Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Best way to build a Yak-9M in 1/72
Sovietwarplanes
April 24, 2024, 08:25:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to build a Yak-9M in 1/72  (Read 7549 times)
DaveFleming

« on: August 07, 2014, 12:14:27 PM »

Hi all,

I'm looking to build a Yak-9M in 1/72 (Specifically, I want to build the one that was used by the RAF in Italy*). It's been many years since I built a Soviet aircraft (A series of Yaks, 1 to 23, based on existing kits back in the 80s, and yes there were some green/brown ones! :-)) and obviously knowledge has moved on, especially with regards to the various sub-variants! To be honest I'm not even sure of the progression of the mark nos.

So as a relative novice what's the best way to get a 'good' Yak-9M? I have a Dakoplast kit 9D kit, which I believe was the best of those available, but obviously the M has the cockpit moved back.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

*This has been on my radar for many years - EP has a page on it here(Hard hat on! :-)) http://www.redbanner.co.uk/History/Archive/JStorrar/Storrar_Yak.html ad I helped Santiago and Raul with their search for photos - now it's my turn!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23294-yak-9-in-british-markings/
http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?86095-Yak-9-in-British-Markings

I do actually have a couple of unpublished photos showing it meeting it's fiery end, but i can't remember who sent them to me!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:19:56 PM by DaveFleming » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 01:47:42 PM »

Hi Dave,
I was told that Dakoplast produced a Yak-9M too, but I have never seen it.
I wonder if it really existed and was eventually reboxed.
Regards
Massimo
Troy Smith

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 05:04:36 PM »

Hi Dave

the chap you want is John Thompson, [also on BM too] as he is the 72nd scale chap.  I think the short is if you want a decent Yak-9 then a fair amount work is needed, in any scale!

cheers
T
DaveFleming

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 12:13:59 AM »

I've seen JOhn post about Yaks on 72nd aircraft as well - I'll see if I can catch up with him!
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 02:32:41 AM »

Thanks for the kind words; I believe the kit you want is the Dakoplast (or Modelist, or Eastern Express) Yak-9T. This kit could be built as a Yak-9M without significant alteration. The ICM/Encore/Alanger Yak-9 kit includes two fuselages (Yak-9/Yak-9D and Yak-9T) but is not as accurate or as neatly detailed as the Dakoplast kit; however, if all else fails, it does give you an alternative to the Dako kit.

John
Dark Green Man

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 02:34:51 AM »

I don't recall Dakoplast ever releasing a Yak-9M.
however, the T,K,DD kit (may also be available under the Modelist name and maybe even Eastern Express)
can be used with a few slight mods: round off the wingtip slightly and either make the spinner slightly more rounded (like a Yak-1b) or steal a good spinner and prop from a Yak-3
the Yak-9M used the same engine,propeller and spinner as the Yak-3  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 02:36:47 AM by Dark Green Man » Logged

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 03:35:09 AM »

For anyone who's interested, drawings of the Yak-9 in its M-105-powered versions, from "Yak-9 - Soldier of the Sky" by Dimitriy Liepnick, are posted here:
http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/yak9-1.html

John
learstang

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 04:15:57 AM »

I actually have the ICM Yak-9M kit, and whatever its accuracy, it builds up easily enough and looks like a Yak to me. I intend on finishing mine as the insanely-overarmed Yak-9K with the 45mm cannon in the spinner. By the way, a Yak with a 57mm was tested, but that almost shook the aeroplane to pieces when it was fired.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 10:34:51 PM »

Not the ICM Yak-9M or Yak-9T, but it's the same kit, using the alternate fuselage - here's my ICM (Alanger) Yak-9D:

At the very least, the kit needs a replacement canopy - the one that's included is much too shallow. I don't remember everything else I did to it, but the list included filling in to reduce the overdone rib and fabric detail on the fuselage and control surfaces, reshaping of the oil cooler housing and intake, reshaping of the radiator housing, opening up the wing root intakes, and probably a few more things. No, you don't have to do all that, except for the canopy. It depends on how badly you want it to be accurate - mine's no masterpiece, but it's as good as I had the patience to make it. Let's say it's a better starting point than the Airfix 1/72 Yak-9, but not as good as the Dakoplast one.

I used Akan acrylic paints and decals from the Encore version of the kit.

Dakoplast Yak-9T for comparison:

Akan acrylics; PrintScale decals.

John

learstang

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 04:41:59 AM »

Nice job on the Yak's, John, and I agree with you on the canopy; much too shallow. I've replaced mine with a canopy from Falcon, I believe.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 10:56:21 PM »

Hi,
my Yak-9 of ICM had another defect: the wheel bays were too close to the leading edge, and were cut straight close to it, so their shape was different from that of the relative doors. Not easy to correct without moving back the whole bay.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 01:11:57 AM »

Hi,
my Yak-9 of ICM had another defect: the wheel bays were too close to the leading edge, and were cut straight close to it, so their shape was different from that of the relative doors. Not easy to correct without moving back the whole bay.
Regards
Massimo

Yes, that's another error in the kit that I had forgotten about, probably because it would have been such a hassle to correct it that I didn't even bother to try.

Jason - Thanks for the kind remark about my Yaks!

John
DaveFleming

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 01:23:00 AM »

Thanks guys - plenty food for thought!

dave
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: