Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Photos of GPW lifejackets??
Sovietwarplanes
April 19, 2024, 03:37:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos of GPW lifejackets??  (Read 5952 times)
huevans

« on: May 14, 2007, 11:53:14 PM »

Can anyone provide me with scans or links of photos of pilots' lifejackets for the GPW period?

The info is necessary to do some pilot skins for the Il-2 game.
FPSOlkor

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 06:38:11 PM »

Looking through site helps sometimes...
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/pilots/tikhomirov/tikhomirov6.htm
Last Photo.
huevans

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 02:19:23 AM »

Oops...... Thanks. That's not bad. Appreciate your help.
FPSOlkor

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 10:04:44 AM »

Note 2 different types of life jackets. There also were available red jackets, but i can't recall seeing them on photos, only mentioned in books...
huevans

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 12:21:29 AM »

I've sent the photo on to Elephant who's kindly doing the skins at my request. I've noticed darker lifejackets in photos in Black Cross, Red Star, but I assumed those were dark blue (typical Navy colour). Elephant thought they might be olive green and that the Soviet life jacket was probably a copy of the early Luftwaffe olive green item.

Maybe they were actually red.
FPSOlkor

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 11:19:04 AM »

I also found a mentioning of brown LJ, but only once. Some trophy LJ were used in VVS KA units operating at sea. VVS VMF had standart LJ's supply.
huevans

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 04:29:48 AM »

I gave Elephant the url of this thread. He's far better informed than I am. His info is that the VVS did use lj's which were either a copy of, or war booty early luftwaffe models in brick red, (which could be described as either brown or red, I guess). He hasn't been able to get colour close-up photos of lj's to date.

KA and VMF are terms I'm not familiar with. I know the standard fleet abbreviations, such as KBF, ChF and SF.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 04:39:14 AM by huevans » Logged
FPSOlkor

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 10:44:47 AM »

VMF stands for voenno-morskoy flot (Navy), which was divided into SF, BF, ChF, KF (very rarely mentioned, and since had no aviation is of no interest to us) and TOF.

KA stands for Krasnaya Armiya - Red Army.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: