Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/48 LaGG-3 "Galchenko" with Klimov engine (ICM kit and Zvezda engine.)
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 09:33:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/48 LaGG-3 "Galchenko" with Klimov engine (ICM kit and Zvezda engine.)  (Read 11802 times)
4bogreen

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 08:12:43 PM »

Hi Jason!

I hope you will enjoy the build. With Massimo's photo's i really want to build the frame right now. Its hard to focus, because there are so much thing i wanted to do with this kit.

This is the type i want to build

...and a little progress on the panels

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
4bogreen

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 12:11:06 PM »

Hey guys,

Progress is slow. This due very close examining of the photo's i have (thanks for the brilliant link Massimo!!!). Altough i said that i would focus on the hull, but that's impossible. Sometimes you have to work on the frame before i can work further on the wing section. This is not a really bad thing because everything gets worked on. I saw that the Vector upper part of the instrument panel is early and the lower part is late. By the Eduard PE, this is vice versa. I will use the Vector parts because the instrument panel of the Eduard PE is black. The instrumentpanel photo's of the early LaGG's displayed a lighter colour (A-14 maybe?? its not that shiny as silver). Currently i am busy with the fuselage parts, wingsection and frame. I decided not to use the Vector sidewalls, but parts of them. Its better to use the Zvezda frame due oncoming fit issues. I have to make everything spot on and perfect, so if i join the fuselage halves, we don't see seams and cracks. If this hapens, it will be impossible to do some fill and restore this. I think that the biggest challenge is to build the belly cooler in the hull (very difficult with al those curves) and the motor frame (i have nice photo's, but you have to build it in 3D, in your head with all the different angles of the tubes). O, anny colour sugestions on the engine bay are very welcome  Cheesy
Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 07:48:32 PM »

Hi Remco,
about the color of the instrument panel: there is an exhibit of DB-3A on Scalemodels.ru that shows clearly traces of light grey, probably AE-9. I think it is the same colors used on many early types.
I think it's irritating to spend so much money on aftermaret items and then have to discard them because of some defects.
Color suggestions... there are photos of the inner side of the cowling of a LaGG-3 somewhere, you can find one here too:
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/colors/internal-colors-primers/internal-colors-primers.html that seems zinc chromate yellow over a layer of red-brown (that should be invisible on a not-worn piece).
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 12:29:57 AM »

Massimo,

Thanks for the color links. The reddish brown is a real surprise. I have to examenate the new info.

The Vector set is not completly useless. The seat, floors and some parts on the wall are useable. You gotta see what i have done with a Wolfpack resin (little bit wrong) wingfold of my Eduard F6f-3 Hellcat... I like to rebuild  or correct the correction set. One of the biggest challanges i have, is the rebuild of the 1/48 Academy Su-27 in to the Su-33.

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 08:02:08 AM »

Hi Remco,
I was surprised too. Such red brown was found on Il-2s too, and is possibly at the base of the past beliefs on Soviet camouflage.
A conversion on a Flanker in 1:48? I fear it risks to become obsolete before its completion. 1/48 Flankers seem popular between Chinese producers.
4bogreen

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 08:57:30 PM »

Hi Massimo,

There are indeed rumors about a 1/48 Su-33. But it is just like rumors about the T-34 STZ (Stalingrad build type), that hit the market in 2007 as a "limited edition". Build by Cyberhobby and better known as the prototype division from Dragon, it was clear that it would be a slam dunk. Sells were great, but they didn't release it under the Dragon flag, leaving people indignant. It would take till 2014 before Dragon released it (again) for series production. So, i think if we getba series production Su-33, it would be definetly two a three years away (beeing optimistic here). There is a very nice Petlyakov pe -2 comming from Zvezda. Their quality is improving every model they make, so i have high expectations. Unfortunally my MPM stash than can go straight to the garbage bin...

Back to the LaGG-3. I have mounted the belly cooler partly under the Zvezda hull. Its a very difficult task due the perfect fit it must have before i finally assamble the hull. Also its wise to paint the cooler and tunnel first before joining the hull. I can't spray the underside of the tunnel inlet then anymore. Also the front were the cockpit windshield is placed on, has been succesfully added. That was a breeze compared to the belly cooler... I think when i am done with this one, i put my MiG-210 project on the shelf, and finnish my plagued MiG-3. Or i can do an easy build, like a
 Yak-9u...

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 06:24:50 AM »

Hi Remco,
about the Su-33, much depends on what is the time horizon previded for the building, and if you have already built conversion kits. The worst thing, in my opinion, would be an announce of a new kit while you are still working on the conversion.
The I-210 project is interesting, but beware: it's not a simple installation of a new nose on a MiG-3. The fuselage of I-210 was fatter, as recognizable from side photos. I don't know if any good drawing exists. Perhaps the best one is on a Polish publication, Migi Stalina, but it's still with the usual rear fuselage.
Yes, if you have still a nose from a La-5, this conversion is a low cost option anyway.
Regards
Massimo
Troy Smith

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 02:00:34 PM »

There is a very nice Petlyakov pe -2 comming from Zvezda. Their quality is improving every model they make, so i have high expectations. Unfortunally my MPM stash than can go straight to the garbage bin...

Garbage    no, try ebay.... all sorts of junk sells there.  From what I read the MPM kits are not too bad, just needs new cowlings and canopy....I posted about this on here...

That is assuming Zvezda do a good job....  I also have MPM and Hi PM Pe'2....
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: