Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Amodel 1/72 I-16 type 5
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 12:01:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amodel 1/72 I-16 type 5  (Read 9318 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« on: May 08, 2015, 07:44:10 PM »

Amodel I-16 type 5, built as this aircraft of the Baltic Fleet:

I squash-formed an acetate canopy, using the kit canopy (after a lot of cleaning up and polishing) as a master. The landing gear is from the ICM I-16 kit. Prop is one of the two included in the ICM I-15; the spinner is reshaped from the ICM I-15bis. I also used a piece of Eduard photoetch from their I-16 type 28 set which frames the cowling face slots. This is painted aluminum (even though I suspect red, to match the spinner, is more likely to be correct) just because colouring it with a silver Sharpie was easier than trying to paint it neatly with a brush! The "bort number" on the rudder is from Begemot's I-16 super sheet; the red stars are from a generic AML sheet (which needed Microscale decal film, incidentally). Upper colour is Aeromaster Topside Green; lower colour is Xtracolour RLM 76 Lichtblau.

John
learstang

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 07:29:06 AM »

Nice little Ishak, John! I see where Amodel have come out with a UTI-4 that's supposed to be a new-mould. Maybe they'll redo their old tip 5 kit using this new-mould.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 04:51:42 PM »

Hi John,
interesting work, I've the kit still to build and I fear it's an hard work, particularly to find a vacuformed canopy. I fear I'll have to do the same work to mould it.
I'm thinking to cannibalize pieces from an ICM kit that i had for cheap and had a bad canopy.
But'is it necessary to replace the propeller and spinner too?
Regards
Massimo
AC26

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 08:28:58 PM »

Hi John,

Your modifications of the kit have really been worthwile!

I see where Amodel have come out with a UTI-4 that's supposed to be a new-mould. Maybe they'll redo their old tip 5 kit using this new-mould.
I just picked the new UTI a couple of days ago. It is much better than the earlier one but it still have typical Amodel features. It is an early UTI-4 with early type exhaust positions. Especially I like the fabric covered surfaces. On the negative side their is no fin incidence and the instrument panels are though nice more appropriate to a single seater.

Cheers,

AaCee
learstang

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 08:39:46 PM »

Still it's nice to see them come out with a new-mould kit.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
AC26

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 09:31:27 PM »

Still it's nice to see them come out with a new-mould kit.
Hi Jason,

My intention was not to sound negative. It is much better than the earlier one but it still needs some work. Windscreens especially are lower level than the rest of the kit.

In fact I was thinking to use wing from this kit for a tip 10 conversion.

I would be also happy for a new tip 5 from them.

Cheers,

AaCee
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 10:54:11 PM »

Thank you for the comments, everyone! I just assumed that the new UTI-4 t15B (kit no. 72315) was the same as the old UTI-4 from 15 years ago (kit no. 7231), with the addition of the sprue which includes the RS-82 rockets from the type 6 kit (no.72164), but apparently I was wrong. For those of us who don't own the new UTI (yet), HobbyTerra has sprue images which do show this to be a new kit:
http://hobbyterra.com/product/polikarpov-uti-4-t15b-fighter-amodel-72315.html

As AaCee has already mentioned, this looks like it has some conversion possibilities; now I might have to buy a couple of them! Too bad Amodel's prices seem to have gone up so much... Cry

Hi Massimo - the one-piece prop and spinner in the original kit (no. 7207) has a very flat spinner compared to the drawings in Maslov's I-16 book, so I replaced it. Another solution would be to build up the Amodel spinner, of course. Send me a personal message if you want me to do a canopy for you!

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 07:16:40 AM »

Hi John,
very kind of you. If you would even be so kind to send two ones, I could see if I can adapt one to my already built I-17 that has the original, poor canopy.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 06:29:01 PM »

The moulding on that new UTI-4 looks quite nice. I can remember doing the tip 5 several years ago and some of the parts had rather considerable flash. However, I do have to say it cleaned up nicely and I can see the finished model from where I'm typing this in its suitably tiny display case (I built it as a ski-equipped winter-camouflaged version). A new-mould I-153 and now a new-mould I-16 (UTI-4); things are looking up for the Polikarpovs! Now if only someone would do a new-mould Il-4 (I know you're still waiting on your Yak-1, John)!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
TISO

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 11:07:03 PM »

It seems to me that their AMO72314  Polikarpov UTI-4 while marked as re-release is also a new mould. Looks like same mould without bomb& rockets sprue (IMHO looking at a photo of that sprue no big loss):

http://hobbyterra.com/product/polikarpov-uti-4-re-release-1-72-scale-amodel-72314.html

What got me eben more excited than UTI-4 is their new AIR-6 series light planes:
http://hobbyterra.com/product/air-6-light-civil-aircraft-amodel-72306.html

http://hobbyterra.com/product/air-6-soviet-monoplane-on-skis-amodel-72309.html

http://hobbyterra.com/product/air-6-soviet-floatplane-amodel-72312.html
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:14:01 PM by TISO » Logged

Disciple of Error
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: