Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1936/1940 VVS colors and the I-16
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 08:50:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1936/1940 VVS colors and the I-16  (Read 11208 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 07:53:15 PM »

Hi,
yes, it was on greens but, as you say, unconclusive.
In some I-16s we see a difference in shades, but it could be that the older planes were repainted with the newer colors, so the relation between colors and year of building can be altered.
On the photo where '9' and 10' appear, if we look at the second and third plane on the right, we see that the older plane (recognizable for the sharp spinner)  is unexpectedly lighter than the newer one (with bulged spinner).
The MiG-3 seems to have the same color of I-16s on wooden parts, and the same of SB on metal parts.
A similar comparison between MiG-3 and I-153 could be useful, because I've never seen the same duality of greens on this biplane, and I suspect it is all painted with the lighter shade.
Regards
Massimo
xan

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 11:36:00 PM »

it could be that the older planes were repainted with the newer colors, so the relation between colors and year of building can be altered.
According to Hormat, in this period, old painted aircraft were not repeinted...
We know that this happens in 1941 with the adjonction of AMT-6 color.
I have to say thet most of type 5 in the pics seems darker to me
Alex my Russian Friend is ending the translation in french of the Orlov paper, and it seem full of information...
Massimo did you get an english translation ? Konstantin you read it I suppose?

Xan

KL

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 12:18:14 AM »

it could be that the older planes were repainted with the newer colors, so the relation between colors and year of building can be altered.
According to Hormat, in this period, old painted aircraft were not repeinted...
We know that this happens in 1941 with the adjonction of AMT-6 color.

I also think that the lighter I-16s Type 5 were repainted in 1940-41.  Only those with black engine cowlings may have been in original colours.

Hornat is talking about the camouflage orders, those old I-16 were repainted because they were overhauled.  As new I-16 appeared, old Type 5 were either conserved (put in storage) or used as trainers.  A plane made in 1936 (even if used as a trainer) would be overhauled and repainted by 1941 if remained in service.

Regards,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 03:07:23 PM »

Hi,
Massimo did you get an english translation ?
I have the full translation of the part after 1940/1941, the part before is fragmentary. If you have the part on the '30s, I can try to read it in French.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: