Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Yak-3 Zakharov
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 04:31:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Yak-3 Zakharov  (Read 28310 times)
otto

« on: March 14, 2014, 01:55:30 PM »

Hello everybody
My next soviet plane, after the MiG-3 I am currently working on, could be Zvezda's 1/48 Yak-3. I would like to paint it as general Zakharov's mount: I have AML decals for it.

I have some doubts about the colors of this aircraft:
The background of the knight's badge is red, blue or another color?
Was this badge only on the left? And, if it was on the right, was the knight facing forward or rearward?
What's the color of the spinner? Camouflage gray? Half gray and half red as per AML? Half yellow and half red as per Eduard? With red star edged black as per Begemot?
I know that my questions are like "what's the color of a t-rex?". But I would like to hear some opinions about this issue.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:58:40 PM by otto » Logged
KL

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 04:52:33 PM »

This may help:

otto

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 12:13:36 PM »

Thank you Konstantin, I never saw this picture before! Cheesy
It seems to me that the portion of spinner out of the picture is too small to accomodate a star, so the painted part could be a "nail" as suggested by AML and Eduard. On the other hand Begemot, which proposes a star, seems to me quite an accurate source. Perhaps I better choose a better documented subject Huh Huh Huh
KL

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 07:31:21 PM »

That "nail" is something in front of the spinner or in front of the photo.  Its form doesnt follow the curvature of the spinner.
It could be a corner that held photo fixed to album page (you remember how photos were fixed to album pages long time ago?)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 08:37:55 PM »

Could be. Probably there is an uncropped version of the image in some collection. It could be reachable. Is the source French or Russian?
Regards
Massimo
xan

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 09:30:06 AM »

It's a little bit strange; the Zakharov's yak is very famous , and in the memories of Normandie Niemen'pilots, they allways talk about his La-5 (FN I think)
There is a pic in "Pegase" magzine, but we only see the noise, If anyone knew about a profil or a pic of zakharov's plane , I will be very glad...
Zakharov was such a great man.
Before the GPW in fought in Spain in China too...
If anyone know something about the plane he flew there, I will be interested too...

Xan

otto

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 09:24:46 PM »

Yes KL, it could be a corner of the picture. There is a famous picture of a Pfalz D.III where a corner was placed exactly showing the lower wing as it was painted two colors! But in this picture the corners were clearly visible at the four edges, while I don't see them on Zakharov's picture. My "feeling" here is that it is really painted or, at least, some object in front of the spinner but not a picture holding corner. The shadow on the object seems to me that it belongs to the spinner's curvature, although the "nail" is a very strange kind of artwork for a spinner.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 11:03:18 AM »

Hi Otto
The shadow on the object seems to me that it belongs to the spinner's curvature, although the "nail" is a very strange kind of artwork for a spinner.
I'm not sure of this. The triangle looks to have an horizontal gradient of darkness, while the spinner has an oblique one. The image could have been cropped asymmetrically because it had defects on the right side, that is unnaturally whitish.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 06:48:33 PM »

Officers on the photo above are (from left to right): major Zamorin (523 iap commander), general-major Zaharov (303 iad commander), lieutenant Risso (Normandie-Neman) and mayor Kristinskiy (not VVS, probably infantry).  Photo was taken in spring 1945 in Germany.

In 1945, two regiments within 303 iad were quipped with Yak-3s: 18 giap and Normandie-Niemen.  Two other regiments, 523 iap and 9 gviap had La-7s.

Zaharov's Yak-3 belonged to division stab, IMHO it was marked as 18 iap Yak-3s. So, it had white arrow, number should have been at mid-fuselage, close to the arrow's break, and the spinner was factory painted in blue-gray AMT-11. Something like this:

this Yak without a number is interesting - could be commander's, ie. Zaharov's:

Arrow on Zaharow's Yak-3 was outlined in red, see on here:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 06:58:31 PM by KL » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 08:31:16 PM »

Hi,
the decals sheet has a number 1 that doesn't appear on photos, supposedly hidden by the officers. Its moved back position is unusual, but could be justified by the emblem.
I wonder if it is only a guess of the author of the profile, or its presence is documented. Perhaps they thought that only a 1 could have been placed in the reduced space between the star and the tail.
The arrow on the photo of Zakharov seems to end at the star on the visible side, while the other plane without number has an arrow continuing up to the tail. If it is the same plane, it's asymmetrical.
Regards
Massimo
Lolo

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 11:11:18 PM »

Hello

I've seen a much better quality reproduction of the KL photo with the strange bicolor marking on the yak 3 spinner of Zakharov in a small french publication. The photo is directly issued from J. Risso collection. It has not the bicolor marking - it's one unique color. I'll try to scan it tomorrow and post it on the forum.

Regarding the small number "1" at the end of the arrow - near the tail section - one should notice that when the Normandie Niemen pilots got their first Yak 3 (probably second hand - may be ex 18 giap ?) some of them were marked with small numbers (44 for instance) near the tail section with no arrow marking and no tricolor spinner. You obviously see the repainting of these small numbers with camouflage a bit darker than the original (probably fresh paint ?) on some photos (nb 1 of Leon Ougloff). So a small 1 near tail end is possible. but why a 1 Huh It was the commander plane so it was may be ok to give it the number 1 Huh

Anyway, there is also a picture of a La-5 I found on a russian forum with exactly the same emblem of a knight riding a horse and killing a dragon but it seems with no background (Huh) and no arrow. This La-5 got number 15. The pilot sitting in the cockpit look like Zakarov.
I'm not comfortable posting it as i cannot credit who owns it (I don't know who owns it).

Lolo
xan

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 08:38:11 AM »

The small numbers were painted in the factory and were the serial number begining.
Be carefull "1" number for the leader's plane is true in the franch tradition not in VVS tradition.
About the LA-5 pic I would be very very interested to see it.
I think soviet pic are not submitted to author rights, so I think you can post it in this forum
and Anyway if you could send it by PM for exemple I will be very pleased..
Xan

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 01:00:07 PM »

Hi Lolo
Anyway, there is also a picture of a La-5 I found on a russian forum with exactly the same emblem of a knight riding a horse and killing a dragon but it seems with no background (Huh) and no arrow. This La-5 got number 15. The pilot sitting in the cockpit look like Zakarov.
I'm not comfortable posting it as i cannot credit who owns it (I don't know who owns it).
I don't think it is a problem. But if you are not comfortable, could you give the link of the forum, please?
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 09:17:45 PM »

Was this badge only on the left? And, if it was on the right, was the knight facing forward or rearward?

In orthodox tradition Saint George is facing to the right

Naturally, everything in Soviet tradition that associates to Saint George should be facing left

There is actually a lot of symbolics in that depiction on Zaharov's Yak-3:  In orthodox Christianity Saint George is called "Victorious" and his memorial was celebrated on May 06 in Soviet Union.  German capitulation and VE-day practically coincided with Saint George the Victorious day.  May 6th would be also the "name day" (something like a birthday) for everybody with the name George in Russia.

Another George, namely Georgiy Zhukov was the real Georgiy the Victorious in 1945! He appeared riding a white horse during the Victory Parade on June 24, 1945

Zhukov riding a white horse was inspiration for Soviet artists

Of course Zhukov is facing to the left....   
otto

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 10:52:34 PM »

I supposed that the most logical knight's posture is facing forward, so left on the left and right on the right. But AML decals are both facing left, so Konstantin's theory is right for me!  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: