Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Primer?s ALG-1, ALG-5 and 138A
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 07:59:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Primer?s ALG-1, ALG-5 and 138A  (Read 3694 times)
Pete57

« on: April 04, 2015, 12:10:25 AM »

The 1951 MiG-9 maintenance manual ? Ремонт Самопета МиГ-9 ? may cast some light on the aircraft finishing practices of the VVS in the early fifties.

Page 226, the section titled РЕМОНТ ЛАКОКРАСОЧНОГО ПОКРЫТИЯ САМОЛЕТОВ, Подготовка лакокрасочных материалов перед их применением ( AIRCRAFT PAINTING DURING REPAIR, Preparation of paint before application - roughly the equivalent of the Section VII of the US Erection and Maintenance Manuals), states

Грунт  138А разжижается:

а) при нанесенни его непосредственно на металл ? разжижителем РДВ;
б) при нанесенни его на грунт  АЛГ-1 или АЛГ-5-скипидаром или сольвентом .

This should roughly translate into

Liquid primer 138A:

a)   When applied directly over the metal, use RDV thinner
b)   When applied over primer?s ALG-1 or ALG-5, thin with turpentine or solvent

Thus it appears that the primer 138A, could not only be used as an alternative to the two zinc chromate primer's, but even be used in conjunction with them!

Page 227, section ПРАКТИЧЕСКИЕ МЕТОДЫ ОПРЕДЕЛЕНИЯ ЛАКОКРАСОЧНОГО, ПОКРЫТИЯ НА САМОЛЕТЕ (PAINT PRACTICES, AIRCRAFT FINISH) states

Проверить грунтовку покрытия. Окраска самолета нитроэмалями большей частью производится по грунту 138А коричневого цвета; масляные покрытия наносятся по грунту АЛГ-5 серо-зеленого цвeta или по грунту АЛГ-1 желтого цвeta.

This, in turn, should roughly translate into

Type of coating by primer type. Use aircraft nitro-enamel over brown primer 138A. Use oil-paint over grey-green primer ALG-5 or yellow primer ALG-1.

The above, along with the fact that both the primer 138A and the two ALG primer's are in the Albom Nakrasok, leads to the following considerations.

Primer 138A, specifically called liquid primer, must have been red-brown in color (it is called red primer 138A in an article in Wunderwaffe) and somehow translucent, not unlike the Prussian Blue Lionoil primer,used by the US aircraft industry (especially by Curtis) alongside the yellow  and the green zinc chromate primers, or the Aotake used by the Japanese aircraft industry.

Zinc chromate primer ALG-1, was greenish-yellow in color, not unlike the US zinc chromate primer, and its color variations were within the yellow-green range only.
The same applies to the ALG-5, given that it was a 50% mix of ALG-1 and grey A-14.

The wild variations in the color of the ALG-1 found in the aircraft wrecks - leaving aside the weathering and the state of preservation of said wrecks - may therefore be attributed to the application of one or more layers of primer 138A over the ALG-1.

My two cents only? Wink

Best regards,

Pete57

Pete57
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 07:06:04 AM »

Hi Pete,
thank you for having posted these notes.
I've seen the red-brown primer on photos of wrecks of Il-2 and, if I remember well, of LaGG-3. Now there is some clarity about the fact that it can be both alternative or overposed to known zinc chromate primers. In a case, I remember retouches made with a orangeish primer on Il-2s.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 08:11:19 PM »

Massimo, do you think it's that red-brown primer that gave rise to the myth that Il-2's (and other GPW aircraft) were painted in a brown/green camouflage? It seems likely to me.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 08:43:46 AM »

Hi Jason,
it's likely. Seems that the red brown was more persistent than outer colors.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: