Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Variability in standard camo schemes
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 09:53:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Variability in standard camo schemes  (Read 12595 times)
KL

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 06:44:05 PM »

Variability in standard VVS schemes is an interesting subject.  Variability was actually required and that is why there are many variations in 1941 black+green scheme and why 1943 3-colour schemes have been issued in 2 versions.  Same with 1944 2-gray schemes, all had two versions (for the sake of variability).

But, I thought that this was about "standard vs. non-standard"...  those 1942 "snake/serpent/wavy" Yaks have nothing to do with 1943 NKAP standard scheme.  Stepanyans Il-2 or those Poltava Yak-9s are clearly repainted in the field and they are clearly "non-standard".
I would actually suggest topics named "Non-standard schemes 1939-41" and "Non-standard schemes 1943-45".  As Massimo has mentioned, "serpent/wavy/arch" Yaks are already covered.

Regards,
KL
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:48:24 PM by KL » Logged
KL

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »

Example for variability in standard 1943 NKAP camouflage scheme:

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 08:29:51 PM »

Hi Konstantin,
you could open these topics and show some photos.
I've some already known  uploaded here http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/colors/colors.html
We can find a lot of photos of non standard camos between 1939 and 1943, but I know very few images after 1943, apart for some fighters with grey uppersurface and some with grey repainting over faded color that are visually similar to 3-greys camos.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 08:43:02 PM »

Hi Konstantin,
Example for variability in standard 1943 NKAP camouflage scheme:
yes, they suggested two patterns to avoid repetitivity.
Anyway, about Il-2s,  there was some variation both from plane to plane, both from factory to factory, in facts it's often possible to distinguish the factory that produced an Il-2 by observing some characteristics of the camouflage.
For example, Il-2s produced in Z.1 according to the variant n.1 had very sharp and contrasted camo on the rear fuselage and wings. Those of Z.30 had a more blurried camo with simplified forms, and the bands on the wings were more or less parallel to the flight axis. Those of Z.30 had a more variable camo, often recognizable for a brown rudder.
Some planes have still an uncertain identification, could be planes of Z.30 or planes of Z.1 with the variant n.2 of the pattern, more blurried as the planes of Z.30.  Lots of photos at http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/il-2/il-2.htm
I've not made deep researches on Yaks till now, so at present time I don't know if the factory that built them is recognizable from the pattern.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 09:02:28 PM »

yes, they suggested two patterns to avoid repetitivity.
Anyway, about Il-2s,  there was some variation both from plane to plane, both from factory to factory, in facts it's often possible to distinguish the factory that produced an Il-2 by observing some characteristics of the camouflage.

Well, Pilawskii says that schemes were "suggested" and factories never followed suggestions.  In reality VVS required 3-colour camouflage schemes and NKAP ordered factories to paint planes according to their standards.

Your Il-2 camouflage analysis is impressive, but I would always rely more on constructive differences to determine in which factory an individual plane was built.  "Blured" camouflage doesn't seem to be something related to a particular factory. BTW a photo can be blurred, not camouflage.

regards,
KL

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: