Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
I-153 cowling front
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:43:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I-153 cowling front  (Read 6004 times)
marluc

« on: April 17, 2007, 11:08:28 PM »

I?ve seen several pictures of the I-153 Chaika and I noticed that the front cowiling shutters were never complety closed as the I-16 ones,am I right?Said pics are not too clear.If someone can help me with this topic I?ll be very grateful.Thanks in advance:

Martin
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 12:33:02 AM »

This might help - here's a site with over 4000 images of Russian aircraft. These have apparently been picked up from ebay-Germany; the vast majority are of captured/destroyed early GPW VVS planes and are German photos taken during Operation Barbarossa. Working your way through them will take hours, but you'll enjoy yourself! There are many shots of the I-153, but the images are not in any particular order. Somewhere here you may find the photo you're looking for, though!

http://www.avia-n-aero.ru/photo.php

One other thing - new images are being added frequently, and these always go in at the beginning of the pages, so the individual photo identification numbers keep changing. For that reason, if you see any images you like, you should "right-click, 'Save as'", and get them into your own "My Pictures" folder so you don't lose track of them!

John Thompson
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 12:56:52 AM »

I took my own advice, and found some new images of an I-16 that I was interested in! Anyway, if you check the following quickly (before any more images are added to the site), you should see a head-on shot of an I-153, although, as you said, the cooling slots are partially, not fully, closed:

http://www.avia-n-aero.ru/photo.php?category_id=20&parent_id=0&photo_id=4599&countdisplay=&start=40

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 01:40:44 PM »

Hi, Smiley
I've built an I-153 recently, so I had occasion to look at mant photos.
Things look to be so: the front cowling has some openings (1 or 2 or 3 oval ones on its lower part, according to the version, and 2 side ones for guns) that have to be pervious when the shutter is open, overposed to the plate; so, the shutter itself has some holes that become visible when it rotates to close the "regularly spaced" holes on the cowling front.
Massimo
marluc

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 08:46:41 PM »

Thanks for your replies.

John:Thanks a lot for directing me to this superb site.I?m a fan of Polikarpov fighters(specially I-16) and there are plenty of them.I followed your advice and found the Chaika?s pic you mentioned.Thanks again for your help.

Massimo:I agree with you about the shutters.I noticed the openings on the lower part:these are always open in all the pics I have.I?ve seen your I-153 in this site and I think you made a very good job,congratulations.I want to build,in the near future,a 1/48 Chaika with skis in finnish markings and I got to know the position of the shutters in cold weather.Now,with your help,I have a better "view".

See you:Martin
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 09:31:10 PM »

Well, it appears that a hacker is playing some games with the avia-n-aero site, so it might be best to avoid that for a few days, until the owner takes whatever action is needed to drive this creature back to its cave!? Angry

I submitted the avia-n-aero site URL to McAfee for analysis - I have no idea what result this will lead to, but perhaps it will be useful.

John
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 11:31:48 PM by John Thompson » Logged
marluc

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 10:00:14 PM »

You?re right,I downloaded several interesting pictures and I,ll try to get more of them while I can.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: