Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Photos of MiG-3 fuselage stored in Finnish Museum from
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 03:37:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos of MiG-3 fuselage stored in Finnish Museum from  (Read 20508 times)
AC26

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 10:11:15 PM »

Nice to hear that my photos are helpful. If you have any questions regarding this MiG-3, I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge.
Hi Antti!

Would the tail feathers from Vesivehmaa also added to the Hyryl? display?

Cheers,

AC26
AnttiL

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 10:32:02 PM »

Nice to hear that my photos are helpful. If you have any questions regarding this MiG-3, I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge.
Hi Antti!

Would the tail feathers from Vesivehmaa also added to the Hyryl? display?

Cheers,

AC26

I hope so, it would be best if all the parts were in the same place, than spread out all over.
learstang

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 01:07:47 AM »

Thank you very much for the photographs, Antti! We discuss VVS colours all the time, so it's great to see some well-preserved examples of them. Welcome to the site!

Best Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 07:09:36 AM »

Hi Antti,
welcome here! Your photos of these parts are a major success here.
I've often thought that joining these parts with the metallic ones found in Russia it would be possible to obtain a nearly complete plane for museal exposition.
Regards
Massimo
xan

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 08:36:33 AM »

Hello Antti,
thanks for those wonderfull pics.
for the AIIz if we compare with that piece of I-16 we con see we are in the same shade of colours; perhaps the I-16 piece is more green, better conserved, and the piece seems to be wet....
the I-16 is a type 27 found in 2013 ; 650 type 29 have been produced, 80 of them in 1941, so it can be  AMT-4...

Xan

AnttiL

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 03:50:24 PM »

Thank you!
Personally I haven't done any research considering VVS colours, we have lot to do even with Finnish colours Smiley
It's very interesting and I'm starting to build a MiG-3 scale model, so this information is very welcome.
I'll try to photograph more of russian objects we have in our museum storage, when I have time. We have also original preserved rudder from R-5 and of course a Polikarpov U-2.

Antti
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 06:22:34 PM »

Hi Xan,
I don't think that the color of I-16 or MiG-3 is AMT-4. The MiG was built in early 1941 and painted according to standards of 1940.
The piece of I-16 doesn't show a zinc chromate background, so it's unlikely that it's a nitro paint as AMT-4, else it would have been much more chipped as the green on the lower part of the rudder of the MiG-3.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2014, 08:18:40 PM »

I don't think that the color of I-16 or MiG-3 is AMT-4. The MiG was built in early 1941 and painted according to standards of 1940.
The piece of I-16 doesn't show a zinc chromate background, so it's unlikely that it's a nitro paint as AMT-4

Hi Xan & Massimo,

I agree with Massimo, both MiG-3 and that I-16 are prewar planes painted according to May 1940 camouflage scheme.  Green paint on metal parts is most likely A-19f.   Its colour was 4BO olive green, same as later AMT-4.  The only difference is that A19f was glossy while AMT-4 was flat (matte).  They were probably pigmented with different pigments, but that is not important for modellers.

Regards,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2021, 07:07:33 PM »

Hi all,
I have uploaded some photos of the MiG-3 fuselage preserved in Finland at  http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/mig3/finland.html.
The photos, and some notes, are kindly sent by Antti Kotiranta (Antti_K) and are in the second part of the linked page, after the older ones.
Here is one:

and some notes from him:
The rear fuselage is interesting as it is made out of (possibly) pine tree ribs and bulkheads and covered with plywood, most likely made out of birch tree. Inner surface is then covered with a clear lacquer that is applied with a poor quality brush. And the lacquer wasn’t used sparingly! The coat is very thick; especially in every corner, which make them look orange coloured. Also the brush strokes are visible.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2021, 07:24:22 PM »

Hi,
there is a topic on the preserved pieces of MiG-3 in Finland and the downed plane at
https://www.flightforum.fi/topic/48751-mig-3-punainen-ykk%C3%B6nen/
Information from Tapani Tuomanen.

Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: