Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Why the VVS?
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 12:44:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the VVS?  (Read 19159 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 08:34:12 PM »

Apart from admiration for the men and women of the VVS who fought so bravely against great obstacles during the GPW, I would say that Russian aircraft of this period are the most attractive and interestingly camouflaged and marked of *all* airforces.

Because of this, I suggest that the question to kit manufacturers and producers of decals, books, and accessories is, "Why NOT the VVS?". Many people in this thread have commented on the many kits, etc., available for the Mustang, Bf-109, and other types. If it were not for such manufacturers as Amodel, ICM, and Dakoplast (gone, but not forgotten), modelbuilders would have almost nothing in 1/72 scale.

John Thompson
Jet

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 01:26:22 PM »

On a personal note - a few years ago I was working in the former Eastern block and met a lovely lady who became my wife. on subsequent visits I became 'switched on' to Soviet history and particularly the Great Patriotic War. I became to realise that every other theatre of World War 2 was a side-show in comparison. Yet we in the 'West' still no very little about this conflict. We still know little about the people, places and history...

My situation is similar. My wife and stepson are from a small town just outside Nizhniy Novgorod. I never knew too much about Soviet avaition during the GPW years but my father-in-law took me to the Chkalov museum (just north of Gorodets) 3 1/2 years ago, and I was hooked  Grin. This region has played such a huge role in the development of VVS fighters over the past 90 years that I had to learn more. Now that my stepson is old enough to start working on these models  too, we start a new history lesson each time we go to the local hobby shop and purchase a kit, it's immensely interesting for both of us. We are truly lucky to have a shop that has a LOT of Soviet stuff in stock, all the time, and a website like this one to use as a point of reference!

Therefore we should all endeavour to do justice to the Russian-speaking World, culture & history (not excluding Ukrainian, Kazak, etc, etc...). We can enjoy our modelling hobby and forge friendship and understanding - east to west, and back again.

I completely agree! When I was growing up in Pennsylvania, we were basically taught in school "USSR is a bad place and you don't want to go there". They were wrong! I advise anyone who has the opportunity to visit - GO! Above the rich history and culture, the people are some of the warmest, most hospitable I have ever met, anywhere in the world...
bbrought

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 07:18:28 AM »

Jet

I have a very similar story, but what caught my attention is that the lovely woman I've been married to for the last five years is also from a small town near Nizhniy Novgorod. We must have had some very similar experiences in our visits to Russia!

My interest in the VVS came a little differently. I am an aeronautical engineer and have been fascinated by aviation my entire life - in fact my parents say that when I was around 2 years old they quickly noticed that unlike other boys I shunned the little cast metal cars they bought me but that I would play with the toy airplanes until only small pieces were left. So I got into modeling at about age 5 - begging my dad to let me have plastic kits and later balsa kits and finally R/C kits even before I reached the recommended age on the box!

Forward many years, and while I was studying towards my PhD in the United States (I am from South Africa and returned to South Africa after my studies), I used to have a few regular email friends - I guess the modern version of pen-pals. One was a girl from Russia with whom I regularly discussed politics and cultures, etc. At around that time, a computer game called IL-2 Sturmovik was under development, and I would often discuss development issues with the developer, a guy called Oleg Maddox. Many people said the game would not be successful due to its Eastern Front setting, but I was intrigued by this one area of WWII aviation about which I knew very little. The game actually became very popular, but that's another story. The fact is, I got so intrigued that I started getting the itch to visit Russia and see the place for myself. Since I sort-of knew someone from there, I asked her if it would be possible to stay with them for a few days as I travelled through the country. Realising I couldn't speak much Russian, she quickly said traveling through Russia by myself would not be a good idea, but she offered to let me stay with them for the entire time (I can just imagine what her parents must have said about that idea). Well, soon after meeting this girl in real life, my interest in Russia became much more specific as an interest in a particular Russian...

Since then, I have visited and traveled through Russia on many occasions and my modeling have acquired a distinct Soviet WWII flavour, although I still do the odd Spitfire or Bf-109. My library on WWII history and aviation has also become quite lopsided and the great majority of it is now Soviet material. Besides the aviation, I have also become a big fan of David Glantz's books on WWII history, among others.

BA Broughton
FPSOlkor

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 06:01:40 PM »

Strange... I am Russian, but had quite an unpleasant experience from RSA, Jo-burg to be exact... I almost got married there, but Allah saved me from this move... And right in the nick of time. If you'll ever plan to come to St-Petersburg, let me know and i'll show you around. If i'll bee in the city, that is...
bbrought

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 06:49:29 PM »

Strange... I am Russian, but had quite an unpleasant experience from RSA, Jo-burg to be exact... I almost got married there, but Allah saved me from this move... And right in the nick of time. If you'll ever plan to come to St-Petersburg, let me know and i'll show you around. If i'll bee in the city, that is...

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. SA has gone through a bad time in the 90s, especially in terms of crime. Now it feels like it is improving slowly, but it is still a big challenge for the government and nation as a whole. My experience here has been very positive though, I grew up in SA (Krugersdorp then Pretoria), went to the USA for 5 years to complete my PhD and then returned to SA - never regretted my return for a second. My wife also loves it here and I must say the country has been very good to us - we both have really good jobs and live very comfortably. I also enjoy the fact that it feels like both of us really are making a contribution to the future of the country. Mind you, I enjoyed living in the USA very much, but once you have Africa in your blood...

Thanks for the invitation - I spent a week in St Petersburg in winter 2005/06; one of the loveliest cities I have ever had the pleasure to visit. One week was not nearly enough to visit all the places I wanted to see though. Next time I would like to go in summer so I can see all those palace gardens in their full beauty!

Cheers,
Bennie

BA Broughton
Jet

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 02:14:40 AM »

Jet

I have a very similar story, but what caught my attention is that the lovely woman I've been married to for the last five years is also from a small town near Nizhniy Novgorod. We must have had some very similar experiences in our visits to Russia!

Probably so! Liliya (my wife) is from Balakhna, roughly halfway between N. Novgorod and Gorodets (traveling north along the Volga). How about those passport control agents at N.N. airport?  Grin LOL
Funny you mention Il-2 as Lil was a great help with some 3-D modelling I did for Operation Flashpoint even before "Breathe" was released to the mod community. I have corresponded infrequently w/ Oleg, a fine gentleman!
FPSOlkor

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2007, 04:14:58 PM »

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. SA has gone through a bad time in the 90s, especially in terms of crime. Now it feels like it is improving slowly, but it is still a big challenge for the government and nation as a whole. My experience here has been very positive though, I grew up in SA (Krugersdorp then Pretoria), went to the USA for 5 years to complete my PhD and then returned to SA - never regretted my return for a second. My wife also loves it here and I must say the country has been very good to us - we both have really good jobs and live very comfortably. I also enjoy the fact that it feels like both of us really are making a contribution to the future of the country. Mind you, I enjoyed living in the USA very much, but once you have Africa in your blood...

Thanks for the invitation - I spent a week in St Petersburg in winter 2005/06; one of the loveliest cities I have ever had the pleasure to visit. One week was not nearly enough to visit all the places I wanted to see though. Next time I would like to go in summer so I can see all those palace gardens in their full beauty!

Cheers,
Bennie

Yes, I really liked RSA as a country, but croocks spoilled the picture... What is also unpleasant? it's the absence of direct flights - I had to go through KLM or AF (KLM seems to be better). I spent 2 years in GB and love the country, while I completely dislike the USA, where I spent a year... Currently I'm finishing my PhD...

If You will be willing to come to my city, my e-mail is in the interview section. And have you seen the I-16 in the Naval museum?
noes

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 02:08:52 PM »

... my turn ...
Why VVS ?!  I'm Bulgarian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgaria, and our Liberation Day passed not long ago ( 3rd of March). The russian soldiers gave their lives for our freedom in the Russo-Turkish War (1877?1878) and this is the reason for most of us to be grateful to the people of Russia. Neither The Russian Empire nor the Soviet Union. Besides this is not the whole and only reason. I see some people here married russian girls, so they've had the possibility to get known with the "russian soul" from a short distance. It's amazing how these people have done enough great stuff despite the suffering and the cruel fate.
 I got into this forum while I was looking for some info on MiG-3, which IMHO is the most beautiful plane of the WWII era. It doesn't matter that it was not such a "success" like the Yak-s and the La-s this plane simply manifests speed and power.

... there's a lot more, but I dont like long posts  Smiley
huevans

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 02:58:38 PM »

Why the VVS? I've always been a history buff and I've always been attracted by topics which are off the beaten track and difficult to understand. This pretty much describes the Eastern Front as far as materials available to westerners is concerned. I agree that the Eastern Front makes the rest of WW2 look like a side show and the immense scale of the conflict is fascinating in itself. And the story of the Soviet Union and its people teetering on the brink of disaster for two years and then climbing back to first parity and then dominance is compelling.

Plus, I have a Ukrainian girlfriend.
FPSOlkor

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 07:23:09 PM »

Dam! After reading this posts someone may think that you can't date ex-USSR girls without building a model of VVS planes...
huevans

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 03:17:21 AM »

Curious: Why do you like Britain and dislike the USA?? I grew up in Great Britain, live in Canada and have close relatives in the USA.
FPSOlkor

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2007, 03:42:15 AM »

Just because would be the easiest and most complete answer. Why do you love one woman, but not another?
lape2002

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2007, 04:36:35 AM »

As an ex-Luftwaffe buff, I very recently turned over to VVS subjects. While I always loved modern russian jets like the MiG-29. MiG-31, Su-27 etc. which I still build in 1/48, I had fascination towards German subjects since my childhood. Well few years ago when my apetite for Luftwaffe models was getting close to well satisfied, I turned on to my other appreciated subjects like Japanese, Italian, French, anything that has elaborate camouflage or colorful markings.  Few months ago I purchased a Dako Yak-9d with the cool artwork and I couldn't avoid to compare that Yak with the MiG-29, sleek looking two-toned grey bird. I managed to purchase several VVS kit from that seller on ebay and there I am now with a new love for that airforce that courageously fought against overwhelming odds.

The best aspect of interest in the VVS is of course the inherent lack of exposure, knowledge that is slowly coming to light, thrilling new sides that make the Soviet air force of that period look less black and white than what years of cold war obscurantism showed us. I remember seeing the La-5 or Il-2 as plain uncolored aircraft with numbers as markings. Now all has changed, I can affirm with security that VVS subjects have some of the most colorful specimens in WW2 aviation history, in par sometimes with their Italian counterparts. Another nice aspect in the modelling theme is the fact that most VVS subjects are no shake N bake kits like US or Japanese subjects are. One has to research troughly, modify, compare with pictures, etc. which in many way makes it all worthwhile as true replica modelling goes. 
Finally, in the matter of aesthetics, I would say most VVS subjects are somewhat unique in the way the designs combine elegant sleekness with rustic apperance which make them so pleasing to the eye.
Dave

guaranteed varnished nutcase

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2007, 06:48:30 PM »

Hi,
I agree about Yakovlev and Polikarpov, the I-185 was not a failure at all, and ITP too was obstacled by the ministry, for what I read. It would be interesting to know how an hypotheric operative I-180 would be, certainly it killed many test pilots, but it was well developed at the time of its suppression, differently from other types.
Massimo

I ordered the I-185 from aviapress.com, but as usual it takes months even years to be dispatched. Would you know anything of the Maquette kit? It may well be the same as the Eastern Express, but regarding the lack of opinion on either I opted for maquette.

Dave Cool
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2007, 12:00:36 AM »

Hi, Smiley
I think that it's the same mould, a poor one. I've built it a lot of years ago.
It requires a lot of work and a decision on which prototype has to be reproduced. It's similar to the prototype with M-82 engine, but it should be increased in total length. The final prototype should have a wider diameter cowling.
A lot of excellent drawings and photos do exist on this plane, but I had only a pair of photos when I built my one.
Massimo
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: