Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Photos of early Il-2-translation from German
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 10:50:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos of early Il-2-translation from German  (Read 3765 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: February 25, 2014, 10:50:14 PM »

Hi,
here are some photos of a strange Il-2 shot down by Germans.

It has a German inscription on it; I read abgeschossen durch 20 Kp JRGD om 30 7 41 , but I could be wrong because I don't read German;  it could mean  'shot down by 20 Kampf Jager Geschwader on 30 7 41', am I wrong? Could anyone tell me exactly what is Kp JRGD for?

Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 07:30:39 AM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
Graham Boak

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:45:54 AM »

I would guess/suggest Kp translates as Company (or Corps, but that's a larger formation).  The GD may stand for the panzer division Gross Deutchland.  The JR could be Jager Regiment.  So the aircraft will have been shot down by 20 Company of a cavalry(?) regiment of Gross Deutchland.  But there's a fair bit of guesswork in there.
learstang

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 05:47:28 PM »

I noticed that the tailplanes look intact.  Since German fighters commonly attacked the Il-2 from the rear, I might expect the tail to show some damage.  That it doesn't suggests that this might have been brought down by ground fire, say a lucky shot to the underfuselage radiator, for example.  However, that is guesswork also.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 07:30:56 PM »

Hi,
continuing to guess, the claim from a ground unit looks more likely. It's a bit difficult that the pilot of a fighter can reach his prey to sign it. Not impossible anyway.
One of the photos is entitled
Ил-2 №1 G958 Russland 18.I.R. GD Beute Flugzeug mit Kennung abgeschossen durch 20.KP GD
Ил-2 № 1 G958 Russia 18.I.R. GD prey aircraft with identifier shot down by 20.KP DG
Another is
Orel Orjol Fluglatz russisches Jagd Flugzeug auf Tieflader 1942
Orel... where was the Gross Deutschland division in 1942?

Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 07:41:21 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 03:04:35 PM »

Hi,
I've found something from Wikipedia
On 1 Apr 1942, while resting and refitting near Orel, the Infantry Regiment Gro?deutschland reorganized and expanded to become Infanterie-Division Gro?deutschland (mot.). The existing Regiment became Infanterie-Regiment Gro?deutschland 1, and was joined by the newly formed Infanterie-Regiment Gro?deutschland 2. Supporting units in the form of a Panzer battalion, an assault gun battalion and increased flak, artillery and engineers were added with the upgrade to divisional status.
So the interpretation of Graham is very likely.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: