Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
P-39 Airacobras of Glinka brothers
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 07:08:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: P-39 Airacobras of Glinka brothers  (Read 28695 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« on: January 27, 2014, 09:19:25 AM »

Hi,
This is P-39K-1 of Boris B. Glinka from 45 IAP, total score 27+2 victories.
Following info is from the V. Roman?s book Airacobras over Kuban. The 45 IAP was sent to front on February 18, 1943 with mixed armament ? the 1st and 3rd squadron had Airacobras, the 2nd squadron had Kittyhawks. This serial no. 24415 as well as serial no. 24403 of his brother Dimitry were among these first Airacobras in the unit.
March 9, 1943 - the 45 IAP started combat operations.

Following picture is from the book Airacobras over Kuban by V. Roman:

Russian text says: "On 24415 ... red star is poorly distinguishable on the dark green... (enhanced by retouch)."

end of April - the 45 IAP was withdrawn from the front to be re-armed with new P-39M and N versions.
April 28, 1943 - this Cobra of S/N: 24415 together with another planes was sent to 16 GIAP on.
June 17, 1943 - he got his HSU order (for 15 victories).

This profile shows plane of Boris B. Glinka as it looks in April 1943 during fights over Kuban (10+2 victories by the end of April). However, it is not known whether there were some victory stars painted on the left side of the fuselage. Photo shows only the right side of the fuselage.

Regards,
     66misos
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 12:51:08 AM by 66misos » Logged

66misos

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 09:34:17 AM »

Hi,
This is P-39K-1 of Dimitry B. Glinka from 45 IAP, total score 50 victories.
Following info is from the V. Roman?s book Airacobras over Kuban. The 45 IAP was sent to front on February 18, 1943 with mixed armament ?the 1st and 3rd squadron had Airacobras, the 2nd squadron had Kittyhawks. This serial no. 24403 as well as serial no. 24415 of his brother Boris were among these first Airacobras in the unit.
March 9, 1943 - the 45 IAP started combat operations.
March 12 - Dimitry was shot down. He landed on the fuselage without insuries, but his first Airacobra S/N: 24410 had to be written off ? it was the first ?soviet? K version Cobra lost in combat. By the end of March he had 16 victories (of which 12 were over Kuban) and got his first HSU order.
April 15 - he was again shot down (his second Airacobra S/N:?, B/N:?).
April ? photosession with his third Airacobra P-39K-1, S/N: 24403, B/N: 21. Quotation from V. Roman book: ?Interesting coincidence ? ace won his 21st victory on April 21 on the plane of board no. 21 (serial no. 42-4403). Kuban, end of April 1943.?

Following picture is from the book Airacobras over Kuban by V. Roman:

Picture of D.B. Glinka and part of the profile in the following analysis are from the book Airacobras over Kuban by V. Roman:

End of April - 45 IAP was withdrawn from front to be re-armed with new P-39M and N versions.
May 26 - unit returned to the front.
June 18 - 45 IAP was renamed to 100 GIAP.
July 16 - P-39K-1 S/N: 24403 return from remont to unit and fought another month, untill August 9, 1943. It was the last K version in unit.
Summer ? leading pilots received new P-39N-0 and N-1 models while old Ks and Ls were given to new young pilots. D.B.Glinka has his fourth Airacobra, version:?, S/N:?, B/N:?
August 24, 1943 - D.B. Glinka got his 2nd HSU order for 29 victories. He was the highest scoring soviet pilot over Kuban.

This profile shows plane of Dimitry B. Glinka as it looks on April 1943, during fights over Kuban (14th victory on April 10, 15th and 16th victory on April 15).

Regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 12:51:54 AM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 05:14:34 PM »

Hi Misos,
it's really an excellent work. The drawings look excellent and the research accurate. I hope that you will extend your pages on the site with these new artworks.
Just a typing error: the year 1943 has became 1934.
The ciphers of n. 24415 looks different, more rounded on the photo, as if they had been repainted by Soviets.
Regards
Massimo

KL

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 06:36:16 PM »

It looks that the popeller of Dmitrii Glinka's P-39K did't have "Aeroprop" emblems:

From "Airacobras over Kuban '" book by V. Roman

Other photos from April 1943 photo session:

three stars with white centers could relate to April 15th:
"15 апреля 1943 года старший лейтенант Д.Б. Глинка сбил 3 самолета противника в одном вылете."

HTH'
KL

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:05:25 PM by KL » Logged
66misos

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 04:34:14 PM »

Hi,
thank you for your comments. I corrected 1934 to 1943 in my posts above. Plus I slightly changed profile of B.B. Glinka's Airacobra:
- no. "5" on the tail is overpainted and slightly different from others,
- logo and text on propeller blade is removed,
- repainting of circle under the star on the fuselage is changed from "US" green to some "Russian" green, in this case A-24m (very similar to AMT-4). Photo shows it as very little brighter than surrounding fuselage color (OD),
- repainting of circle under the star on the right underwing is changed from "US" grey to some "Russian" blue, in this case A-28m.

Regards,
   66misos

KL

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 06:51:35 PM »

Hi Misos,
There is a discrepancy between the number of D. Glinkas victories on your profile (14 stars) and the number that can be found in the request for his third "Order of the Red Banner" which was awarded on April 22, 1943.

This document also mentions 3 planes shot down on April 15th, IMHO, represented by 3 stars with white dots.  Following photoshop analysis shows that there is enough room on the detachable gun compartment panel for three rows of stars (21 stars):

Conclusion - photo session was staged between April 22 and May 26 (when D. Glinka again scored 3 victories in one day), probably end of April.  During the session D. Glinka posed with two Orders of the Red Banner only, although he has already been awarded GSS Red Star on April 24th (for 16 victories) and third Order of the Red Banner on April 22 (for 20 victories).  21st victory on april 21 is mentioned in the photo caption here:

IMHO, victory stars on your profile are too big and there should be 3 rows of stars for the total of 21 victories.  
HTH,
KL      
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:11:34 PM by KL » Logged
KL

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 09:31:23 PM »

Check here:
http://www.warheroes.ru/hero/hero.asp?Hero_id=500

Boris Glinka had 10 victories when awarded GSS Red star on May 24, 1943.  All 10 victories were scorred by April 15th 1943.

Then consider what I proposed in previous post - Dmitrii Glinka had 21 victories painted on his P-39 by the end of April 1943, when he became GSS.   With this, total of 31 stars for both brothers makes sense in A.S. Yakovlev's "Tsel zhizni":

На фюзеляжах боевых машин старшего лейтенанта Дмитрия Глинки и лейтенанта Бориса Глинки были нарисованы 31 звезда, обозначавшие количество сбитых братьями немецких самолётов.

HTH,
KL
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:14:25 PM by KL » Logged
66misos

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 09:58:13 PM »

Hi KL,
thank you very much for posting that fantastic document. Roll Eyes It confirms or at least supports mentioned "triple 21" coincidence.
Yes, my Photoshop analysis shows enough space for 3x7 victory stars - I overlayed picture of Glinka with 11 stars behind with picture of another Cobra and scaled it to exactly match panel lines and screws. And finally copied additional stars to empty spaces to get overall picture.

Picture of D.B. Glinka and part of the profile in the following analysis are from the book Airacobras over Kuban by V. Roman.
I added another line of 7 stars on top here.

There are discrepancies due to curvature and perspective, but there could be even 21 stars. Yes, I made 14 victory stars too big. I change them to 21 bit smaller stars.

I do not know how to paint there 31 stars mentioned by Yakovlev. I did not see such picture. However I would like to identify Glinka's plane with 24+ stars http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1367.msg9650#msg9650 It should be N or Q version.
Regards,
     66misos
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:05:53 AM by 66misos » Logged

KL

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 06:16:25 PM »

Hi Misos,
You did an excellent job with your Photoshop analysis!!!

IMHO, there is absolutely no doubt that Dmitriy Glinka's Airacobra originally had 21 victory stars.  Everything fits:  photographic evidence (although clipped  Cheesy), evidence from documents and events/chronology.

Back to your first post and Boris Glinka's Airacobra:

This is P-39K-1 of Boris B. Glinka from 45 IAP, total score 27+2 victories.

June 17, 1943 - he got his HSU order (for 15 victories).
This profile shows plane of Boris B. Glinka as it looks in April 1943 during fights over Kuban (10+2 victories by the end of April). However, it is not known whether there were some victory stars painted on the left side of the fuselage. Photo shows only the right side of the fuselage.

First, there is a wrong date for HSU award.  Boris Glinka became a HSU and was awarded with the Red Star medal on May 24, 1943, 30 days after his younger brother Dmitriy.  While Dmitriy?s award was for 16 victories, Boris was awarded for 10 victories and 200 combat actions.

Указом Президиума Верховного Совета СССР от 24 мая 1943 года за 200 боевых вылетов и 10 сбитых самолётов противника лейтенанту Глинке Борису Борисовичу  присвоено звание Героя Советского Союза с вручением ордена Ленина (№ 9592) и медали "Золотая Звезда" (№ 991).

Second, from Yakovlev?s note it is clear that Boris Glinka?s Airacobra did have victory stars ?painted on its fuselage? .  It is also clear from Yakovlev?s note that the sum (total?) of the victory stars on Dmitriy's and Boris' Airacobras was 31.

We can make an analogy with A. Pokrishkin and D. Glinka.  Both aces had victory stars painted after they were awarded with HSU title.  On both Pokrishkin?s and D. Glinka?s Airacobra?s victory stars were all neatly painted at once and represented number of victories at the time of the award.  It is clear that D. Glinka?s Airacobra had victory stars painted only on the left side of its nose.  This was probably true for Pokrishkin?s Airacobra too.

So, we can assume (or make an educated guess) that Boris Glinka?s Airacobra had 10 victory stars painted on the left side of its nose?  You can make a left side profile of Boris Glinka?s Airacobra using D. Glinka?s stars as a template, same size and spacing.  Say, 2 rows with 5 stars in each row?.

Cheers,
KL
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:17:43 PM by KL » Logged
66misos

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 09:26:47 AM »

Hi,
here are updated profiles of Glinka brothers Airacobras.

This profile with 21 victory stars is based on my Photoshop analysis and KL's comments, see posts above.

There is no known photo showing B.B.Glinka's P-39 from the left side. This profile is assumption (educated guess?) using victory stars from P-39 of his brother Dimitry as analogy (same type, size and top centered position).

Regards,
     66misos

KL

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 07:15:46 PM »

Hi Misos,
both profiles look very good!  Smiley
Also, your profiles are best researched...

Interesting how both Romanenko and Zlobin have D. Glinka's Airacobra with 14 stars:

If interested in awards you should use http://www.podvignaroda.ru/
It's an official site where you can find scans of original documents.

I checked there Boris Glinka's awards and the chronology is as follows:
-  Application for Boris Glinka's second "red Banner" was subbmitted on April 17 and he was awarded on April 22. This award was for 7 victories between March 19 and April 15.  By April 15 Boris had a total of 10 victories.  On same day, April 22, D. Glinka receives "Red Banner" for 20 victories
-  D. Glinka receives HSU title on April 24 for 16 victories by April 15.  By April 24 he already has 21 victories.
-  Application for Boris Glinka's HSU title was submitted on May 04 and he received award on May 24.  HSU title is for the same 10 victories.

Photosession was staged at the end of April when younger Dmitrii had 21 victories, 3 "red Banners" and HSU title while older Boris had 10 victories and two "Red Banners".
Later, end of May, Glinka brothers were photographed by Ogonek reporters.  Ogonek published that brothers had 33 victories at the time of visit:

Last photo shows Dmitrii congratulating Boris for just received HSU title.  

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:18:15 PM by KL » Logged
66misos

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 07:46:02 PM »

Hi KL,
thank you.  Wink
Note that Cobras with visible board numbers have grey propeller blades and 30mm cannon without cover while Cobras above (from Ogonek) have cannon with tubular cover and at least one has black propeller blades with yellow tips. Of course, board numbers are not visible. Apparently different Cobras.

Regards,
       66misos

66misos

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 01:27:48 PM »

Hi,
I posted this profiles today also at http://vif2ne.ru/nvi/forum/0/0.htm
I received this comment from ValeryR (Valery Roman):
"Прежде всего, Вы разместили в Вашей ветке около десятка фотографий и рисунков из моей книги, причем без какой-либо ссылки на источник. Я не давал Вам разрешения делать это, поэтому считаю подобный поступок воровством, и требую снять указанные фото и рисунки."
Translated:
First of all, you have placed in your branch about a dozen photographs and drawings from my book, without any reference to the source. I did not give you permission to do it, so I think such an act is theft, and requires the removal of these photos and drawings.

Regards,
    66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 03:14:49 PM »

Hi Misos,
really a pity. Anyway the research is correct and it is good for publication.
Are those photos available on other sources? If not, it's better to remove them leaving only a reference to the book and page where to find them.
Have we to remove some images from the article on the site?
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 04:09:18 PM »

Hi Massimo,

I wrote at http://vif2ne.ru/nvi/forum/0/0.htm:
... photos are from following Internet sites:
http://airfighters.ru
http://www.airaces.narod.ru
http://pobeda.elar.ru
http://scalemodels.ru
http://ilpilot.narod.ru
And that refference is here http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1740.msg13908#msg13908
"...Following info is from the V. Roman?s book Airacobras over Kuban..."

V. Roman's answer contains:
"airaces.narod.ru - thieves site. Link to it - is inappropriate and indecent.
Specially for you and others who wish to upload pictures and drawings from the book fairly, with permission, I put there the bank page with content and email location. Under all photos (except newspaper at the end) on your branch, please write V.Roman collection, or "Airacobras over Kuban '" book by v.Roman."

I am in direct email communication with V. Roman now and trying to confirm solutions acceptable for both parties.

Regards,
    66misos

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: