Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
I-15 rest models 1/48: SCW northern front may 1937
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:32:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I-15 rest models 1/48: SCW northern front may 1937  (Read 13528 times)
xan

« on: June 01, 2014, 11:05:15 PM »

Hi everybody !

The model represent an I-15 in the front North in basque Country in 1937.

This was the situation i 1937:

North Part of Spain who remained with the legal government  was isolated

in front of the condor legion, basque government try to build an air force who was quickly called "the kronn circus". seeing what planes it was, you will easily inderstand this name:
11 Bristol Bulldog II
8 Gourdou-Leseurre GL-32
8 Potez 25
7 cazas Letov S-231 achet? ? l'Estonie.
5 Caudron de divers types.
quelques Breguet Br-XIX, et un Nieuport Ni-52 .
3 Fokker VII B
2 Monospart ST-4
1 De Havilland Dh-84 Dragon Rapide
1 Farman 231 de turismo
1 Vickers Vildebeest
1 Miles M-3 Falcon
1 Miles M-2 Hawk

first I615 came directly from USSR in the port of Bilbao in november of 1936.

un may of 37 25 went from the center zone to the northern zone but it wasn't enough: un summer ther was 15 I-15 able to fly, end when Northern front felt on ly twa I-15 escape to France with an I-16...

The plane is paint according to VVS use in 1936.

it's the rest model resin model, wich is a very beautifull kit.

I build the kit with a friend of mine who made an 1938 I-15 produced in Spain, and paint with 1938 VVS standart

Xan
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:56:33 PM by xan » Logged

learstang

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 08:53:09 PM »

Beautiful model, Xan!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Troy Smith

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:34:59 AM »

lovely job Xan

I have a couple of Rest kits, which are very impressive in the box. 

Is there a build thread anywhere?  I'd suggest editing in a link if you have one. Any problems with the kit? 

Both models look great, and thought's on how they compare... I have a SH I-15 somwhere..... I picked a load of SCW kits recently at a very good price...
[like I need more areas to be interested in!]

one other point, any ideas about the purple,  in a recent thread there was photos of remains of various bits from Spain

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?action=post;quote=14181;topic=1767.15;num_replies=21;sesc=43620792a896f607f56ef5eda2a2c3dc

There is only one known exhibit showing the purple

IS there any other information on the purple colours used?  Or was this was most likely a local mix?

cheers
Troy
xan

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 10:43:33 AM »

Hi Troy!
here is the step by step of the two kits.
http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=80948
SH one has much more work, specialy with the joint of the fuselage and the wing...
For the purple it's the only tail I know, but it seems quite used by the time past...

Xan

KL

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:38:41 PM »

Hi Troy,
somewhat more relevant examples:

Wikipedia is also helpful, check here regarding Spanish Republic flag:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_Second_Spanish_Republic

wikipedia also provides examples:

Purple colour is described as murrey, the colour of mulberries, somewhere between gules (red) and purpure (violet), almost maroon

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:04:40 PM by KL » Logged
Troy Smith

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 04:58:17 PM »

Hi Konstantin

thank you very much for the very helpful reply, and my apologies for such a slow response, I did not have time to respond when I initially read it and then just forgot.

What is of particular note is while the republican flags show a purple colour, your quote
Purple colour is described as murrey, the colour of mulberries, somewhere between gules (red) and purpure (violet), almost maroon

is a very good description of the remaining colour on the rudder photo, which I'd call maroon myself. 

cheers
T
KL

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 02:50:34 AM »

Hi Troy,
a good text about the origins and colours of the Spanish Second republic flag at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_Second_Spanish_Republic
It is explained there that:

La bandera de la Rep?blica espa?ola es roja, amarilla y morada...

Since it is an unusual colour for a flag, in practice the morado colour of the lower band could be violet, purple (purpure) or even lilac, according to the available materials and dyes in each location.

Spanish Morado colour is explained at http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morado

Second Republic flag on that page is probably the closest to the intended "official" flag

Note the difference between the spanish "Morado" and English "Mulberry" at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulberry_%28color%29

Morado  (r, g, b)    (87, 35, 100)
Mulberry (r, g, b)    (197, 75, 140)

Spanish "Morado" is significantly darker!

Anyway, I have seen models and profiles with lemon yellow and medium blue rudders - almost certainly a wrong interpretation...

Cheers,
KL

PS:  following profiles are made by Pilawskii, they have to be wrong  Cheesy

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:53:01 PM by KL » Logged
KL

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 06:15:20 PM »

is a very good description of the remaining colour on the rudder photo, which I'd call maroon myself. 

Hi Troy,
I found it interesting that in different languages the same or similar colour names may have different meaning.

I would describe colour of the Spanish Second Republic as PURPLE.  Pilawskii's profiles display something that I would call VIOLET.
MAROON is a shade of brown - colour of chestnuts.

In addition to this, it's a subjective thing.  Most of us are somewhat colour blind or simply don't know much about out own languages and colours.

Cheers,
KL
Troy Smith

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 07:59:19 PM »

Hi Konstantin

yes, colour naming conventions vary!

Personally, my response would be that Violet is a blued purple, and Maroon is a redded purple.  The flag images you post I'd say were Purple tending to Violet, and i would agree the Pilawskii profiles are Violet.

when I think of Maroon it's the reddish purple variant, I'd not encountered the deep red-brown defintion, that is what i would call Chestnut Brown..

anyway, so I googled it up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroon

Maroon is a dark brownish red color [2] which takes its name from the French word marron, or chestnut.[3] The Oxford English Dictionary describes it as "a brownish crimson or claret color."[4] In the RGB model used to create colors on computer screens and televisions, maroon is created by turning down the brightness of pure red by half.

If you asked me to define Maroon, I'd have said it was one of the colours of Aston Villa football strip, which is what I googled up first!
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Aston_Villa/Aston_Villa.htm

which describes the strip as being 'Maroon' or 'Claret'
"Villa wore new maroon jerseys with a lion rampant emblazoned across their chests" in the 1880-81 seaon.

but
In 1887, the Villa adopted claret and blue for the first time

BUT having just asked most folks would describe the strip as light blue and maroon.   The 2nd pic is the colour I'd think if I was asked 'what colours is maroon'

I have no interest in football, but did feign an interest when i was at school, and was more interested in differing strip colours rather than the game, but I mention this as this is the colours that sprang to mind.

I digress, but personally I would say  'Murrey'  is an excellent definition of the colour seen on the preserved rudder though, pity, I quite liked the purple ones! 
I'm presuming that paint may well have been a mix or was Murrey a commonly used paint at the time?

Anyway, very interesting topic and thanks for providing various links and definitions.

cheers
T

KL

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 09:55:27 PM »

Hi Troy,
interesting, I speek English, but thanks to your posts I have learned that "maroon colour" isn't what I thought.

I would call colour of Aston Villa jerseys BORDO (or Bordeaux) or BURGUNDY.  In my mind chestnut colour is reddish brown...

In Russian, I believe, chestnut (kashtanoviy) is commonly used for hair colour, or for a wood-stain/furniture colour. In general, kashtanoviy isn't used as a name of a pure colour...

Xan can probably explain from first hand what are maroon and Bordeaux colours.  I am suspecting that someone in Britain, long time ago, started to use french word for chestnuts to describe a wine colour....  Roll Eyes

Cheers,
KL
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 08:45:24 AM by KL » Logged
Troy Smith

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 02:29:24 AM »

Thinking about it, 'Burgundy' as a colour description would be more widely under stood for a deep red-purple  than 'Claret'  which was the description of the Aston Villa strip.  But, then defining colours or color is a difficult business,  especially with the amount of synonyms  available in the English language!

About 30 years ago in the UK there was a trend amongst a certain part of the working class men to dress in burgundy trouser and jackets and shoes, with white polo shirts, getting the name 'Burgundy Boys'

Another related colours, which is red heding to black is 'Oxblood', which was a colour I associate with Dr Marten boots, which a quick search turns was what you got if you got 'Cherry Red' DM's and used black boot polish on them...
A style favoured by skinheads....

Though I think later DM did both.  These are described as Oxblood

these are ones called Cherry Red

and some 'gentlemen' modelling the style

final bit of trivia, back in 'the day' the colour of laces was also 'a sign'  red for National Front, White for British Movement,  yellow for anti-nazi league or so my mate told me back then... 

being a poor punk rocker then  I couldn't /wouldn't affords docs and so  wore ex- Bundeswehr surplus, being lot cheaper and better boots too Wink

I think this is getting to be the most 'off topic' thread here?

KL

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 08:39:04 PM »

Hi Troy,
interesting associations!  It looks that red-brown-purple colours had important place in 1980es...

But, then defining colours or color is a difficult business,  especially with the amount of synonyms  available in the English language!

and homonyms too!  I have just realized that MAROONED has nothing in common with MAROON COLOUR!

Speaking of off topcs from 20 years ago:  check the new Marooned video from Pink Floyd - it's good and it has connections with Soviet Union...

http://youtu.be/P7YMI39sObY

Cheers,
KL
xan

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 12:51:38 AM »

In french, rouge bordeaux is that color:

of course it had to see with the wine color...

Konstantin, you didn't tell me what you think about my I-15... Roll Eyes

Xan

KL

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 08:18:11 AM »

Konstantin, you didn't tell me what you think about my I-15... Roll Eyes

I think it's excellent! ...including its "rojo, amarillo y morado" rudder.  Smiley

BTW, what colour is French MAROON? the same as English Aston Villa jerseys, or more brown???
and what is your interpretation of the "morado" color???

Cheers,
KL
xan

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 11:59:37 AM »

In Spanish "morado" means purple.
In french, "marron" means brown.
Do I answer your question?

Xan

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: