Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Why didn't the VVS copy German and British engine technology?
Sovietwarplanes
April 28, 2024, 11:08:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why didn't the VVS copy German and British engine technology?  (Read 3708 times)
huevans

« on: May 21, 2007, 03:36:24 PM »

Technically, 1 of the persistent problems in Soviet a/c design in the GPW was the development of reliable, competitive high-powered engines. The VVS used the M-105 in various forms right up until the end of the war and had considerable difficulty in developing the VK-107 to replace it.

By 1943, the Germans and British were already mass-producing inline engines with considerably more HP than the M-105 for their Sptifire and Bf-109 a/c.

Why didn't the Russians simply copy the latest Rolls Royce and Daimler Benz models and give up on independent development of their own native engine designs???
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 09:56:04 PM »

Hi, Smiley
I don't know it for sure, but I think that the superiority of British engines was partially due to the better fuel that allowed an higher compression rate.
About Daimler-Benz: I think that they required a lot of care to be built.
Massimo
Dave

guaranteed varnished nutcase

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 01:17:33 PM »

I don't know but Germany was cooking up new modern engines well before WWII, while Russia was still messing around with radials etc. I guess it's no the sort of know-how that can be learned over such short periods. As for copying Brit/Amercan designs, i think that would have made a lot of sense, so it baffles as to why not.

It was a real shame that us Brits gave them a leg up into the jet age, with that RR Nene! Embarrassed

Dave.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: