Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Rareplane(s) I-153
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 12:07:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rareplane(s) I-153  (Read 7209 times)
Ioaea

« on: October 30, 2005, 07:45:13 AM »

Yeah I know I'm starting another thread, all these questions...

However.

Reading Mr. Pilawskii's 'To Build, or Not to Build --Is That The Question? Notes on the I-153 in Plastic in 1:72 Scale' I noticed it doesn't appear to cover the 'only 1000 impressions, it says here' Rareplane(s) I-153, possibly intentionally.

Ebay has its uses, and hiding in a dark corner, unloved, a couple of weeks ago was the Rareplane(s) vacform of this seemingly problematic subject. It saw me, I saw it, we fell in love and now, courtesy of the Royal Mail, we are together at last.

So anyway. I have a lot of RGB and greyscale plans for the I-153, unfortunately none of them in 1/72nd and they don't scale down very well in Photoshop. However, using the high-tech method of holding the entire vac-form sheet a few inches away from the monitor and squinting, there does appear at first glance a more than passing similarity to the plans. The only glaring exception looks to be the topmost part of the cowling which has something of a + 10 or 15 degree angle to it, when sources say it should be more or less horizontal. The bottom and sides of the cowl looks about right as do the wings et cetera.

I love this small yet precocious sheet of plastic already -its dear to my heart. My question is: Anyone had experience with this vac-form? Any pitfalls and/or huge amounts of work to worry about in advance? Advice sought and thank you.

JP
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 01:35:14 PM »

This is what I love most about the internet.? It draws people together over similar interests and you learn some interesting things!? I have a pretty healthy kit collection, and even if I own many, surely I thought I have at least heard of almost every kit out there.? And then I see a question like this, and I ask myself, "What kit is that he's asking about??"

While I can't comment on the kit, let me commend your bravery in taking on a kit of that nature.? I will do many things, but the one thing I really try to avoid is vacform.? In fact, the only vacform I own is the Kazan upgrade set for the 1/48 ERTL/ESCI MiG-27.? And probably by the time I get around to that project, someone will have released an injection plastic kit of it, and the whole $60 will be for nothing!? ?Sad

JP
Ioaea

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 06:48:06 PM »

This is what I love most about the internet.  It draws people together over similar interests and you learn some interesting things!  I have a pretty healthy kit collection, and even if I own many, surely I thought I have at least heard of almost every kit out there.  And then I see a question like this, and I ask myself, "What kit is that he's asking about??"

While I can't comment on the kit, let me commend your bravery in taking on a kit of that nature.  I will do many things, but the one thing I really try to avoid is vacform.  In fact, the only vacform I own is the Kazan upgrade set for the 1/48 ERTL/ESCI MiG-27.  And probably by the time I get around to that project, someone will have released an injection plastic kit of it, and the whole $60 will be for nothing!   Sad

JP

Hi there

I tried a vacform once, in 1/32nd of a Macchi Folgore. I think it ended up as a bizarre hallowe'en mask. So you've not heard of this model? Hmm.

Perhaps I could exchange it for a An-2 somewhere, then. Someone out there would probably do this I-153 more justice than I ever could. I saw a stunning paintscheme for a possible Aeroflot arctic transport Colt, in orange with neat penguins and polar bears painted upon the fuselage.

Oh, and I'm a she. My mother long ago (reliably, as it turns out) informed me that I'm related to Amy Johnson, hence my historical love of biplanes, or, at a pinch ratas and yaks.

Ciao.
JP
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 12:32:03 AM »

A thousand pardons!? ?Shocked? I suppose with only a handful of members to date there really is no excuse for not bothering to check your profile.? However, in my defense, I would argue that your gender is vastly underrepresented in the hobby.

It's an old tale that most male modelers have spouses who at best grudgingly tolerate the hobby and at worst actively work against it.? Mine works up and down that scale.? Finding a female who even knows what a Rata IS, much less one who could and would discuss a Rata, well, that's every henpecked male modelers fantasy!? I hope this doesn't give offense.

I understand the principle behind building vacform, it just seems that the potential for things to go wrong are significantly higher.? I was willing to tolerate vacform for my MiG-27 because it was just modification parts . . . and there was no other way to get a reasonably accurate MiG-27 in 1/48.? I have no doubt that my first attempt at a whole kit would be something only useful as a testbed for an Estes model rocket motor!? The other thing that scares me away from vacform is that often the detail is very soft.

Still, if you love the little thing, and you already have it, you could not but benefit from the experience in some way.? Do you have any pics of the parts you can post or send?

JP

Ioaea

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 04:29:53 AM »

Hi again

Profile probably says 'male'. The beauty of forums, and indeed the net in general, is you 'be' whomsoever you want to be, camouflaged, safe and anonymous if that's what it takes. When I become more familiar with the locals, as it were, I usually spill the beans, and I like it here, there's some serious grey-matter in action, to say the least. : )

You'd be surprised how many women go for hobbies that one wouldn't normally be associated with. Keep your eyes open however, and there we are in THE strangest places, albeit few in number. There's a subsim gaming forum where one notable gal has 'em cowering in their boots and kept well on their toes! Similar stories elsewhere, of course.

So I like aircraft.  My first kit was supposed to be 'Jason', Amy's dH Gipsy Moth, a disaster. Still can't find a modern moulding of a Gipsy Moth out there, as it goes. I just got stuck on aircraft models (and tapestries) when a bit younger and am returning to them for personal reasons.

And I do have this I-153 of which I shall endeavour to get some images of via an antique webcam that lurks hereabouts, this very morning. I guess photobucket can deal with huge images of a gigantic kit like this one *cough*.

(Edited to add:  Looking at the WW1 aircraft modelling site, looks like it's a woman who is making some absolutely magnificent diioramas, judging by the name. Could be wrong, but I'm hoping not. : ) )

: )
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 04:35:29 AM by Ioaea » Logged
Ioaea

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 05:27:12 PM »

Terrible shots, but here's a few. One of the box, such as it is. You can see the cowling is inaccurate from another. Still in plastic wrap, didn't help, but I'm not opening the thing just yet.

Hope to get some better shots today, if I can.
Dark Green Man

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 03:10:45 AM »

I agree with JP
if you have it? build it

the fact that vac kits aren't the norm is probably what puts us off...
it is a different set of skills to build it.

I have the VP LaGG-3 kit and although it is a rare 1/48 scale 5-gun LaGG I still wonder when I'll get around to building it.

(I also have the VP IL-4 , but I might put that in the "sell or trade" category)

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: