Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Yak-3 Zakharov
Sovietwarplanes
April 26, 2024, 12:03:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Yak-3 Zakharov  (Read 28455 times)
Lolo

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 10:55:17 PM »

Here  is the better quality pic of Zakharov Yak-3 : it's from the Les ailes de la gloire booklet on Normandie Niemen and it comes directly from the J. Risso collection.

- As you can see it has got unicolor spinner : Now next question is which color is the spinner ? grey ? blue ? red ?

Lolo

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:05:16 PM by Lolo » Logged
Lolo

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 11:02:14 PM »

And here is the Zakharov La-5 :

This pic is from the Icare magazine n?65

And here is the pic from a russian forum - I don't know if it is Zakharov plane but the pilot sure looks like Zakharov and it's the same emblem.

Lolo
xan

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 11:32:46 PM »

oh thanks Lolo, a wonderfull pic!
I was loocking for it for a long time!
This one will be soon a model subject...
Konstantin did you see this splendid splinter camouflage in the wing?

Xan

KL

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 11:41:10 PM »

Hi Lolo, thanks for the excellent photos!

i am not sure about the pilot on your second photo - probably someone else...  Note that there is no white arrow on that particular La-5.  According to camouflage scheme and red star with thin red outline photo was made after September 1943.

Here  is the better quality pic of Zakharov Yak-3 : it's from the Les ailes de la gloire booklet on Normandie Niemen and it comes directly from the J. Risso collection.

- As you can see it has got unicolor spinner : Now next question is which color is the spinner ? grey ? blue ? red ?

Spinner is almost certainly blue-gray AMT-11, ie. still in factory colour.  Red colour on that photo is light gray, almost white:  text on the propeller blade is red, red banner on the badge is red.  The shield behind the Saint George is red too.
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 11:44:42 PM »

Hi,
nice pictures. Although camo scheme is not exactly like this first production La-7:

or NKAP 1943 scheme:

but definitely splinter and hard edges.
Note very dark (black? blue?) outline of the board number "15" in comparison to red star.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:46:47 PM by 66misos » Logged

Lolo

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 11:49:18 PM »

My memory did tell me that I had already seen a similar looking La-5 :

from this topic : http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1578.0

Is it really Zakharov plane Huh?

Lolo

KL

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 12:02:03 AM »

nice pictures. Although camo scheme is not exactly like this first production La-7:

or NKAP 1943 scheme:

but definitely splinter and hard edges.
Note very dark (black? blue?) outline of the board number "15" in comparison to red star.

Are you saying that those were NKAP "recommendations" ignored by the industry and that Zavods continued to utilise their own schemes and use paints of their choice?

IMHO, that is as close as possible to the original drawing...
learstang

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 12:11:37 AM »

I find the inclusion of St. George rather interesting; it was my impression that the Soviets did not look kindly upon any aircraft markings with religious connotations. I suppose there are always exceptions.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 01:08:47 AM »

Hi KL,
Are you saying that those were NKAP "recommendations" ignored by the industry and that Zavods continued to utilise their own schemes and use paints of their choice?
IMHO, that is as close as possible to the original drawing...
I am not sure we speak about the same comparison.
I fully agree, that painting on the first production La-7 is (almost) identical with NKAP 1943 scheme. However, they both are different from painting on the La-5F "15" left wing (not mention fuselage painting).

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 01:31:34 PM »

Hi Otto,
I supposed that the most logical knight's posture is facing forward, so left on the left and right on the right. But AML decals are both facing left, so Konstantin's theory is right for me!
The painting of St.George is complex and time-requiring, likely painted with brush without masks. Besides all 3 photos showing it are from the same side. So I don't think it was made on both sides.
Hi Lolo,
Here  is the better quality pic of Zakharov Yak-3 : it's from the Les ailes de la gloire booklet on Normandie Niemen and it comes directly from the J. Risso collection.
Nice photoof the Yak, but it could be photoshopped. I think to see a discontinuity in the shades on the spinner close to the deleted 'nail'.
Anyway I suggest uniform grey for the spinner, there is not any discontinuity in shade or reflection if compared to the cowling.
About the La-5s: great images indeed, thank you very much for sharing. Anyway I don't think they are of the same plane; one can see differences, as the engine mark on the cowling.
Hi Konstantin
Spinner is almost certainly blue-gray AMT-11, ie. still in factory colour.  Red colour on that photo is light gray, almost white:  text on the propeller blade is red, red banner on the badge is red.  The shield behind the Saint George is red too.
I agree. Red can also justify its dark look on another photo.
Hi Xan
this splendid splinter camouflage in the wing?
For what is shown, only the band on the wing is so sharp, the other ones are blurried as usual. I suppose it was repainted.

Regards
Massimo
xan

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 07:01:35 PM »

I don't think they are of the same plane; one can see differences, as the engine mark on the cowling.
it's not a problem for me, Zakharov have surely fly one La-5 but more...

Xan

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 07:57:43 PM »

There is another name on the profile of the plane with the knight emblem.  G.M. Novokreshenov, if I don't miss.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 08:23:43 PM »

Is it really Zakharov plane Huh?

No, this is not Zaharov's plane.  It clearly says:

G.M. Novokreshchenov's La-5F, 50th iap, 315th iad

Back to Zaharov's Yak-3:  Saint George on the red shield was also a traditional coat of arms of the city of Moscow!

After the Revolution the Coat of arms has been changed, but today it's again the red shield with saint George slaying the dragon

KL

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2014, 09:16:04 PM »

So Far we have answers on two questions:

1.  Spinner was blue-gray AMT-11, still in its factory colours
2.  Shield behind the rider was red

Other two questions: about the markings on the other side (a.k.a. Dark Side of the Moon) and about the fuselage number probably will remain unanswered for long time.  Lips Sealed  Embarrassed

Zaharov's Yak-3 probably had a number between the red star and the tailplane.  What number - nobody knows...
There was a Yak-3 in Normandie-Niemen with number "1", so this number may have been considered taken Huh

HTH,
KL
xan

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2014, 09:35:07 PM »

Zaharov's Yak-3 probably had a number between the red star and the tailplane.  What number - nobody knows...
There was a Yak-3 in Normandie-Niemen with number "1", so this number may have been considered taken ??
If a remenber well, it was the Chall?'s plane.But why do you say that?
Zakharov didn't flight with the normandie rgiment, He was the chief of the 303 division and comes only time to time in the normandie's airfield...

Xan

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: