The link has some interesting photos and drawings.

The kit won't get done for a while, as I've not done an all resin kit, or rigged a biplane, and as it's looks to be a good kit I'd rather not make a mess of it.

The other version with streamlined bulges over the cylinder heads looks good as well...

cheers
T
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 01:03:25 PM »

Hi Troy,
I see. I like the bulged version even more than the ringed one.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 05:58:32 PM »

I'm inclined to agree; especially in the all-red paint scheme.  I have an I-5 in 1/72nd scale (ICM), but I'm going to do that as an "emergency" fighter at Moscow in December, 1941.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
TISO

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 11:04:27 PM »

You can go with all black 46. AP VVS ChF I-5 that operated as "FLAK bait" with UT-1b's from Mozdok airfield with.

Disciple of Error
TISO

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 03:20:56 AM »

Found this pic of I-5 during ww2 but caption looks like Google translate or sometihing:
http://www.histomil.com/viewtopic.php?f=338&t=3918&start=4040
The pilots of the 11th Air Assault Regiment of the Black Sea Fleet on the airfield airfield Baidary frontline near Sevastopol discussing sortie at gunship I-5 bis. Winter 1941 - 1942

If i get this correctly it is from 11. ShAP VVS ChF

Disciple of Error
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 08:17:55 AM »

It may have to do with this note relative to UT-1b:
They saw action in night raids for the defence of Sevastopoland and on North Caucasus area, flying over than 2000 sorties. They equipped some regiments, including the 46 AP of the Black Sea Fleet. Germans nicknamed these planes 'Russian mosquito aviation'.
One of the tactics was to make an old I-5 fighter fly ahead of the group at medium altitude to serve as bait, provoking the fire of the enemy AA that, in such way, revealed their position to the small intruders that attacked them.
I have read of black I-5s, but in this case the wing undersurface looks light. It would be nice to find a photo of an overall black plane.
Regards
Massimo
Ohotnyik

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 12:04:17 PM »

Hi All,
I suspect that the I5-s are not black but green in the upper side and silver in down side.
I could collect these photoes about the plane.

Istv?n

TISO

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 02:01:35 PM »

It may have to do with this note relative to UT-1b:
They saw action in night raids for the defence of Sevastopoland and on North Caucasus area, flying over than 2000 sorties. They equipped some regiments, including the 46 AP of the Black Sea Fleet. Germans nicknamed these planes 'Russian mosquito aviation'.
One of the tactics was to make an old I-5 fighter fly ahead of the group at medium altitude to serve as bait, provoking the fire of the enemy AA that, in such way, revealed their position to the small intruders that attacked them.
I have read of black I-5s, but in this case the wing undersurface looks light. It would be nice to find a photo of an overall black plane.
Regards
Massimo
I found it mentioned in one article about UT-1b and it's combat apllication (23. and 46. AP VVS ChF VMF) i translated for now unfortunatly defunct AWF forum. I don't remember which article i translated as i lost all info (including translations on UT-1B, R-10, Yer-2 etc.) when my computer crashed soon after. I know i did have question regarding few words, among which was cvet which comp translator was unable to cope with and translates in my language (also slavic) as flower and i was WTF is all this about black flowers about  Grin I haven't managed to find pic of all black I-5 yet.
I know one I-5 it is in roster of 46.AP as per HiPM article.
As for pic i posted i think it is standard green over lt.blue or silver with black engine cowling and prop. I didn't know that black sea fleet operated the type.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 02:47:16 PM by TISO » Logged

Disciple of Error
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 04:52:23 PM »

Good collection, Istvan, thank you for sharing it.
I agree, they all seem to have usual finish in green and silver (or blue-grey).
Here is a photo of 1939 showing silver undersurfaces.

Tiso, I think to have saved some parts of your translation on the Yer-2. Do you need I look for?
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:07:03 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: