Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Wooden wings on single seat IL-2?
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 09:42:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wooden wings on single seat IL-2?  (Read 5763 times)
VelvetFrog66

« on: June 28, 2014, 05:35:01 PM »

Hi.

I'm looking to model "Za Otradnova" and notice that it has wooden wings. For this model I'll be using the 1:48 scale Accurate Miniatures kit which has metal wings. Can I depict the wooden wing simply by filling the panel lines? Avoiding of course the removable panels.
I've studied Massimo's lovely depiction of this aircraft in the IL-2 section but unfortunately the black parts of the camouflage obscure the panel detail so I can't quite get the picture.

Cheers,
Robert
VelvetFrog66

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 06:02:41 PM »

Answering my own question.

Found another of Massimo's profile/plan drawings showing a captured Il-2 with the wooden wing. Luckily this one was painted yellow so the panel lines show up really well. All the information I need to modify the kit's metal wing to the wooden one.

Cheers,
Robert
learstang

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 01:06:20 AM »

Glad you found your answer, Robert. Please do post photographs of your kit as you work on it! Just to answer your question for any one else who's interested, I believe most of the wooden-winged single-seaters would have had the later wing root panel arrangement with the larger bomb bay doors on the top. "Za Otradovna" would have had the later wing root panel arrangement.

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 01:09:23 AM by learstang » Logged

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 04:42:39 PM »

Hi Robert,
Za Otradnova is a very nice choice.
Hi Jason,
do you think that there is something to correct on the panel lines?
Regards
Massimo
VelvetFrog66

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 07:46:28 PM »

Hi Jason and Massimo.

I will try and take some photos as the build progresses. Whether they ever see the light of day depends on how well the build goes. Grin

Yes Massimo, "Za Otradnova" is an attractive scheme but the choice is not particularly inspired on my part. If you want to do a 1:48 single-seat IL-2 that isn't all white it is pretty much the only choice available. Sadly there isn't a lot in the way of after market decals catering to the single seat IL-2 in 1:48.

Regards,
Robert

learstang

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 04:25:53 AM »

Massimo, looking at the drawings of the single-seaters you've provided me, I don't see anything wrong with the panel lines. The wooden-winged versions all seem to have the later larger wing root panels, which is I believe correct. Of course if there were a wooden-winged version built in the middle of 1941, it would have the smaller wing root panels, but I don't think I've seen a photograph of a wooden-winged version that early. All the early single-seaters seem to have the metal wings.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 03:51:22 PM »

Hi Jason,
wooden wings should have been put into production around December 1941- January 1942 in Z.1, and a bit later in Z.30. All right on that point, then.
Regards
Massimo
Troy Smith

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 08:38:58 PM »

Yes Massimo, "Za Otradnova" is an attractive scheme but the choice is not particularly inspired on my part. If you want to do a 1:48 single-seat IL-2 that isn't all white it is pretty much the only choice available. Sadly there isn't a lot in the way of after market decals catering to the single seat IL-2 in 1:48.

Hi Robert

if you have to use aftermarket decals! 

given that many of the schemes are stars and numbers, and there are profiles on here,  it would be pretty easy to make a stencil, or a negative mask to do the numbers

see here for one way - http://agapemodels.com/2013/02/15/techniques-making-negative-masks/

or hand paint onto clear decal film, or just hand paint it, as many were quiet crudely done originally!

eg -

now doing an outlined number would be trickier, but not impossible.   

bearing this in mind, I'd have another look through the profile pages and pick one you fancy, and then test the techniques on a scrap kit

HTH
T

VelvetFrog66

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 08:36:28 PM »

Thanks Troy.

That link to cutting masks was very informative. Seems quite do-able, particularly for the often quite large numbers on the Il-2.
As for the stars, if they don't have an outline masking would be good, maybe even preferable but having to do multiple stencils for the outlined stars would be too challenging for me. At least when it comes to the stars there are decals available.

I have a tentative plan to model a very early IL-2 (like your top picture) after "Za Otradnova" and it's pretty clear I'm going to have to go diy on the tail numbers. Most likely the masking route as whenever I try hand painting the paint always looks lumpy.

Thanks again,
Robert
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: