Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Silver Il-2?
Sovietwarplanes
April 18, 2024, 09:30:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Silver Il-2?  (Read 36531 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2014, 06:54:31 AM »

Hi Massimo,
picture after hue adjusted to a bit more cyan/blue a adding some grains:

Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2014, 08:05:47 AM »

Hi Misos,
looks somewhat better, I think you should blend a bit the red stars, they can't be sharper than the plane outline, and add a bit of blue-green to the armorglasses.
Again, the man should have a bit more colour, particularly on its skin. Perhaps you coud merge his feet into the shadow of the plane, now it looks as glued on the photo.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2014, 06:50:13 PM »

Hi Misos,

underside of the engine cowling should be light blue too; same as rear fuselage underside.  Light blue color should be lighter than AMT-7  you are using (try AII light blue + A-18f).  Light blue is so light that the border between silver and light blue isn't visible on b/w photo.  

Border between the silver and light blue in front of the horizontal stabilizer is not visible on the original photo and it's prominent on the colorized photo - you may try to fix this...  or if that is a shadow of the horizontal stabilizer, it should be as diffused as wing shadow on the engine cowling underside.  This area is also within the "snow cloud" created by the snow thrown back by the propeller - maybe you should work on this cloud a bit more...

Compare original with your current colorized version:

The airplane was moving forward - the "snow cloud" starts behind the main wheels and definitely engulfs horizontal stabilizer and lower part of the vertical stabilizer. All this is lost on colorized version...

Top of rear fuselage is in deeper shadow than the fuselage underside.  This is also lost at the colorized version.  top of engine cowling and probably the rear of the cockpit canopy also should be in shadow.  These shadows would make metallic effect more realistic... 

Cheers,
KL

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:12:34 PM by KL » Logged
66misos

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2014, 02:05:47 AM »

Hi,
here is another update. I took all comments from your last posts and tried to fix them one by one.

That guy looks at the starting plane now. In previous pics he looked at cameraman.
Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2014, 08:18:16 AM »

Hi Misos,
one of the legs of the man is of different color. Besides there is a thin stripe of the coat that is too light (or a stipe of sky that was colored brown), Besides there are blotches on the coat that doesn't seem real, but a damage of the photo.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2014, 05:51:42 PM »

Hi Misos
excellent, I really like it.  Only few things to add:

1.  Make propeller blades black (more realistic, some of detail is lost on original b/w photo)
2.  top of rear fuselage looks metallic, use same technique (same gray) on top of cockpit canopy armor, in front of the windscreen and on top of engine cowling (just behind the spinner)
3.  Snow cloud under the wing is like a triangle:  its one tip is behind the main-wheel and it's widening to left.  Its top tip is under the flaps.  I would even exaggerate this because it would add some dynamics...

Following photos may help with the "snow cloud"

HTH,
KL
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:01:03 PM by KL » Logged
66misos

« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2014, 10:56:45 PM »

Hi,
another update:
- guy corrected,
-propeller reworked,
- reworked snow cloud behind propeller/plane - KL thank a lot for very illustrative pictures,
- front fuselage&cockpit aluminium surface reworked (hope improved  Undecided)
- some other touches here and there.

regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:28:57 AM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2014, 06:41:39 AM »

Hi Misos,
the man is returned as it was.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2014, 07:32:37 AM »

Hi Massimo,

...man is returned as it was.
In what version? What is wrong with him?

This picture is taken from ZAIKA photo at the beginning of this thread and enlarged 300%:

I just realised that those lighter lines on his back and lighter area about his bottom could be leather bag. Or?

Regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:12:31 AM by 66misos » Logged

KL

« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2014, 08:33:04 PM »

Hi Misos,
engine cowling looks like it is made of marble.  It's too clean and artificial - maybe you could add panel lines, rivets etc. + some usual grime, dirt,  etc. (called by modellers "weathering").  There is also an improbable contrast between the "weathered" wing undersides and clean fuselage.  I mean the wing looks more realistic than fuselage.

You should refer to photos on page 1 of this thread  Wink

Otherwise, excellent, considering the poor original b/w photo...

Cheers,
KL
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:42:19 PM by KL » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2014, 07:17:17 AM »

Hi Misos,
probably you are right about the bag, it would justify the discontinuity in the profile of the back.
The problem with the figure is that it is without colors, nearly black. It is on the limit of the shadow of the wing, so the back and one leg arte on light, the other leg and the lower part of the right side are on shadow because of the wing.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2014, 05:05:59 PM »

Hi,
here is another iteration.
That guy could have bag with paper or parachute on his back, I do not know. May be he is another pilot. Anyhow, I made that bag more visible. Something like here:

I checked these planes:

White Il-2. Weathering very little. Only some panel lines are visible on the matt surface.

Silver DC-3/Li-2. No weathering is visible on the shining surface. Only lines of rivets or panel lines are very little visible.

So I added very little visible panel lines on the front fuselage according to the Massimo's drawing, but no weathering except exhaust stains. Ii-2 front fuselage was made from relatively thick armor plates, its surface was more homogen than "wavy" surface of DC-3/Li-2 made from thin material.

KL

« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2014, 06:17:46 PM »

Hi Missos and Massimo,
The "guy" is most likely a pilot and what you are calling a "bag" is a parachute.  With the bag that Misos has now, he looks like a postman...  Grin

The leather coat was most likely a standard prewar black pilots coat

the thin strap is probably map case ("planshet") strap

Again, on page 1 of this tread you can see photos of pilots taken at same or similar time....

HTH,
KL
66misos

« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2014, 10:02:57 AM »

Hi KL,
good point Wink  Postman at the airport, waving at the aircraft... Roll Eyes
And what about guys in your post http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1799.msg14742#msg14742?

They look like pilots, some of them with parachute, others only with little leather bag/case for map, papers etc.
Regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:05:41 AM by 66misos » Logged

KL

« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2014, 07:27:59 PM »

Hi Misos,
let me reword my previous post:

the "guy" is a pilot (or someone dressed in pilots gear?).  You should make him look similar to the pilots on other photos from the page 1 of the thread.

The "bag" is either a parachute or a map "planshet".  Judging by the strap only it is map planshet...
 Smiley

Following photos show parachute and its straps:

So, there are several straps that should be visible and they are not...

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 07:47:53 PM by KL » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: