Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Mig 3 Colours
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 02:28:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mig 3 Colours  (Read 7494 times)
Spitfire

« on: November 07, 2014, 03:42:02 PM »

Gents,
        My Trumpeter 1/32 scale Mig-3 has been gathering dust in the loft for years now, it is about time that it got built, I bought some Montex Paint masks to build this subject http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/zarodinu.html.
Would I be correct in assuming that the aircraft in question would be painted with AII paints ? or would later AMT paints be correct ? or a mixture ?

Cheers

Dennis
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 04:55:45 PM »

Hi Dennis,
I would go with AMT paints on the upper surface, and AII light blue on the undersurface.
Please note that the doors of the tail wheel of this plane should be modified into the early type, with a window for the retracted wheel instead of a bulge.
Regards
Massimo
Spitfire

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 05:15:38 PM »

Thanks Massimo, AMT-4/AMT-6 topside and AII blue for the undersides it will be.

Cheers

Dennis
learstang

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 05:46:31 PM »

That is a sharp-looking aeroplane! Do please post some piccies of the model, Dennis.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 06:23:38 PM »

Hi Massimo,
really green AMT-4?
That MiG was abandoned/photographed in autumn 1941, e.g. only couple of months after war beginning. Wheel door is early type. Missing paint at the wing root shows on relatively old/used aircraft.
Based on that info I would say that it is prewar MiG-3 with upper surfaces in original All green, with red stars on upperwings repainted with All green or AMT-4 plus black fields added. Huh
Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 07:19:18 PM »

Hi Misos,
I don't think that it was originally painted with the prewar scheme. In first place it has the late style cowling, and no any example of this variant has ever been documented with the prewar livery. Then, the prewar livery shows strong difference in the shades of green between metal and wooden parts, but I can't see this on the photos. At the end, the finish is matt while AII colors are glossy. Yes, the plane could be weathered, but one should still se the difference between a gloss green and the black that had to be almost certainly matt.
Regards
Massimo
Spitfire

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 08:34:23 PM »

Another question, in the photos the Red Stars look as if they are plain with no outline to me or am I getting it wrong ?

Cheers

Den

And yes Jason I will post some photos if I don't mess it up !
learstang

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 12:19:25 AM »

I'll doubt that you'll mess it up, Den - I remember that nice job you did with the resin Yak.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 06:28:35 AM »

Hi Den, hi Jason,

unfortunately the photos don't allow to understand by sure if there was an outline. I think to see it in a small part, but it could also be an artifact due to jpg compression.

Regards
Massimo
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 12:22:40 PM »

Massimo,
I see dark outline of the fuselage star on both pictures, here:

and here:

jpg artifacts are one option, but they are typical for high contrast areas - I would expected them more on "ZA RODINU" letters, but nothing is there.
Anyhow, black outline on red stars was pre-war style as well as red stars on the upper wings and fuselage, but no on the tail.
Here:

the tail star looks differently from from the fuselage star, look like star added lately in the field.
Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 05:37:28 AM »

Hi Misos, so it's likely that black outlines were on this plane. They weren't rare during the war too, there are photos of Yaks and MiGs with them.
Perhaps they were a standard for some factories; if so, one could suspect that all MiGs had them, no matter if they are visible on photos or not. Unfortunately this idea can't be easily demonstrated.
Regards
Massimo
Spitfire

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 11:44:07 AM »

Thanks for the input guys, looks like black outlines then

Cheers

Dennis
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: