Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/48 LaGG-3 "Galchenko" with Klimov engine (ICM kit and Zvezda engine.)
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 12:56:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/48 LaGG-3 "Galchenko" with Klimov engine (ICM kit and Zvezda engine.)  (Read 11798 times)
4bogreen

« on: November 09, 2014, 09:31:22 PM »

The Lavochkin La-5f advendure has come to an end. Now its time to move on to the next victim, the LaGG-3.

ICM kit...

Its the 1/48 ICM kit 48091 of the LaGG-3. This kit portrayed the first four series of the LaGG-3 and in particulair Galchenko's plane. Some of the detail is oke, but some are a bit disapointing. I think i got a socalled "mondaymorning" type, because the detail differs so much and one of the hull parts are warped. The left hull detail is quite oke, but the right part is horrible. It looks like if the pressure while injecting the plastic, was less when making the left part. I have my fair share of scratchbuilding so i don't mind it that much, and i can fix it. Never the less, its not a nice discovery when you open up the box...

Vector cockpit...

Although Vector resin also makes two resin LaGG-3's, they made a resin cockpit for the ICM kit. This is done very nice. I only have a bit the idea that the wall parts are a bit curved...

Eduard PE set...

The Eduard PE set is exelent. If you upgrade your aircraft, Eduard PE is the first thing you go to. I have (almost not)seen a plane without Eduard upgrades.

Zvezda klimov engine...

The engine i will use, comes from the Zvezda Yak-3. This kit is buildable with or without the engine. I want to build the Yak without the engine, so i can use this for the LaGG-3. The engine is a true masterpiece. Zvezda outdid itselfs with a kit and engine, for the price under the ICM LaGG. The engine used in the LaGG is virtually the same as in the Yak. The engine struts, frame and panels i have to build myself (yes, were going a level further in aicraftbuilding).

Pavla canopy and True Detail wheels...

I bought also a nice canopy from Pavla. Looks clear and more on to scale than the ICM canopy. The wheels i use are from True details and are better than the ICM wheels.

I will post some photo's soon

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 06:18:08 AM »

Hi Remco,
If you going to build Galchenko's plane, may be this page about its camouflage could interest you http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1445.0
Regards,
    66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 07:17:46 AM »

Hi Remco and Misos,
yes, that page is interesting. I will update my page on Galchenko taking into account the new informations of that research.

Remco, thank you for your list of aftermarket items, I've one of these kits and I'll build it some day. I've noted the strange thing around the canopy hatch on the right fuselage half. It is a tooling problem, as if some panel lines were made heavily out of register.

Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 07:22:51 AM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
Troy Smith

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 03:18:56 PM »

Hi Remco

just a quick thing to check, I think, from  having read this somewhere, the ICM LaGG -3 is a bit short in rear fuselage, around the hatch,  and the wings are too narrow in chord, I compared one with a Zvezda La-5 and this seems to be the case, as the Zvezda La-5 is accurate, well, I've never seen anyone say it's not!

EDIT - funny, today google was my friend...
http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1248100158/ICM+LaGG-3
from Sergey Kosachev
It's hard to say which exactly LaGG ICM means, it's a kind of hybrid from some early series from various plants. Besides it's more likely 1/50 than 1/48, and the most noticeable issue is too narrow wing chord, and too thin profile.
Here you can dounload the most correct drawings for today with details for all early series from different plants.

http://narod.ru/disk/8249282000/mygrafend.rar.html

The best way to get decent LaGG is to kitbash ICM LaGG-3 with Zvezda La-5 (rasorback).
Vector now makes cockpit for ICM and exterior set is coming soon as well. Also, if you are going to use Eduard's color PE, note that instrument panel should not be black, on all photos has very light color (maybe interior bluish gray, maybe silver) the same correct for La-5 (up to F-series), MiG-3 and IL-2.

Sergey.

Now, from you La-5F build you only used the nose of then La-5, so you might want to compare parts, from memory the difference in the wing is  1 or 2 mm in chord.
You may find it easier to use the remains of the Zvezda La-5 with some parts from the LaGG-3 kit as you already have that spare.

I can, if you wish dig out the respective kits, I also have the South Front and LTD LaGG-3 kits, the SF kit is over size, the LTD is a bit basic, but have not compared the LTD kit with the others as yet.

Hope of interest,  look forward to your build

cheers
Troy
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:32:48 PM by Troy Smith » Logged
Dark Green Man

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 09:48:45 PM »

I have all three of those kits , Troy.

so I am interested in your comparison

and forum members need to remember the the LTD kit represents a later series than SF or ICM

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
4bogreen

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 11:18:11 AM »

Hey guys!

Thanks for the response.

@ 66misos - i want to build the later version of Galchenko's LaGG-3. Its the version with the stars on the side. I will post a photo of it soon

@ Massimo and Troy- the detail on the ICM kit is sometimes rough. I was searching for that post Troy. Thank for posting the link. I was stunned to see that the scale difference was quite big. I have a Zvezda La-5 in my stock, and i wil try to convert it to a LaGG-3. A nice challange Troy. I have a scraped Eduard Yak-3 in the spare parts box, and have an idea to convert the intakes at the wingroot on the La-5. Is that the right size?? think i have to change the title of this thread into Zvezda la-5 conversion into LaGG-3. Hahaha! The only ICM parts i think i use, are the spinner and cooler under the belly...

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 02:31:01 PM »

Hi Remco,
not the engine cowling, then? I would make the panels, maybe on the ground, if the engine is shown. Else, the plane looks uncomplete.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 02:55:44 PM »

Massimo,

That was indeed the plan to make the panels loose on the ground. I have a couple photo's of panels, but that is not much. I am going to try to make them as good as possible, so i can refit some panels on the engine. This build is going to be wild already. I love this challange....

On the bench,
4bogreen

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 12:43:24 PM »

Alright,  i have a Zvezda La -5. Now i have to do some cutting, filling and sanding... are the supercharger intakes oval? Galchenko's lagg was a first series and heavely upgraded to a fourth series. Are there some photo's of behind the seat of the pilot? Especialy the part of the cooler in the fuselage. I noticed a window in the ICM kit behind the cooler. Inhave looked at some photo's of Galchenko's plane, but i can not find the window... Also the oxigen bottle switched places. First at the rear by the pilot seat, then it was moved to the right wall (as on La-5 types). There is a case also behind the pilot seat. What was that or what was in it?

Regards, Remco

On the bench,
Troy Smith

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 03:43:27 PM »

Hi Remco

Wish i knew more about the minutae of this, but I'd just be reffering you to this page
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lagg3/lagg3drawings/lagg3drawings.html

I don't know if any more information has been turned up since.   

HTH
T
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 07:11:43 AM »

Hi Remco, do you mean the cooler outlet? It is closed by a movable flap, it could be invisible on photos when it is closed. The same for the oil cooler outlet under the nose.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 04:47:17 AM »

Thanks for all the respose guys!

@ Troy- I have seen the drawings. Most of the drawings refer to the La-5. It shared a lot of construction plans, but not the fuselage. Especialy the cooler part under the belly. Also the construction of the motormount is a bit blury. I think it looks a bit like the MiG-3 or Yak-1.  I am now busy rebuilding the La-5 wing section. I have cut a bit from the front of the ICM wing section, and glued it tougheter with the charger inlets (i cut of the inlets first because i thought they supose to be oval...not...). I made the housing of the landinglight on the left side. I am now busy with the cooler inlet under the belly. Progress is slow due research and ofcourse not to much time. When the wing section is complete, i post them here.

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 07:10:42 AM »

Hi Remco,
did you see this? It has photos of the restored engine mount and other details.
http://sashapak.livejournal.com/52302.html
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 04:31:31 PM »

Perfect Massimo!!!! Great! Best photos ever! Just what i need!

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
learstang

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 05:35:43 PM »

I shall follow this build with interest, Remco! Good luck with it!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: