Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Silver Il-2?
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 10:10:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Silver Il-2?  (Read 36338 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 01:00:19 PM »

Hi,
I just received the reply on scalemodels.ru pointing at the same discussion "white vs. silver" at propjet.ucoz.ru forum http://propjet.ucoz.ru/forum/2-60-16161-16-1397052492 started on April 9th, 2014.
According to the discussion and VVS documents posted there the alluminium paint was real alternative, at least generally. One post from yesterday gives a link
http://www.muzeumlotnictwa.pl/index.php/digitalizacja/katalog/1771 - one picture there shows "silver" VVS DC-3:

Another post from yesterday shows the same photo of Il-2 "2" as from the beginning of this thread. So, I am very curious for the outcome of that discussion.
Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 02:15:08 PM »

Hi Misos,
beautiful photo, looks a Soviet-built Li-2.  It's still to understand if the plane was fully painted silver or the uppersurfaces only.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 02:37:32 PM »

Hi Massimo,
look at the rear bottom fuselage - I see there demarcation line going from right to the left slightly upward - above it is shining silver, bellow it is matt surface - (blue?) paint or reflection from the snowy ground?
Regards,
   66misos

KL

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 09:19:10 PM »

beautiful photo, looks a Soviet-built Li-2.  It's still to understand if the plane was fully painted silver or the uppersurfaces only.

It could be a Soviet built PS-84.  In this case it would be overall silver, like this early PS-84

Regards,
KL
KL

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 09:24:57 PM »

Another post from yesterday shows the same photo of Il-2 "2" as from the beginning of this thread. So, I am very curious for the outcome of that discussion.

That's because we are making circles between 3-4 forums.  Same people, same photos, same opinions, same misconceptions...  I don't think anybody can add anything new at this point.
66misos

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 10:57:07 PM »

Hi KL,
...we are making circles between 3-4 forums. Same people, same photos, same opinions, same misconceptions...  I don't think anybody can add anything new at this point.
I agree with you, I would only add that "usually under different names". Not all and always, but usually. And then one can communicate with the same person on the different forums althogh have no clue about it.
Btw, is AlexGRD from propjet forum the same person as Alex from airforce.ru forum?
Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 07:59:05 AM »

Hi,
then, it could be considered a civilian livery (strangely, on an armed plane) instead of a winter camouflage.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2014, 09:04:26 AM »

Hi,
as far as I know, civilian planes were silver overall and (usually) were/are not armed - exactly like that "CCCP-H" DC-3/Li-2 from KL's post above.

However, this DC-3/Li-2:

1.) is armed and
2.) there is demarcation line marked by red arrows, above it is shining silver, bellow it is matt surface - paint (original Neutral Grey or VVS light blue?) or reflection from the snowy ground?

Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2014, 09:24:55 AM »

Hi Misos,
could they be the shadows of the men? One has right the shape of the big cap of the man in front of the red star, and the shadows on the ground of the men reach the shadow of the plane.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2014, 04:23:19 PM »

Hi Massimo,
shadows could be two darker blotches bellow two red arrows on the right. But I mean whole matt area bellow all four red arrows.
Regards,
    66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2014, 10:35:02 PM »

Hi Misos, can be. The plane hasn't any civilian code. Strangely the color isn't extended to the turret.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2014, 05:13:04 PM »

Hi,
here is my attempt to colorize bw photo of Il-2 in the winter painting:

I was surprised how difficult it was, although (or due to?) there is only couple of colors. As I already wrote before, original photo is full of compression artifacts with minimum details. In some moments it was more painting new picture than colorizing bw photo. However, I did not want to change the "character" of that Il-2 - to make it too white or too silver. Your comments and/or advises are more than welcome.

Regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 10:31:28 PM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2014, 06:28:59 PM »

Hi Misos,
try with color balance, turning the shadows to blue-cyan and lights to red.
Besides the base photo needs much more restorations.
The profile of the rudder should be a bit shorter.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2014, 10:41:32 PM »

Hi Massimo,

I changed a bit the color balance, as you wrote - shadows to blue-cyan and lights to red. Plus I repaired some other details. I replaced photo above with this new one.
However, overall restoration basically requires to repaint the whole photo, too much work, too much time. I am not sure the photo is worth of it.

Regards,
  66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2014, 06:50:46 PM »

Hi Misos,
I see.
I suggest to turn the shadows on the snow to blue-cyan.
Have you found other photos of Il-2 to colorize?
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: