Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Il-2m3 "25" Mstitel
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:54:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Il-2m3 "25" Mstitel  (Read 28653 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« on: September 15, 2014, 06:23:20 PM »

Hi,
I started new picture - well known Il-2m3 Mstitel (Avenger). Photo is quite noisy, so we will see.

Massimo, I hope you do not mind if I use you profile from http://www.mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/il-2/il2-camo/il-2m3/il2m3-camo.htm as a refference:

Regards,
    66misos

learstang

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 02:51:55 AM »

Excellent choice, 66misos! For me, the Il-2 is always an excellent choice.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 06:56:48 AM »

Hi Misos,
of course you can.
This is a beautiful photo, I would just know why all the planes on the background are so dark and with few markings.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 06:41:32 AM »

Hi,
here is a little progress today - the first plane is roughly done:

Comments are welcome.

regards,
    66misos
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 10:28:24 AM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 07:08:28 AM »

Hi Misos,
looks good. I think to remember that there was a grey blotch on the rear part of the wing, but I can't see it on your drawing.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 10:34:23 AM »

Hi Massimo,
I slightly reworked that picture, added dark grey blotch on the wing, wing gun and replaced picture above. It is more-less done.
Next step are additional planes.
Regards,
   66misos

learstang

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 05:39:32 PM »

Very nice, 66misos - I look forward to the finished picture!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 08:06:06 PM »

Gray blotch on the wing should be actually light gray.  Wing is more or less horizontal and in this photo it reflects more light than any other surface of the plane.  All colours on the wing should be lighter or "bleached" (more transparent) than those on Massimo's profile.  There may be some glare on the wing too (probably closer to wing tip)
Regards,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 08:41:12 PM »

Hi Konstantin,
these colorization works are usually made preserving the darkness of the original bw photo, acting only on hue and saturation. If one starts to alter the darkness of a surface, it is no longer a colorization, but a painting. So, if glare doesn't appear on the bw photo, adding it would be arbitrary.
Of course, it can be that lights and shadows can have different hues (for example, shadows on the lower surface could receive yellowish or greenish light from the ground, shadows on uppersurfaces can receive more blue light from the sky, gloss surfaces can reflect the blue-grey of the sky etc).
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 11:35:09 PM »

Hi Massimo,
thick black line which represents dark gray blotch, doesn't exist on the original b/w photo.  So, it's already arbitrary painting.
Regards,
KL 
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 07:02:01 AM »

Hi Konstantin, hi Misos
I suggest to paint it grey without changing the darkness of the original photo.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 10:27:56 AM »

Hi,
I made that grey blotch lighter. If adjusting only hue/saturation, it will disappear in the green, it is very thin due to perspective, so I added also bit of dark.
I started additional plane. This one is more painting than colorizing, because the original is very dark, almost black. And I want to show camouflage colors at least partially, so I used a bit if Artistic licence.

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 05:35:45 PM »

Hi Misos,
I see. I'm still wondering why those planes are so dark and uniform.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 06:19:31 PM »

Hi Misos,
your colorized photo is already OK, but my monitor displays your AMT-1 somewhat too brownish or too pinkish and possibly too light if compared with AMT-4.  IMHO, there is some room for improvement!  Wink
I mean, it would be interesting to experiment a little and use for AMT-1 a color which is somewhere between those two GOST chips kindly supplied by Averin:

Since the time when Massimo posted these chips, I got the information about the difference between the left and right chip:  left chip is glossy and the right chip is flat (matte).  So, for AMT-1 the right pair of chips should be more relevant... the problem with the lower right chip is that more than half of the surface is covered in light bluish-gray reflection (ignore those areas).

I hope it's not too late or too hard to do.  Smiley

Regards,
KL

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 06:33:07 PM by KL » Logged
66misos

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 11:26:26 AM »

...I'm still wondering why those planes are so dark and uniform...

Massimo, I am confused too. I have read that this image is retouched photo-montage.

This is from http://waralbum.ru/5912/:
"IL- 2 with board number 25 "Avenger" was built with funds of the chairman of the collective farm "Stalin" in Avdalar Kotayk region of the Armenian SSR Grigor Ayrapetovich Tevosyan, whose two brothers died in the war. He donated 100 000 rubles for the acquisition of military aircraft.
Nelson G. Stepanyan ( 1913-1944 ), Hero of the Soviet Union and also an Armenian flew in this IL-2. During the War Stepanian has made 239 successful sorties, personally and in group destroyed 53 the enemy vessels. He was killed in action 14 December 1944 near the city of Liepaja in Latvia. Posthumously in March 6, 1945 re-awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union.
Time of the photo: 1944"

This is from very interesting discussion about this plane and whole photo at http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=705.msg13513#msg13513
"...this was 567 shap Il-2.  For its distinguished role played during the Berlin operation, regiment was actually named 567th "Berlin" ground attack air regiment.
567th shap was part of  198th shad, which was part of the 6th shak.
6th shak was part of the 16th VA (16th Air Army)... Mstitel?s pilot was squadron commander V. Bondarenko... Berlin, May 1, 1945."

and there is a profile of plane with the different grey and green fields on the rear fuselage and tail:

...it would be interesting to experiment a little and use for AMT-1 a color which is somewhere between those two GOST chips kindly supplied by Averin...
I hope it's not too late or too hard to do.  Smiley

KL, there is never too late to improve picture.Wink I have every color or detail in the separate layer, so it is quite easy to "address" that color/detail. More difficult is to get right hue/saturation on the monitor.
Do you have, please, such refference chips also for green AMT-4?

So let's play with AMT-1 and/or A-21m. I made a mix of all 4 samples in PS and tried to apply to Il-2:

Thanx for comments and help.
Regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 02:55:14 PM by 66misos » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: